Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my night time magnesium supplement includes calcium and D3. Wonder if that makes a difference?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Vitamin D is the "sunshine" vitamin. Not a good idea to take that at night!
      Depression Lies

Comment

• What about xylitol? According to my low carb for performance book they don't count, what do y'all think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
          Gwamma I have been taking mag at night, but I think I will move it to the am because it tends to keep me awake for a while. Not sure why.
          That is interesting, I havn't found that it keeps me awake. The other thing that I do most nights is read, lying down. I am often asleep within two pages of my book.
          Good luck !

The scale at mine is still moving down, however official weigh in isn't until monday. And yes i know I know that I should step away from the scale Gwamma........but I cannot help myself ! This MCT oil is filling me up nicely - so will continue that in the short term.
          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally Posted by geostump
            One really bad day can cause you to gain 4 pounds. Pisses me way off.

Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
            Isn't that the truth! It doesn't even have to be much at all to cause the weight to go up. For my own mental sanity I'm going to weigh twice a month instead of every day. Do day to day fluctuations matter as much as long term progress? I'm so tired of being cranky about it in the morning. Not quite ready to divorce the scale, though.
            This is how I feel at the moment...I seem to be on a downward spiral spin...I want to stop it, but in some ways I don't..(bi polar ) I seem to have jumped 3 lbs over nite. I have started riding my exercise bike 15 min + per day. Ever since then, I am craving food, I feel fatter, look fatter. Pants fitting tighter..Not sure if its me or the exercise. But this is not the direction I want to go in

Thanks for letting me rant

Comment

• NW, it is only about 500IU of D3 if I remember correctly, and I seem to remember that I started using it because the calcium and D3 were supposed to help the magnesium metabolize? I could be way off though, but I fall asleep faster and sleep better since I started, could be coincidence or something else I changed though. I do 2,000IU in the morning, but I tested as deficient.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                NW, it is only about 500IU of D3 if I remember correctly, and I seem to remember that I started using it because the calcium and D3 were supposed to help the magnesium metabolize? I could be way off though, but I fall asleep faster and sleep better since I started, could be coincidence or something else I changed though. I do 2,000IU in the morning, but I tested as deficient.
                Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium should be taken together. D3 is pretty useless if it's not taken with fat/in a liquid form (stabilized in fat like olive oil), since it's fat soluble. I'm not sure why it's often paired with Mag or Cal. At that amount, if you don't notice any issues, I'm sure it's okay. 500 IU is not very much.

If you're deficient, I don't know if 2000 IU in the morning would be enough. I had to supplement at 10,000 IU per day for several months before I could forget to take it for several days and not feel gloomy and tired on rainy days. But I had also been severely deficient for many years and have gut issues.
                Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                  NW, it is only about 500IU of D3 if I remember correctly, and I seem to remember that I started using it because the calcium and D3 were supposed to help the magnesium metabolize? I could be way off though, but I fall asleep faster and sleep better since I started, could be coincidence or something else I changed though. I do 2,000IU in the morning, but I tested as deficient.
                  I take 15,000 UI a day... and I've never been tested. Overkill you think?
                  Primal since March 5, 2012
                  SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• when I was tested, I was given a prescription for some unGodly amount (maybe 100,000 once a week?). I took that for a while (over a year) then tested ok. the 2,000 daily is what I consider a maintenance dose. But it wouldn't hurt to double it up on rainy days. My gloomy and tired levels are pretty consistent and pretty low (ie. not effected by rainy days and I am rarely gloomy and if tired it has to do with lack of sleep). I will have her check the level when I go next time.

I also have gut issues, but lower (large) intestine stuff (IBD) which has less effect on vitamin absorption that upper (small) intestine problems.

Jenn, if it works it is probably ok. seems like a lot to me if you haven't been tested but I personally err on the side of less supplementation rather than more.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• Try not taking it for a week. If you don't feel gloomy (and it's overcast) or unusually/inexplicably tired, you're probably fine. Good to get the levels tested when you can, to know for sure. Ask for it at your annual physical, assuming you go .
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
                        So I'm back up to 210 pounds. Not sure if the binge on Tuesday did anything to me or if I need to lower things a tad calorie wise. Clothes are still loose so that is good but damn.
                        Good that clothes are loose, hope the scales are down again soon

Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                        I was plugging along nicely yesterday and then got hungry for sweets. So I made a "fat bomb" of sorts. I wanted to finish my almond butter so I took the jar (had about 4T left in it), and added an equal amount of CO. Then microwaved it till I could mix it up. Then I put in a little liquid stevia and added enough unsweetened coconut to turn it into a paste. Put tablespoon fulls on a plate and froze them. I ate 4. They were good. Next time I will do it without the Almond Butter, I don't really care for it so I won't spend the money anymore.

Anyway it threw all the stats off...

Calories 2124
                        Carbs 35g (spot on) Fiber 18g so 17g Net
                        Fat 193 (way high, 140 is goal)
                        Protein 82 (tad high, 70 is goal)

DH and I had a little back and forth discussion going on about a bunch of small things we have been letting ride. No big deal, but irritating. I suspect it helped to feed my need for sweet. Today is another day!

p.s. Saw an article that was talking about the cost of dieting, and it mentioned not wasting money on fad diets that it would be better instead to go for diet books that emphasized lifestyle change such as ...1. Eat to Live, 2. Wheat Belly, 3. Practical Paleo! interesting huh?

p.p.s. Hi to GP!
                        You are doing great

Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
                        Oh, stay. I was just in a "pity poor me, everyone likes him better" mood. No need for you to lurk when you con be an asset to this thread.
                        I agree, please hang out here GP

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                        One really bad day can cause you to gain 4 pounds. Pisses me way off.
                        Crazy shit that hey.

Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                        This is where I've had to go. Frankly, I can tell when I've gained, if I listen to my body. The day to day fluctuations were causing some real mental angst. I'm focusing now on getting "into the zone" and staying there (I keep going in and out, grrr).
                        I am getting good at listening to my body, but right now I am enjoying seeing the scales go down, so will keep weighing until it stresses me out.

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                        I'm not sweating the high cal days, b/c I follow Mark's logic on that one. I am tracking to ensure I keep my fat up and my carbs low.

No movement on the scale today. Still 190. I'm ok with that.
                        Maybe tomorrow, you will get a drop.

Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
                        What about xylitol? According to my low carb for performance book they don't count, what do y'all think?
                        It might not count towards carbs or whatever, but I would still not eat it.
                        I don't eat any sweeteners at all. If I bake for my family I use coconut sugar, but its rare.

Comment

• Went down another 1.1 lbs overnight
                          this is the most movement ive seen on the scales in 8 months. Even back then I didn't go down each day.
                          I am down nearly 5 lbs in almost 2 weeks. Maybe not huge, but for me it is

Comment

• Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                            Went down another 1.1 lbs overnight
                            this is the most movement ive seen on the scales in 8 months. Even back then I didn't go down each day.
                            I am down nearly 5 lbs in almost 2 weeks. Maybe not huge, but for me it is
                            Ayla that is wonderful. It feels so good when the scales are finally moving after a long hibernation...keep doing what you are doing
                            G x
                            "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• I use liquid stevia. I used to use xylitol, then I realized it was messing with my tummy. I need sweet stuff so I can't go without at least not yet.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                                Try not taking it for a week. If you don't feel gloomy (and it's overcast) or unusually/inexplicably tired, you're probably fine. Good to get the levels tested when you can, to know for sure. Ask for it at your annual physical, assuming you go .
                                I didn't take it today and have felt blah all day long. it is overcast out as well. But to be fair, I didn't take ANY of my supplements today - no B12, no cod liver... none of it.
                                Primal since March 5, 2012
                                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Working...
                                X