No announcement yet.

Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to post my experience in the last week with PS and green bananas (frozen). I have been following a ketogenic diet for months with good results but got interested from the FreetheAnimal blog about RS. I have done lots of research and started doing a smoothie a day - similar in content to the one that Richard Nikoley wrote about in a recent blog post. I have had NO gas or intestinal issues since starting straight with 2 TBS potato starch mixed with 1/2 frozen green banana, 1 capsule each of the probiotics that Richard recommends, water, some almond milk, Jarrow Inulin FOS, and some Jay Robb Vanilla or Chocolate protein powder. I drink this on an empty stomach and it keeps me full for hours. But again, NO GAS. So now, after reading all these posts in this thread, I am kinda worried that I don't have any gas. I am hoping that it is because my gut was in pretty good shape before I started this protocol. I am still in ketosis - via blood and urine testing - and have no cravings or hypoglycemic issues for all of you worried that this will knock you out of ketogenic fat burning mode. So my recommendation from my experience is take the PS on an empty stomach WITH probiotics to reduce gas.

Comment

• I LOVE this thread, thank you all so much!!! I stumbled over it last week looking for something else, and have been reading all about RS here, there, and everywhere on various blogs. All the comments, too. The quick version is I've been eating a couple of Tsps. of PS in yogurt before a meal, had already been eating rice and potatoes per the PHD regime. It's only been about 4 days and my energy is way up, and the brain fog is gone, gone, gone after...decades? Wait till the AOR probiotics are delivered...

Anyway, wanted to mention that in our local Asian grocery store I found frozen grated cassava...is that a decent RS source? Just grabbed it 'cause it was there.

In their fridge case I found "konnyaku" that was translated as "yam cake" but it's not made of yams. It's konjac and according to Wikipedia: "Konjac supplementation at modest levels has been shown to promote increased butyric acid through improved bowel flora ecology and increase bowel movements in constipated adults." Sounds good to me, haven't eaten it yet. It's supposedly eaten more for its texture.

They also had mung bean starch, so yay! Is it just me or does the dry starch have a "squeaky" feeling to it? I noticed that with the PS, and in the store there were two plastic bags of "bean starch" but one felt squeaky and the other didn't, so I got the first one. Actually, the other one was labeled "green bean powder" but the store employee said it was mung bean starch...possibly was cooked flour.
      Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

• Energy!
        I love this thread and all the RS blogs too, especially all the comments

I saw maca powder at my local HF store yesterday, is that RS?

K

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
          Hard to say what's going on with you. Just do 1/2 TBS a day and work your way up to 1-2TBS over a month if you want to take a slow approach. also think about adding a couple probiotics, fermented food/drinks, and maybe try plantain flour instead of PS, or just eat RS rich foods.
          Thanks Tatertot!

Already on the pro/prebiotic supplements, Prescript-Assist, an L. Plantarum supplement as well as the sacchy yeast stuff.

I hear you on the fermented foods, I've got a batch of sauerkraut already fermenting (about a week in) and I've got some kefir grains on the way. Eating loads of raw salads including onion (red and white), garlic, tomato, apple, various leaves and doing stir frys with leaks, onion, carrot, garlic, sweet potato etc so I should be getting plenty of prebiotics, also drinking this milk everyday and eating some probiotic yoghurt with various berries/green banana.

Also eating over a pound of white potatoes a day, dry roasted in the oven in a dollop of beef tallow or VCO and then cooled in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours or sometimes overnight, I always eat them cold instead of reheated.

Just a thought, but in the RS content of foods list I'm pretty sure roasted/cooled potatoes are listed at 15-20 g of RS per 100 g, if this is correct then my pound of roasties could be netting me 75 g + of RS, then add in 4 TBSP of PS, 2 green bananas, heck! I could be taking in over 100 g of RS a day! No wonder I'm farting like there's no tomorrow! Have already reduced PS to 2 TBSP, may reduce further if I feel I'm getting enough RS from food.

I'm beginning to think the fatigue I felt the other day may just be due to having worked a shed load of 12 hr night shifts over the last few weeks. Back on a 12 hr night tonight but feeling good, fatigue gone and had a great dead lift session before coming in (the methane thrust helped me up with the bar on several occasions.)

Will keep you posted, cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
            Energy!
            I love this thread and all the RS blogs too, especially all the comments

I saw maca powder at my local HF store yesterday, is that RS?

K
            I'm not sure if maca powder contains RS as sold, probably, not sure how much. Maca itself looks like an amazing plant and surely full of RS and other prebiotic fibers. It is probably super healthy, in fact. I'd say maca powder or maca flour would be a great addition to smoothies or even used in gluten free baking. Maca Wiki Article

Originally posted by smit View Post
            Thanks Tatertot!

Will keep you posted, cheers.
            Smit - looks like you got it figured out. Hard to say exactly what level of RS you are getting, but very safe to say you are getting RS from the highest known sources, so you should be good!
            Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Got some potato starch from morrisons in Bradford for 59p, they also had plantain flour which I considered, and many other odd flours that I may well use at some point to experimental baking, but that's another story

The experiment starts on Thursday, coz I'm away tomorrow night and can't be arsed taking it with me
              Twerk - where people in Yorkshire go t'earn a crust.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post

This study shows resistant starches with meals increase fat oxidation that is biologically relevant and could be important for preventing fat accumulation in the long term by effecting total fat balance:
                Resistant starch consumption promotes lipid oxidation
                I'm new to this thread and its super long so maybe this was discussed before but why is lipid oxidation a good thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by breath View Post
                  I'm new to this thread and its super long so maybe this was discussed before but why is lipid oxidation a good thing?
                  lipid oxidation = beta oxidation = burning fat as fuel

Comment

• Thank you.

Has anything been said about potatoes/rice that has been cooked then cooled then heated back up again? How does that affect the RS levels?

I usually make a large batch of potatoes or rice and eat off of it all week...so is it better to reheat or eat it cold for maximum benefit?

Comment

• Hey Tim,

Maybe you can or someone else out there can help me with this. I first commented a few pages back when someone posted about developing a rash and wondering if it was related to increases in histamine producing gut bacteria. Since then my rash (maybe eczema? don't know, never had it before) has exploded on my arms, abdomen, legs and behind the knees. Luckily it hasn't reached my face but I'm getting a little worried. Like I mentioned before, I have a problem with jumping in to things too quickly and I added several things around the same time which really mucks up trying to pinpoint anyone thing.

The rash started slowly but steadily persisted. I'm wondering if it started around the time that I started adding the AOR Pro-3. However, I also added some novel (for me) prebiotic foods around the same time as well (dehydrated burdock, dandelion, maca and more recently jerusalem artichoke). More recently I started making my own kefir from grains and while I haven't consumed much directly (because kefir is so strong I have a pretty intense reaction to it) I have definitely come in contact while making and serving it to my family (I'll lick my finger if I get some on it or have a teaspoon to my RS drink). To complicate things further I had also started supplementing with MSM around the same time (I added this after reading some stuff over at Dr. BG's site but I have since stopped).

Maybe this is a histamine situation, something to do with the accumulated effects? I've read that Lactobacillus, Clostridium and Streptococcus are histamine producing. Obviously, they are normal gut residents but maybe I'm just not ready to process the increase in histamine production (maybe I'm answering my own question)? My plan right now is to stop everything for a couple of days (even RS which I've been getting from Bob's PS and Berry Farm's Plantain flour). I'm afraid that the answer is going to be that I need to go much, much more slowly (my least favorite thing to do!). I'm pretty sure my bug numbers are low and some or several are absent entirely.

I'm probably leaving out important details (I've also had an increase in brain fog and fatigue) but I think those are the relevant details. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I will probably post this over on Dr. BG's site as well.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by JLowBug View Post
                        Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                        Thanks!
                        JLowBug - You are into uncharted territory here. When you throw everything at a problem, without really knowing what the problem really is, it's hard to tell what's going on. You have the right idea--stop everything for a couple weeks and re-start in a controlled fashion.

If I could recommend a path for you to take, it would be to ensure you eat a diet with ample potato/rice/beans cooked, cooled, and reheated (which just answered the question above yours!) to maximize RS, completely avoid wheat, vegetable oils, and any other known allergens, make sure you are exercising/walking, sleeping good, and not drinking alcohol to excess. Then after a couple weeks, assess your situation, consider some stool testing to look for known pathogens, maybe even get a good doc on board with you.

THEN, start with probiotics and low level RS supplement if you want.

Good luck!
                        Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• I tried a couple of potato days last week. Weight down just a bit, did it again this week, but I discovered a food sensitivity. Joint Soreness, tingling in the mouth eating potatoes. Abort.
                          My energy on those 125 or more grams of carbs went through the roof. So after being mostly VLC for years, my goal is 80 - 100 grams of carbs per day, keeping fat a bit more in check. Love the energy.

Comment

• Learning about resistant starch and potato hack, a bit late in the game I know. I tried potatoes only for 3 days last week, then weekend of eating out and red wine, then started potato hack again Monday. For reals this time! No weight loss yet, but I am feeling a little bloated. I have been having 2-3 Yukon gold or red potatoes, nuked with broth and water, 4 times a day. I will try to skip a meal when I am able, but I'm still hungry for 4. Also, just nuked taters for tomorrow. I will start eating cold for increased RS. Thank you tatertot and everyone else who posts here and at FTA! With all of this new-found reading material, how am I ever going to get any sleep!?

And for all the tater haters, it's day 3 and I still love potatoes!

Comment

• Originally posted by maddieaddie View Post
                              And for all the tater haters, it's day 3 and I still love potatoes!
                              Apologies to the tater haters. It's only day 2. It is possible, but highly improbable, that I will also hate them by tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X