No announcement yet.

Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I might have found at least a tiny clue to this puzzle, reading more on The Paleo Mom and she said for people who have a problem with probiotics starting out taking them more slowly can help, even opening the capsule and sprinkling some out on food. So perhaps taking 2 capsules right off the bat was problematic for me? Will continue reading...

Comment

• Originally posted by Grafter View Post
      One question: are you eating any sort of fake sugar (artificial sweeteners or the sugar alcohols)? As I swear I have seen something about it affecting the gut, and am guilty of ingesting some. Like you, I really want the warming effects to kick to, but need to get my thyroid tested again...
      No artificial sweeteners but i have been using a half tsp of xylitol in my morning decaf on occasion. Not consistently, though, and the gas was an issue well before I started using the xylitol.
      I'll drop it as well for the time being, but the last two days since stopping the PS I've had next to no gas.

Comment

• Originally posted by dianejaquay View Post
        I'm back to report what's happened with my PS consumption and I have A LOT of questions! So I started taking the PS, 1 tablespoon a day, and seemed to do fine with that. The only thing I noticed was that I felt "full" a lot of the time, and didn't want to eat as much, which for me is a good thing. Really no gas to speak of. Then I received some probiotics I'd ordered from Vitacost, their brand called Super 8 Acidophilus. I chose this brand because it had really good reviews and was not expensive. Starting taking 2 tablets each morning, and upped my PS to 1 tablespoon in the morning and 1 at night. Well the probiotics are giving me nausea and heartburn! I'd hoped that would go away but after a couple of weeks of taking them things are not getting any better. Now I also took the advice of a forum member and looked into the topic of histamines as related to my rosacea. After much reading I am CERTAIN I am suffering from a histamine overload. I've known for a couple of years now that wine and alcohol make me flush and cause my face to throb (wine is worse), but I've also noticed lately that certain foods (and spices) that I eat are causing the same reaction. Last night hubby and I went out for Valentines Day and we had an appetizer of scallops and a main course of crab cakes, and my face was throbbing for the rest of the evening! Also some foods give me a slight stomach ache (coffee and dark chocolate to name a couple of my favorites). I've also experienced diarrhea when I've eaten a lot of sauerkraut. All this to say that as I was researching histamines ALL of these foods that I've been reacting to over the past few years are on the list of high histamine foods!

Now the conundrum, some of the research suggests that healing the gut will help the histamine problem. But much of what is recommended to heal the gut are things like fermented foods and probiotics (and prebiotics in the case of the resistant starch), and the fermented foods and probiotics are bad for the histamine problem. So I'm at a loss as to how to proceed here! I did just do some reading on a website where the author (she's a Phd with a book called The Paelo Approach), suggested possibly trying one of the probiotics that tatertot had recommended (prescript assist I believe it's called without looking back at this moment?) She claims that might be better tolerated for those with a histamine overload. I don't know if anyone reading this can give me some advice as to how to proceed. Obviously I do need to heal my gut, but at this point how? I'm still open to trying the potato starch protocal, and if necessary I could try the prescript assist (although it's very expensive!) HELP!!!!
        As for expense of the SBO probiotics, I was able to buy AOR - 3 (forget the full name, but it's one of recommended ones) at iherb for $30, with a coupon code I googled. It was shipped and on my doorstep in days. I just take one a day. No definitive positives or negatives yet, but I just started adding them in a couple of days ago.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

• Article on dead vs. live probiotics.
          Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by dianejaquay View Post
            Well I might have found at least a tiny clue to this puzzle, reading more on The Paleo Mom and she said for people who have a problem with probiotics starting out taking them more slowly can help, even opening the capsule and sprinkling some out on food. So perhaps taking 2 capsules right off the bat was problematic for me? Will continue reading...
            Hi. I have skin problems too - hidradinitis and rosacea - which I am doing an aip to figure out the triggers for. And I get histamine reactions too. Have you lookwd into eliminating nightshades? They are very common triggers for a variety of autoimmune skin reactions.

You mentioned having a reaction while eating out. I have found that just about every time I eat out I get a histamine reaction. Likely because most places marinate their meats in solutions that might contain things like potato starch, paprika, cayenne, maltodextein, etc and salad dressings are big culprits too. I found one steak place that doesn't marinate their meat and will only season it with salt if I ask them too. I hate having to look so picky to the waiters, but asking questions about the food prep has gotten easier and it is worth it to make it through a meal without worry.

For probiotics I use the brand pearls, and they dont cause me a reaction. I think because they are designed to not dissolve in the stomach, so the slower dissolve maybe helps avoid a histamine spike. For a prebiotic I just use ground psyllium husk in a glass of juice. Psyllium is generally pretty benign, I haven't seen anyone report a reaction to it.

Good luck. It's a real bear trying to figure out your triggers, but once you do it really helps.

Melissa

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Another question ... Anyone have any hacks for constipation possibly related to RS consumption? I'd say this is my biggest issue right now. I was more regular before starting RS.

I just bought some psyllium husk flakes, but read that can lead to constipation, so I'm wary of adding it to my regimen.

I have just recently (2 days) started an SBO probiotic, so perhaps I should wait a while to see if that helps.

I'm not doing ant PS this weekend, as I've seen recommendations to back off if experiencing issues. But miss it, as it gives me great energy and moods. The only RS I've had the past 2 days has been cooked and cooled (and reheated) rice.

Any thought on this would be appreciated. I have not come across anything on this, despite my extensive reading on the subject (just a tad hyper focused on this at the moment <-- understatement). Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                That article contains exactly zero citations...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evo_Mama View Post
                  As for expense of the SBO probiotics, I was able to buy AOR - 3 (forget the full name, but it's one of recommended ones) at iherb for $30, with a coupon code I googled. It was shipped and on my doorstep in days. I just take one a day. No definitive positives or negatives yet, but I just started adding them in a couple of days ago.

Best of luck to you!
                  What was the coupon code you used to get the AOR, Probiotic-3, for $30 from iherb?
                  “Let no barrier you face stop you from acting to optimal.” Dr. Jack Kruse

"People who lack the clarity, courage, or determination to follow their own dreams will often find ways to discourage yours. When you change for the better, the people around you will be inspired to change also….but only after doing their best to make you stop." Dr. Jack Kruse

Comment

• Originally posted by Theta View Post
                    What was the coupon code you used to get the AOR, Probiotic-3, for $30 from iherb?
                    I googled "iherb coupon" - I just did it again and I think it was the one that started with a K.

Comment

• GZV557

This is the coupon I used for iHerb. I think it was $10 off $40 for new customers. I believe it was free shipping as well
                      K

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                        GZV557

This is the coupon I used for iHerb. I think it was $10 off $40 for new customers. I believe it was free shipping as well
                        K
                        Feel free to use KID451 for the same deal, as well.

Comment

• Cooling Inflammation: Resistant Starch, Panacea, but Why?

Pretty good assessment of RS.
                          Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Anyone supplementing with RS have any issues with bruxism (teeth clenching)? I have been taking a couple TBS before bed for the past couple weeks. My sleep has improved but my bruxism has increased to the point of all day headaches. Not sure if I want to continue love to hear anyone else's experiences.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatgoose View Post
                              Anyone supplementing with RS have any issues with bruxism (teeth clenching)? I have been taking a couple TBS before bed for the past couple weeks. My sleep has improved but my bruxism has increased to the point of all day headaches. Not sure if I want to continue love to hear anyone else's experiences.
                              I had some major issues a couple of months ago with teeth clenching and poor sleep when taking PS. I stopped all PS together for a week or two, and when I started again these issues didn't return. I'm taking about 2 1/2 tbsp of PS a day now with no clenching, and the only thing I can think of that I'm doing differently is taking all of it in the morning. Before I was taking a bit in the morning, and the rest before bed. Since I was clenching day and night, I'm not sure if timing had anything to do with the clenching. Maybe it just stopped on its own as my body became used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                                My favorite blog, although I can't follow the science in many cases. This quote explains why some benefit and others don't.

"Most people already support gut flora that can utilize RS, so most people benefit from RS in their diet. Some people have severely damaged gut flora, dysbiosis and constipation, and they may need to eat live, fermented foods (not just dairy probiotics) to recruit enough new bacteria to benefit from RS. Other healthy people may already have healthy gut flora that can exploit all of the soluble fiber in a compatible healthy diet, and need no further enhancement of their health by RS. Health always requires gut flora complementary to diet and each change in diet requires accommodation by corresponding changes in gut flora. Some changes in diet may require new species of gut bacteria."

Comment

Working...
                                X