• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im still trying to figure the resistant starch content of tiger nuts lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
      GOL Primal Defense Ultra on sale at vitaminshoppe.com for $25.72 plus free shipping on orders over $25 and $1 off $25 w code ONEOFF25. No tax either even though w have VS local.

Just passing along in case you are like me and keep items you want on your watch list until you find a great price
      Thanks for the tip. I got soaked with sales tax since I live in the worse sales tax State in the Union.
      “Let no barrier you face stop you from acting to optimal.” Dr. Jack Kruse

"People who lack the clarity, courage, or determination to follow their own dreams will often find ways to discourage yours. When you change for the better, the people around you will be inspired to change also….but only after doing their best to make you stop." Dr. Jack Kruse

Comment

• "Presumably one can go too far for too long in either direction--from chronic VLC cold torpor to chronic prebiotic+carb pixie dust nitro. My guess is that mixing it up and adding a dash of seasonality makes sense." English please.
        “Let no barrier you face stop you from acting to optimal.” Dr. Jack Kruse

"People who lack the clarity, courage, or determination to follow their own dreams will often find ways to discourage yours. When you change for the better, the people around you will be inspired to change also….but only after doing their best to make you stop." Dr. Jack Kruse

Comment

• Thanks for the HSD link, great reading!
          K

Comment

• Ok I got one for y'all........I just discovered a new potato chip....yes, potato chip! It's by Boulder Canyon, and the ingredients are.....potatoes, avocado oil, and sea salt.....that's it! Now, being a lover of chips, but mostly not eating them because of all the CRAP they are fried in, I bought them. And then I'm thinkin, hmmmm, these potatoes were cooked (fried in avocado oil), then cooled! So, I wonder how much RS is in them!!!!! Any thoughts! BTW they are wonderful!!!
            The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
            SW - 192
            CW - 180
            GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

• Hey Tim,

Thanks so much for writing, I don’t know how you have the time but it is so appreciated. You are everywhere! I love that this is such a small world and am grateful to be a part of it while it is still so early on (I have a feeling that situation is changing as more people figure this stuff out – I know I’ve got a few people in my circles dipping their toes in the water). I am so excited to see where Heisenbug goes; I wait for his new posts like a junkie. Would love to know all the crazy behind the scenes stuff, I bet it is fascinating!

I cannot wait for the book collaboration to come out, I will be the first to pre-order on Amazon (seriously, I’m like a 13 year old fan club president – holding out for the autographed copy!). I feel so hopeful that this is going to be a huge for a lot folks and having all the info. in book form will make it more accessible to people who don’t know how to put all this info. together or just don’t understand how very important it is. In the meantime I will keep reading your posts and dig into the links you sent.
              I get a little gushy about this sometimes (in terms of being thankful and having lots of warm fuzzy feelings for people like you, Dr. Grace, Richard and others who have been so helpful) because this is not just about me. My biggest motivations are my daughter and my husband. My husband has taken care of me and supported me as I’ve struggled with, at times devastating, chronic illness without a complaint. My daughter is 4 ½ and had the misfortune of being born to a mom who was not well, she came 6 weeks early by c-section, was in NICU for 6 days and, because my milk never came in, didn’t have the benefit of breastfeeding. She deserves a chance to be healthy, to not be dependent on others because she is too sick to work, to do the things she wants to do in life and not be limited by feeling crappy and needing to be near a private bathroom most of the time. Maybe I should look at getting sick as a stroke of luck because my process of figuring this out has made her a remarkably healthy kid considering her start (thank goodness I had long been of the opinion that kids should play in the dirt, eat with dirty hands and that anti-bacterials were toxic). She is doing great on the RS & SBO’s and she loooooves the TMI – seriously, she loves few things as much as tooting at will.

I am definitely starting to understand the importance of having the right bugs is – hence the JLowBug which is a reference to my lack of bugs (I’m definitely not a Jennifer Lopez fan). When I get it together I will post more of my story just to have it out there for the record (it’s not generally any different than a lot of other people but the particulars are often so revealing). I will persist with the SBO’s and start over with the additional fibers and ferm. food but try to take it more slowly.

Thanks again!

Namelesswonder,

I hear you, my daughter’s only health struggle is constipation and I can’t see how I could try the butyrate supp. with her since she can’t swallow caps yet. Currently I mix probiotics, FOS & psyllium with potato/plantain starch into her homemade yogurt and fruit but as you know the butyrate stinks like s%#t and I can’t imagine how it tastes. She’s a good sport but I’m pretty sure that would be asking too much.

Though she takes starch & sbo’s we still haven’t made an obvious dent in the constipation but it has only been a few weeks so I’m hoping we just need more time. I’m also hoping the HSD will turn her super smart attention back onto the gut issues though I’m sure it will be awhile with all she has going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleophil View Post
                Tatertot, I've seen some seemingly contradictory info on probiotics, with some reports that they repopulate the gut (and it's therefore better to consume live cultures) and others (mainly from you) that they tune your system to kill bad gut bugs
                I like to think of it as complementary as opposed to contradictory. Think about Grok, eating a half-rotten 'daily apple'. He got yeast, mold, bacteria, and who knows what else. Some may survive the trip, some may not. I think that getting the full spectrum is a big part of probiotics. Live cultures in yogurt type stuff, dead species in cooked sauerkraut, killed off live species in whatever, spores in supplements and foods, you know, the whole shebang.

Originally posted by imp View Post
                Im still trying to figure the resistant starch content of tiger nuts lol
                I'm sure quite low, but full of other good stuff. Have you tried the unpeeled ones? Do this -- soak them overnight in water, then roast in really hot oven or brown in a pan until slightly toasted. OMG! They turn into sweet chocolatey, coffee-beany, coconutty morsels with a nice crunch. Really good when piping hot eaten alongside some dark chocolate.

Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
                Ok I got one for y'all........I just discovered a new potato chip....yes, potato chip! It's by Boulder Canyon, and the ingredients are.....potatoes, avocado oil, and sea salt
                I'd eat 'em! I'm always leery about things fried in really hot oil, but I think as a snack, they sound great. Potato chips are probably the #1 source of RS in the US diet believe it or not.

Originally posted by JLowBug View Post

I am definitely starting to understand the importance of having the right bugs is – hence the JLowBug which is a reference to my lack of bugs (I’m definitely not a Jennifer Lopez fan). When I get it together I will post more of my story just to have it out there for the record (it’s not generally any different than a lot of other people but the particulars are often so revealing). I will persist with the SBO’s and start over with the additional fibers and ferm. food but try to take it more slowly.
                Can't wait to hear your story, bad parts and all, don't sugar-coat it! If you read a lot of places I'm active in, you'll like the book. We are not just re-posting stuff from blogs and comments, but really digging in and compiling ideas from all over that will make people think. So much new stuff out there, it gets mind boggling sometimes. The people I have met thru all this is humbling, but at least they all have one thing in common--getting the word out and not withholding info to become the next big 'guru'. Pretty much everything in the book has been talked about here and on the other blogs, but having it in one place with a flowing narrative is nice, plus charts and graphs to refer to make it handy. This won't be a 'diet plan' that leads to more and more complicated protocols.

Your daughter is lucky to have you! Have you taught her the 'pull my finger' trick yet?
                Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Tater, It sounds like a variety of dead and living, good and bad microorganisms is good, as it gives our systems an overall workout. What do you guess is the most important aspect of probiotic therapy? There are lots of good reviews of Prescript Assist, which I'm currently using, and I think that's dead cultures, so I guess maybe getting the immune system to calm down and accept the good bugs is the biggest part of the overall therapy.

When it comes to sauerkraut, I only like raw. I used to think I hated all sauerkraut until I tried raw sauerkraut.
                  Originally posted by tatertot
                  Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
                  "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleophil View Post
                    What do you guess is the most important aspect of probiotic therapy?
                    The introduction of novel species which bolsters the immune system and fills niches in the biome.
                    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Quick question; anyone in the UK- what potato starch are you getting?

Can't find the Bob's Red Mill Stuff unless I pay £20 for postage, is any other potato starch worth getting?
                      Twerk - where people in Yorkshire go t'earn a crust.

Comment

• ...yesterday I found a 500g bag of pure Mung Bean Starch in the local Asian grocery store (greater Toronto area). Cost was only $1.99, so dirt cheap. Took two tbsp in total, one before dinner, one before bed. The result, I had a fantastic 6hr steady sleep, and I never do that. Most nights I'd be up at minimum six times during that period. Also no joint pain this morning, I was experiencing pain and swelling while using the potato starch. So perhaps the MBS is going to be the fix?? Tater, PM me if you want me to mail you a bag of it!...hebs

ps...they also sell frozen Cassava root in the Asian stores, $1.49 for a 500g bag. Boiled and then fried in EVCO, makes for a nice warm potato-chip like snack

Comment

• Originally posted by Something Witty View Post
                          Quick question; anyone in the UK- what potato starch are you getting?

Can't find the Bob's Red Mill Stuff unless I pay £20 for postage, is any other potato starch worth getting?
                          Infinity foods potato flour - available from a lot of health food shops and also online. Despite being called "flour", it is made from raw potatoes so is in fact starch

Comment

• Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                            Infinity foods potato flour - available from a lot of health food shops and also online. Despite being called "flour", it is made from raw potatoes so is in fact starch
                            Thanks
                            They may even carry that in my local hippy food emporium.
                            Twerk - where people in Yorkshire go t'earn a crust.

Comment

• this a a very fascinating subject. i like this idea, makes sense, new question. if i cook the potatoes , then immediately make my home fries , will that ruin them when i cool them? or can they only be cooked and cooled, not cooked, fried , then cooled?
                              I was cooling them , THEN making my fries and hash browns from cold ones, so now I think I should do the frying before they cool , right? Or just stick to potato salad type prep! thanks folks!
                              Last edited by tcseacliff; 03-06-2014, 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by tcseacliff View Post
                                this a a very fascinating subject. i like this idea, makes sense, new question. if i cook the potatoes , then immediately make my home fries , will that ruin them when i cool them? or can they only be cooked and cooled, not cooked, fried , then cooled?
                                I was cooling them , THEN making my fries and hash browns from cold ones, so now I think I should do the frying before they cool , right? Or just stick to potato salad type prep! thanks folks!
                                OK, here's the deal with cooked and cooled potatoes.

Cook a potato any way you like. Eat it hot and it has almost 0 RS.

Cool it down to below 50 degrees and it will start to develop RS3, retrograded RS. This process will take time as it depends on the potato drying out and works better at colder temps. It is the same process that turns bread stale. Overnight in a refrigerator is probably going to produce 75% of the RS that can be produced with those potatoes.

Eat cold or heat back up. The heating back up should be done quickly and hotly, as in making home fries or even baking on an open rack. Not boiling for mashed potatoes. Eaten hot, you may lose just a few points off the RS of when they were cold a few minutes earlier, but not much--in fact depending on just exactly how you prepared them, they may have even grown a bit of RS.

If you have leftovers, cool them back down. Again, overnight in the fridge. The RS will climb again, maybe an additional 2-3%, not much more, but a bit more. Repeated heating and cooling cycles will keep increasing the RS. Food additive manufacturers use this trick to create RS from starches to be used as fillers in food with functional properties and can be labeled cheaply as 'fiber'. Hi-Maize (corn) and Pen-Fibe (potato) are two common food additives made this way.

With beans and rice, I like to take it a step further--make a huge batch of either, then freeze in serving sized portions, thawing out when ready to eat. This ensures a handy supply of RS rich food at your fingertips. Potatoes don't freeze too well, so I usually nmake a batch and keep in fridge for a few days until they are gone. I only need to cook rice and beans once every couple weeks.

For reference: 100g of potato, cooked, cooled, and reheated will have about 5-7g of RS. It's easy to eat a pound (453g) of potatoes a day which will provide 20-30g of RS. Rice yields slightly less, beans slightly more. A combo of beans, rice, and potatoes makes it easy to get 20-30g per day. Throw in a green banana and you are good to go. Soaked grains, banana flour, almonds, cashews, and Tiger Nuts are easy snacks that all boost RS and prebiotics as well.
                                Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                                X