Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If one wanted to go "nut free" that should eliminate seeds right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If one wanted to go "nut free" that should eliminate seeds right?

pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, cashews(i guess).

i mean they contain the same compounds and similar fatty acid profiles.

Yes, all seeds are toxic. Actually, some versions of paleo (Art DeVincy, iirc) wanted you to eliminate seeds and allowed some nuts, considering seeds more toxic.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Seeds are toxic? *spits out pumpkin seeds on to laptop*

Comment

Originally posted by Jesster View Post
        Seeds are toxic? *spits out pumpkin seeds on to laptop*
        I never did understand why nuts and seeds were allowed but legumes and non gluten grains were not. Seems to me that the former can have just as much or more toxins.

Comment

How are seeds toxic? PUFA?

In ayurveda they say that the seeds of plants were the most nutritious thing you could eat, cos' it's what the plant grows from. Some cross over with CW there...
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I am not saying I believe it, but the logic of those Paleo authors was: The seed is not designed to be digested; the seed is designed to pass through the digestive track and stay behind in the poop, and then grow into a new baby plant. Therefore seeds have chemicals that prevent them from being broken and protect them and therefore are toxic.

And, yes, I agree that the same logic applies to nuts and legumes. So if one chooses to not eat one of them for that reason, it makes sense to include all of them.

Not eating grains imo has a different advantage in my humble, but that is a diversion so I will shut up. Gotta go skating anyway.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Or a vasectomy...

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                How are seeds toxic? PUFA?

In ayurveda they say that the seeds of plants were the most nutritious thing you could eat, cos' it's what the plant grows from. Some cross over with CW there...
                Anything that a plant produces to be made into another plant with have defense mechanisms so animals wont or cant eat them. Actually pretty much any plant food will be like this, seeds just seem to he the most concentrated.

Comment

Do hemp and chia seeds contain the same stuff as nuts and other seeds people consided toxic?

Comment

I think it's a matter of cost /benefit analysis.

All nuts, seed, grains, veggies, *all vegetation* has some anti-nutrients. It's just a matter of picking the ones that give you the most nutritional bang for the buck. Grains are clearly not worth the tradeoff.

You can pry my macadamia nuts from my cold dead hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
                      Do hemp and chia seeds contain the same stuff as nuts and other seeds people consided toxic?
                      Yes. Some stuff definitely shouldnt be for human consumption but someone will spin it into a health food anyway.

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      I think it's a matter of cost /benefit analysis.

All nuts, seed, grains, veggies, *all vegetation* has some anti-nutrients. It's just a matter of picking the ones that give you the most nutritional bang for the buck. Grains are clearly not worth the tradeoff.

You can pry my macadamia nuts from my cold dead hands.
                      Agreed.

Some cultures see almonds almost as divine food. Same with rice and beans, these are essential foods for 3/4 of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                        Yes. Some stuff definitely shouldnt be for human consumption but someone will spin it into a health food anyway.
                        Right like when some genius figured out that bran which was only used for animal fodder could be spun into heart healthy cereals.

Some cultures see almonds almost as divine food. Same with rice and beans, these are essential foods for 3/4 of the world.
                        Rice and beans are "essential" only because they are a cheap source of calories. That does not make them optimal human food.

As far as the O3/O6 tradeoff plus the anti nutrient factor, mac nuts are the best (Mark did an article all about nuts.) Almonds, IIRC, were a close second.

Comment

Rice and beans are "essential" only because they are a cheap source of calories. That does not make them optimal human food.
                          You should go to Mexico and South America and tell them that. Then head over to Asia and the Middle East. Then maybe come up here and tell the local Native Americans.

There is so much more to food then the sum of its nutrients.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                            You should go to Mexico and South America and tell them that. Then head over to Asia and the Middle East. Then maybe come up here and tell the local Native Americans.

There is so much more to food then the sum of its nutrients.
                            I've lived in Latin America and visited Asia. Just because poor people are getting enough calories to survive and reproduce on a food, does not make it optimal human food. Your genes don't care what happens to you after you reproduce and get the young ones up and running. Optimal nutrition has to be about more than that if one is going to live past ones reproductive years and live it well.

Comment

I've lived in Latin America and visited Asia. Just because poor people are getting enough calories to survive and reproduce on a food, does not make it optimal human food. Your genes don't care what happens to you after you reproduce and get the young ones up and running. Optimal nutrition has to be about more than that if one is going to live past ones reproductive years and live it well.
                              Not just the poor people eat these staples. Did you ever think the the macronutrient carbohydrate has something to do with these peoples health and longevity?

Comment

Working...
                              X