Costco has 54 oz coconut oil - $16.99!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
    Is that Costco brand butter, or another? I see nothing labeled grass-fed in our Costco. We do buy meats there, rather than the regular grocery, because Costco has a decent selection of organic meats.
    It's Kerrygold at ours. It's by the fancy cheese section, not with the "regular" buter.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeF View Post
      It's Kerrygold at ours. It's by the fancy cheese section, not with the "regular" buter.
      Gah! We have Kerrygold cheddar, but no butter. I am visiting family in Naperville, IL and there's Kerrygold butter in the regular grocery stores here. I have to go to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.
      50yo, 5'3"
      SW-195
      CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
      GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

I didn't see any grass fed meats but did find organic beef and chicken. The coconut oil was $15.99 for 54 oz which was a good deal.

i renewed my membership based on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshy View Post
          I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think all of the large coco oil companies(ex:Tropical traditions) package their big tubs of coconut oil in plastic. As long as your not leaving it out in the sweltering heat you should be good. I usually transfer mine to an old spaghetti jar that I've run through the diswasher, so that could be an option if you really wanted to play it safe.
          How do you know that they weren't in sweltering heat before being shipped to the Costco you bought it from? I know it's highly paranoid of me to ask, but just wondering.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
            How do you know that they weren't in sweltering heat before being shipped to the Costco you bought it from? I know it's highly paranoid of me to ask, but just wondering.
            No way to tell really. The distribution company is Carringting Farms out of NJ. It says Organic/cold pressed/ from the Phillipines. Probably comes from the same lot as all the other companies out of the Phillipines.

Comment

Now that we are getting back on our feet, financially, this is one of the items on my 'stock up' list. I can't wait until I have ten jars lined up in my spare room. I feel certain the sight will give me a warm feeling all over.

Comment

For the Canadian peeps I just bought 1.5KG (58 OZ) tub of Carrington Farms cold pressed organic coconut oil at the Edmonton West Costco for $16.99 which is a very good deal.
                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                PS
                Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                  Is this just US or Canada too?
                  I was gonna mention but was beat to it, that yes, the coconut oil is in Canadian Costco's too.

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                  Do they have Costco in Canada? I didn't think they did. I remember an article about Canadians crossing the border just to go to Costco, and some of the Americans there having a serious (and lame) attitude problem about it. Maybe there just wasn't one in that partular part of Canada.
                  Costco is an international company, with stores across the Canada, the UK, Mexico, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and now into Australia as of last year.

Comment

Originally posted by HillsideGina View Post
                    Carrington Farms, unrefined, organic, cold pressed, from Philippines. Best deal I've seen. Costco is pretty cutting edge for a mainstream store - grass-fed butter, grass-fed ground beef and they are opening their own beef processing plant in California soon. I think they want to source more grass-fed beef and found they couldn't do it without the processing plant. Hope, hope, hope!
                    In the KC Costcos we have the same coconut oil as well as Kerrygold butter (and cheese). No grass-fed beef (ground or otherwise). Here's hoping though...
                    LastBottleWines

Comment

Woo hoo, just found it in the south Winnipeg Costco as well. It's the FIRST TIME EVER that I've seen coconut oil at all in a Canadian Costco. Same brand and price as Dirlot found in Edmonton. Needless to say, I bought 2 jars. I pay around that much for half the amount of Nutiva at Superstore.
                      Last edited by Greensprout; 12-29-2012, 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Yep. My mom works and Costco and when she told me about that.....I zoomed on over there. Costco rocks!!!
                        I also just started making my own Paleo Kits using the Jerky and nut/fruit mix and Coconut bags they sell.
                        Primal (2013)
                        Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
                        Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Comment

I tried looking around ours yesterday and couldn't find any! What section was it in?

Comment

I was going to post about this!
                            What are your guys' thoughts on Costco as a primal resource in general? I used to shop there to save money but have since joined a co-op and am enjoying the local grass-fed burger an awful lot, even though its pricey. I was thinking of going back for some produce, fruit and dairy. Their half-gallon cartons of heavy cream lasted forever and I loved them, but I wanted to be as grass fed as possible.
                            Also in mine, there isn't a lot of grass fed meat. Maybe some ground beef but I'm not sure. The organic chicken was all skinless, boneless chicken breast--yuck. I miss steak and steak-like cuts of beef. I can't afford them at the co-op ($25ish/lb for grass fed! I don't trust the stuff at the regular grocery store anymore)
                            January 14th-306.2
                            January 21st, lost 2" off my waist.
                            January 30th-300.2

Come to the edge she said.
                            No, I'll fall.
                            Come to the edge.
                            No, it's too high.
                            Come to the edge.
                            I came
                            She pushed
                            And I flew

Comment

Apparently the Costco in Hawaii sells for $17.99 for 2 lbs. WHAT? :\
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodeuskraemer View Post
                                I was going to post about this!
                                What are your guys' thoughts on Costco as a primal resource in general? I used to shop there to save money but have since joined a co-op and am enjoying the local grass-fed burger an awful lot, even though its pricey. I was thinking of going back for some produce, fruit and dairy. Their half-gallon cartons of heavy cream lasted forever and I loved them, but I wanted to be as grass fed as possible.
                                Also in mine, there isn't a lot of grass fed meat. Maybe some ground beef but I'm not sure. The organic chicken was all skinless, boneless chicken breast--yuck. I miss steak and steak-like cuts of beef. I can't afford them at the co-op ($25ish/lb for grass fed! I don't trust the stuff at the regular grocery store anymore)
                                I love Costco, although spring-autumn we try to use CSA/local produce and I buy (almost) all my meat from local grass-fed/pasture farmers.

What I buy from Costco (food): EVOO (just got in some nice Tuscan I've tried before), aforementioned coconut oil, King Oscar sardines in olive oil, wild-caught fish, smoked salmon, pickled herring, "in a pinch" fruit and veggies, lots of different cheeses, the occasional rack of lamb ribs, herbs and sea salt, Pellegrino sparkling water, heavy cream...

Comment

Working...
                                X