Beans and lentils

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans and lentils

Can someone explain to me again why these are bad? If I remember correctly, mark does t like them. I am almost done my new book "the great cholesterol myth" (by the two guys who were on oz). They pretty much give you a primal diet except they want you to eat beans and lentils for the following reasons:

More fiber.
    One serving a day lowers heart attack risk by 38%.
    Highest anti oxidant rating per serving size of any food tested.
    Folik acid (anti inflammation)

Obviously I can't site anything, I am just paraphrasing the book here.

It's both a combination of them having too much carbs and too many anti-nutrients (like grains), including gluten, according to Mark's book.

I believe there is some controversy around beans, as I've seen several paleo followers say they do eat beans. And Mark said an occasional use of beans is probably fine. It's when your diet is centered around using beans as your protein source (such as with vegans) that it's not a good thing.

That's my understanding, anyway.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Beans and Legumes | Mark's Daily Apple

Bam!

Antinutients, doses of fiber not good for the gut (fiber's not bad, but at this level it is), and a heavy carb load are his justifications from what I read.

He says that there are worse foods out there (notably grains), but since you can also do so much better than legumes, he doesn't see any real need to include them.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Soak them in warm water and vinegar overnight and, if you want, sprout them for a couple of days and enjoy.

Comment

I doubt they are any worse then nuts and seeds when it comes to anti nutrients. There is no gluten like someone said above. Many varieties contain massive antioxidants and they are high in minerals that may be hard to get elsewhere.

Mainly beans are excluded from a paleo diet because they are a high carb food. If you eat carbs, i see no reason not to eat beans.

Straight from the post above. "In my estimation, legumes fall into the O.K. category with wine, chocolate, cheese and other dairy, etc."

Comment

Beans and lentils are still probably not as nutritious as veg...so I know what I would eat.
            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
            PS
            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
              Beans and lentils are still probably not as nutritious as veg...so I know what I would eat.
              Pound for pound they are probably ten times more nutritious. Why not just eat both? If you like beans of course.

Comment

Depends on the variety of bean too. Some are better than others. It just comes down to preperation again. We didn't evolve with them in the diet way back, but more recently implemented methods that made them edible. So if including use those traditional methods.

Beans are a nice filler if your looking for cheap calories, but thats about it. So if your really trying to get your calories up to gain some mass then they may help. Kinda like rice IMO.
                Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-25-2012, 02:20 PM.

Comment

It seems to me that beans and lentils are bad if your more in to the "weight loss" aspect of primal?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
                    It seems to me that beans and lentils are bad if your more in to the "weight loss" aspect of primal?
                    Likely so. When I was doing the "slow carb" bit ala Ferris, I had them with every meal. They weren't bad, but cutting them made my stomach feel better....far less bloated. Then again I'd still go for beans over grains.....and in most instances even like em better than rice.

Comment

Well, it's up to everyone to look at facts and make their own decisions. For myself, I was glad that I could stop pretending I liked beans and lentils. They don't have anything I can't get from vegetables and meat. But if you really, really like them, then eat 'em.

I'm a little suspicious of claims like "1 serving per day lowers heart attack risk by 38%.' Compared to what? And who? Was there a double blind clinical study with a control? That's the trouble with most of this kind of 'sound bite' stuff. It sounds really good until you dig into a little, then you find there is nothing behind it.
                      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                        I'm a little suspicious of claims like "1 serving per day lowers heart attack risk by 38%.' Compared to what? And who? Was there a double blind clinical study with a control? That's the trouble with most of this kind of 'sound bite' stuff. It sounds really good until you dig into a little, then you find there is nothing behind it.
                        Yeah, that parts obviously bunk made up or borrowed from some garbage fiber study I'm sure.

Comment

My way of looking at it is that a bit of hummus dip at a party isn't going to hurt you (and can be a fairly good option if everything else is SAD food) but I don't actively seek out beans to include in my diet. They just don't seem to pull their weight in terms of nutrient density and I really think all that fiber is not necessary or even good for you. That high fiber mindset is one of the last CW holdouts.

And the "compared to what?" point made above by Siobhan is very true. Most studies showing that fiber filled foods are "healthy" are basically comparing whole grain bread to Wonder bread. Sure whole grain is better but neither is particularly good for you.
                          Last edited by Paleobird; 12-25-2012, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post

We didnt eat all that many, but when I started dieting CW style, I started eating .5 - 1c per day of various types, cuz I thought they were good for me. And I was losing just fine. When I found primal, and cut carbs, I cut them back out, so I am not sure but I am guessing I could still lose weight just fine if I added them back in, provided calories are still in check.

We always soaked them first. That is just the way my momma always did it.
                            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Actually in terms of nutrition, beans are pretty good. 1 cup of cooked black beans is only 227 calories but has 30% magnesium, 64% Folate, 28% thiamin, 38% mangenese, and a good amount of many others. As far as how much gets absorbed due to fiber content, that i am not sure but that can be said for "nutritious" veggies.

Also Paleobird, why do you believe higher fiber is not good for you? I dont really think its that great either but i thought a high fiber diet was part of a primal/paleo diet. I have seen people quote that paleo ancestors ate upwards of 100g fiber a day,

Comment

Working...
                              X