How many carbs for ketosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many carbs for ketosis

As the title suggests, I would like to know how many carbs one would heave to eat to get into ketosis. I've been getting around 20, almost exclusively from eggs, bacon, almonds, and a bit of lemon on my chicken. Is this low enough for ketosis?

Thanks for the help!
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

It all depends on your body, but sub-20 should put you into ketosis. Honestly, though, I wouldn't worry too much about whether you're in ketosis or not. As long as you have your carbs that low you WILL be burning fat, no matter what something like ketostix tell you.

Comment

On Mark's carbohydrate curve, it states that 0g-50g would put you in ketosis/fat burning but it really depends on the individual. 20g sounds good to me-- I usually do about 10g-30g myself per day

Comment

FWIW. 20g of net carbs is the magic Atkins number that he uses to get people into ketosis during the Induction phase. Given his experience with patients, I'd think 20g of carbs would certainly get you there.

Comment

Below 50 will most definitely put you in ketosis. I honestly wouldn't rely on ketostix, based on water consumption, feedback loops, and time in ketosis, the results could be totally skewed. Some people say below 100 will too (baseline requirement for brain's glucose)
          sigpic
          In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

I am finding that although I am adhering strictly to the sub 50g carbs per day I am not seeing any meaningful fat loss results. I am consuming sufficient protein (i.e. 150 g/day at a weight of 165), maintaining the workouts and rest regime yet finding that after the initial loss of some fat I have certainly plateued. This leaves me rather confused as to how low must I get my carb intake to get the last bit of tenacious fat off. Your collective advice would be sincerely welcomed.

Comment

Newbe how long have you been in ketosis for? I like to incorporate a re-feed every 7-10 days depending on your goals to up-regulate the beneficial hormones.
              sigpic
              In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

As EGY stated, weekly (primal)carb re-feeds definitely help to blast through a plateau and get rid of a little extra vanity fat, especially with a 24h fast following the re-feed. I also found it helpful to completely eliminate dairy and nuts from my diet.

This is based completely on my own experience, YMMV.

Comment

Ditto on the refeed and 24 fast afterward! This has worked fantastic for me and I'm down to 11.8% bodyfat (female).

Comment

I am kind of in the same situation as Newbie and have been through one 38hr fast... What is a "re-feed" a few of you have mentioned? Do you mean eat more carbs than usual and then follow it up by an IF? Curious to hear more about the "re-feed"...!

Comment

Originally posted by ToniWA View Post
                      Ditto on the refeed and 24 fast afterward! This has worked fantastic for me and I'm down to 11.8% bodyfat (female).
                      umm exactly how healthy is this??? do you even get a period???
                      Get on my Level
                      http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Fasts and fat.

What are your macronutrient ratios? Lower the protein, increase the fat. Above 65% for fat loss. Something like 70% fat / 20% protein / 10% carbs is idea.

Also yes to carb cycling and fasting.

Comment

Suki, what do you recommend regarding the cyle of fasting and carb refeeding? As in 5 days VLC and 1 day carb loading then 1 day fasting, repeat? Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. I have been in ketosis for about 9-10 days. I would also like to understand what you mean by the re-feed exactly and the subsequent fast. Specific examples would be appreciated (i.e. type and volume of food consumed at what frequencies). Thanks for the help.

Comment

to lower the BF through ketosis, no matter what other ppl say, you need to have intake deficit. While on ketosis & exercising you could almost shred a pound of bf a day if you watch the intake. This can go to incredible results in very short amount of time... weeks instead of months.

Create a 2-3k cals deficit a day balancing exercising and fat intake (on a less than 10g carbs a day) and you get to 3 pounds of bf out per week. Almost 15 lb bf per month. You dont need to do this forever, but until you meet your goals, then go back to your normal PB/Paleo ways of eating and exercising.

Comment

Working...
                              X