Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm mostly dairy free (lactose intolerant) I can use butter or ghee, and goat and sheep cheeses. So very little dairy. Mostly I use coconut milk, coconut oil, bacon fat for cooking, animal fat, eggs, I think that's it.

Comment

• Hey, if anyone is interested, I saw that Marks Sauces and dressings book has dropped by $3. It's not $16 something instead of 19 something. If anyone was on the fence (like me) it might be time to buy it (I luckily have an Amazon gift card I can use!!)
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
        this is turning out to be an eye opening time for lots of us! Figuring out triggers and learning how to "un-cock" them is key to winning the battle! Keep up the great work you guys!!!
        This is so true Tomi!

I've been doing this a long time, not completely for weight loss you know... but because I have other medical issues that eating HFLC helps to control.

When I started I never realized how much it would change my relationship with food.
        How I would slowly just stop having the triggers/binges.
        I think that you have to do the self examination and reflection along with the diet for an extended period... but I also think it's worth it.
        Yes, set backs happen! Like with Paula or Ayla this week.
        But you say to your self, "Why did that happen?" and get right back on the horse...
        And after a while, at least for me, the incidents get further and further apart.

The last incident, just before x-mas, I had was months apart from any other binge as far as I can remember... I had already flown to my family's in TN twice for an illness/death in the family situation, I have a history of abuse in my family so visiting them is extra stressful, and I was having to go back for the 3rd time in 3months at x-mas (missing x-mas with my husband in the process) to pick up my son and bring him home.
        What did I binge on... a can of "lite" Whipped cream. The kind you tip up and dispense right into your mouth. Not the lite lower fat stuff... the artificially sweetened kind. The BIG bottle. I ate it over two days... but most of it on one. The first day some of it went into my coffee and a few shots went in my mouth. The second day... all the WHIP, in my mouth!
        Honestly not the worst binge I can ever think of.
        But I had just written an entire post in my journal about how I thought I was past all bingeing.
        Nope... it just takes so much MORE.

Most of you have probably noticed that I don't track.
        I have in the past. And my macros do vary a bit from day to day... for me this is fine since I'm already in the "long haul" phase of this... not the initial phases where one needs motivation to keep going. If I see no weight loss for a week or only 1lb, it doesn't phase me anymore. I'm a slow and steady journey kind of girl.
        For me this is just me doing what I do all the time.
        It's a great little reset after the x-mas travel where my family tried to kill me with inappropriate food...
        And I can offer support maybe.
        Last edited by cori93437; 01-15-2013, 11:13 AM.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Okay, I made the cream cheese clouds. What I love about this recipe is the flexibility. I used mascarpone, salted butter, coconut butter, vanilla, blackberry honey and cocoa powder. After a few tweaks to tone down the greasy aftertaste my hubby was noticing (add more coconut butter) I am pleased to report that they are setting up quickly in the fridge. DH says it tastes just like a good chocolate mousse. Maybe it will keep him from eating quite so much crappy ice cream!
          Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
            I don't think so Rosemary. I eat brussel sprouts and haven't gained any weight from them. Just add bacon!
            I've always eaten them too. I looked up the nutrition and the 1 carb is cancelled out by the 1 net carb and no sugar. I was almost positive it was on this thread. Thanks.

Comment

• is creamed coconut (like this one: Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut, 7-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food) the same as coconut butter (like this one: Artisana 100% Organic Raw Coconut Butter -- 16 oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food)

If it is, then I have some at home already. My question, does coconut BUTTER have to be refrigerated like creamed coconut?

Comment

• No, coconut butter is more like coconut oil... but with WAY more coconut flavor.
                ***EDIT: I lied! It seems there are two kinds of creamed coconut and the one you posted is the same as coconut butter.
                Coconut butter, creamed coconut, and coconut manna are all pretty much the same thing.
                I was confusing the creamed coconut with another sweetened coconut milk product that comes in a can. Derp

Anyway... It's basically dried coconut meat, with no water left in it, ground into a fine paste. So just the oil is left in it.

I generally have the Coconut Manna version on hand... I think they are close to the same. Here is a little thing that explains.
                Artisana Coconut Butter Vs. Nutiva Coconut Manna
                Last edited by cori93437; 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM.
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Cori.. I have been thinking about it.. you need a webcam for your aquarium I can look at to de-stress during the day!
                  Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• The reason I ask is b/c Mark posted a blog showing that the two are different. (Yes, he also talks about coconut cream, which IS different (it comes from a can)).

The creamed coconut I linked is what I can buy here at home for less than $3, but is supposed to be refrigerated between uses. The coconut butter I posted says refrigeration is not recommended, thus my confusion. Mark says creamed coconut is just the meat... here. I guess the difference is texture b/c of the oil content??

Creamed coconut, he says, has a higher fat content (by 4 grams). 2 tbsp = 1 oz according to Google.

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
                      cori.. I have been thinking about it.. You need a webcam for your aquarium i can look at to de-stress during the day!
                      +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 and all the +1's it takes to reach infinity!!

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
                        Cori.. I have been thinking about it.. you need a webcam for your aquarium I can look at to de-stress during the day!
                        LOL
                        You know... one of these days!
                        Maybe when I set up a the new tank and rebuild the old one as a biotope I'll set up cameras and be all techie and cool.

Right now Spike (the little guy with the unicorn horn) is begging for food like the piglet he is.
                        My anemone... (Oh wow I just remembered I managed ot get a pic of that uploaded) is fat and happy because I fed it some octopus tentacle last night...

And I need to get in there and get wet to do a little cleaning and put an Acan coral colony back upright because a big PITA turbo snail bulldozed it over sideways last night.

One clown fish(the big female) is snuggled up in the anemone, and the little male clown is making a fish taco of himself in the Duncan coral where he slides himself between the multiple heads and all you can see is his little face and tail peeking out... this happens because the female rules the roost and sometimes boots the little male from the bed.
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Seaweed, go to the first post in this thread. There is an explanation on how to figure out macros. Once you have those then to get calories you multiply fat gram by 9, protein and carb grams by 4 then add them all together and that is your calories.
                          Thankyou =) i get about 1200 that way if i keep my fat grams at about double my protein grams. still carnivoring and onto day 8 so i am still having way too much protein. prob equal to the fat gs but still looking thinner every day. i was only originally going to carnivore for a week so will change it all this week. just difficult in the school hols when i have kids to feed. i kinda feel guilty giving them nachos when i am eating steak tartare. not that they would eat steak tartare anyways!

Comment

• just as an fyi and for future reference, I posted the link to that article on getting fat for NK in our recipe group. I know it isn't a recipe but the question gets asked so often I thought it would be easier to find it there.

I am just slowly decreasing my protein grams, they were way high at first but pretty much in line most days now. Funny thing is I tried a plan in which I was trying high protein and had trouble hitting the mark! Go figure.
                            Chris
                            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                            Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Mine comes out to 50g protein, 25g carbs, and 100g fat... My question is how do you get that much fat in your diet without accumulating more protein than you're supposed to have? I think since I started trying to eat primal, I've been eating a ton of protein, and I feel like I'm gaining weight....

Comment

• Ha, posted before I saw where you said you posted a link to the fat vs. protein question.. sorry Where is the link you mention above?
                                Last edited by nivia; 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X