Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to eat chicken/other animal bones straight up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to eat chicken/other animal bones straight up?

At dinner tonight my mom cooked a ham and a few cornish hens. I ate quite a bit of the hen meat but noticed that the wing and leg bones and also the ribs were pretty soft and I ate them with even realizing I was doing so.

Well if you're dead tomorrow, I guess the answer is no, eh?

Since we're all drinking bone broth and eating the bones from canned salmon and sardines, bones are not poisonous. The greatest danger is if they aren't soft and get stuck somewhere.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Those smaller bones from birds and fish can be kind of deadly if they get stuck somewhere along the way. I doubt they will be digested unless they were almost jello but that would be pretty strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
        Those smaller bones from birds and fish can be kind of deadly if they get stuck somewhere along the way. I doubt they will be digested unless they were almost jello but that would be pretty strange.
        oh dont say that. they were chewy but with a soft crunch to them, kind of like a pork crackling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
          oh dont say that. they were chewy but with a soft crunch to them, kind of like a pork crackling.
          Sounds like the ones I eat I imagine they're fine, and a great source of calcium.
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

You sure it wasnt just cartilage? If you chewed them up good im sure you will be fine.

Comment

AFAIK, bones do digest easily. Too much calcium is a bad thing (arterial calcification, etc.), so think of it more as a supplement, IMO.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
              X