Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This link has a post that explains it:

http://freetheanimal.com/2014/02/rep...resistant.html

The link I mentioned above was today's blog post and doesn't explain RS although it is talked about.

Read the posts once there, comments too, there's a lot to learn!

K

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
      Wow, cynical much?

People with healthy gut flora might not need to bother with it because their food intake maintains the existing populations. For those with compromised flora populations, yes, RS plus probiotics can help rebuild. Having a healthy flora population in your colon (and not small intestines) helps you digest all fibrous matter. On a no-carb diet, it might not be necessary.

Fad? No. Gov't? WTF when did the gov't ever come into play with this?

Without a healthy flora population, you CAN'T shit properly.

-edit- If someone wants to give a less emotional response to this, that'd be appreciated. It irks me when people come in and poop on (haha) people's positive experiences just because they don't see the benefit. If you don't need it, don't bother!
      What does the govt have to do with this? In case you didn't know, they are supplementing people who are on WIC, now with RS starch foods. As we all know, the govt, any govt is cheap. They want to give people the least amount of food and have everyone feel full and satisfied. Which is what RS foods do, from what I understand.

Why aren't they supplementing people with FAT? That would be most satiable and cheap.

Now if someone has digestive problems, can't they fix the problem starting at the top with the stomach, rather than treating the symptom in the colon? I don't see these RS foods as correcting problems in the long run.

Comment

• I'm not familiar with what foods WIC provides these days. I have seen signs at the market on decent foods, like eggs, salmon as well as junk like juice.
        I believe they also provide protein rich inexpensive foods like beans and peanut butter. I believe their idea is to give these kids something besides fast food and soda and keep costs low.
        Does WIC have literature related to resistant starch foods specifically?
        K

Comment

• I'm sure it varies state to state, what's on their menu
          Last edited by guitarfan85; 02-14-2014, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• What do you mean, "start at the top of the stomach"?
            Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
              What do you mean, "start at the top of the stomach"?
              Start at the top WITH the stomach. Take measures to prevent any problems down the line

Comment

• Originally posted by guitarfan85 View Post
                Start at the top WITH the stomach. Take measures to prevent any problems down the line
                Sorry, but how is putting foods into the stomach that benefit the whole digestive system not taking measure to prevent problems? Oftentimes the problems originate down the line. :?

Comment

• Originally posted by guitarfan85 View Post

It seems like just another fad. Its an excuse for people to finally eat carbs again and not feel guilty. This may be in fact a push from the government to serve their agenda. They don't want people on a low carb diet. They generate too much money from corn and potato farms and other agro
                  You seem to be confused about how people are eating RS, most of the people on here who are eating RS are taking it in the form of potato starch as a supplement. They aren't chowing down loads of carbs. PS is quite cheap so I doubt that anyone is getting rich selling it. If you'd ever tried it you'd see how ridiculous your statement that people are eating it as an "excuse to eat carbs again w/o feeling guilty" is. PS is NOT a tasty carb treat!
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by imp View Post
                    Will yogurt, cheese, and kimchi provide the daily requirements of probiotics?
                    I think so. That's about all I ever eat. Some people with really messed up guts may want to go the probiotic supplement route for a month or more to build up populations, but I think normally, just fermented foods, some underwashed veggies, and yogurt are fine. Some of the probiotic microbes are needed just to pass through and strengthen the immune system as opposed to sticking around and growing. Some are better to consume dead than live. But I think in the long run they don't need to be paid for.

Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                    I just realized that carrots are listed here

http://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/...h-in-Foods.pdf

Under riots as having RS. I eat the raw, cooked (hot and cold) and fermented.

How much RS in carrots say raw vs cooked (the chart didn't specify)?

Thx!
                    K
                    If I remember right, carrots just have a tiny bit of RS, and then only in raw carrots.

Originally posted by guitarfan85 View Post
                    I still don't see the big deal about RS. Its high in fiber, so what? It helps you shit? Is it just a safer carbohydrate?

It helps create gut flora, and that helps you digest ALL foods better or just the food that otherwise isn't digestable? In which that case, what's the point of eating it?

I see RS only being benefitial to people with a weak or sensitive digestive system. What am I not seeing here?

It seems like just another fad. Its an excuse for people to finally eat carbs again and not feel guilty. This may be in fact a push from the government to serve their agenda. They don't want people on a low carb diet. They generate too much money from corn and potato farms and other agro

Correct me if I'm wrong but once something reaches your colon then the digestive process is over so then it doesn't matter what it does down there just shit it out.
                    Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                    Wow, cynical much?

-edit- If someone wants to give a less emotional response to this, that'd be appreciated. It irks me when people come in and poop on (haha) people's positive experiences just because they don't see the benefit. If you don't need it, don't bother!
                    Originally posted by guitarfan85 View Post
                    It's all good. I'll admit RS is a hard sell to a world who has been slammed with BS about how great 'fiber' is. The biggest mistake the gov't made was letting the food industry get away with labeling everything 'high in fiber' with a gov't seal of approval. RS is a whole other animal. It acts like a fiber, in that it does not get digested in the small intestine, but once it hits the large intestine, it's a super prebiotic. It selectively targets the growth of beneficial bacteria, particularly the much coveted bifidobacteria. The short-chain fatty acids produced by several key species of gut microbes when they ferment RS lay a framework for lowering the pH of the gut and supplying nutrients to colonocytes where things like Peyer's Patches are found. This is where 70% of the body's immune system is found and RS is shown to specifically bolster the immune system.

RS is not a magic weightloss superfood, but it is a magic bullet in creating a gut that favors SCFA production, reduced inflammation, better immune system, lowered risk of diabetes, met syn, and cancer.

Not makin' it up!

Great paper out just this week. I have the pdf, but here is the abstract. Says almost everything I just said above.

Resistant starch and energy balance: ... [Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI
                    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Tater, please tell me more about the probiotics that may be better dead and where to find those.
                      Thx
                      K
                      Ps... Thx to you under washed organic veggies make me smile

Comment

• Originally posted by Evo_Mama View Post
                        Dear Mr. Tater - Are you aware of any good research on gut biome and ADHD (i.e. nuerotransmitters like dopamine and norepinephine)? This will be my next area of study, as my primary desire right now is to get off ADD meds.

Thanks!
                        I'm not tater, but am reading a book that may be of interest to you. (found in the new section) It is called Bug, Bowls, and Behavior: The Groundbreaking Story of the Gut-Brain Connection. Not very far into it, so I'm not sure how actionable the chapters are, but it does have a lot of sources.
                        turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I'm all ears.
                          One question: are you eating any sort of fake sugar (artificial sweeteners or the sugar alcohols)? As I swear I have seen something about it affecting the gut, and am guilty of ingesting some. Like you, I really want the warming effects to kick to, but need to get my thyroid tested again...
                          turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                            I think so. That's about all I ever eat. Some people with really messed up guts may want to go the probiotic supplement route for a month or more to build up populations, but I think normally, just fermented foods, some underwashed veggies, and yogurt are fine. Some of the probiotic microbes are needed just to pass through and strengthen the immune system as opposed to sticking around and growing. Some are better to consume dead than live. But I think in the long run they don't need to be paid for.

If I remember right, carrots just have a tiny bit of RS, and then only in raw carrots.

It's all good. I'll admit RS is a hard sell to a world who has been slammed with BS about how great 'fiber' is. The biggest mistake the gov't made was letting the food industry get away with labeling everything 'high in fiber' with a gov't seal of approval. RS is a whole other animal. It acts like a fiber, in that it does not get digested in the small intestine, but once it hits the large intestine, it's a super prebiotic. It selectively targets the growth of beneficial bacteria, particularly the much coveted bifidobacteria. The short-chain fatty acids produced by several key species of gut microbes when they ferment RS lay a framework for lowering the pH of the gut and supplying nutrients to colonocytes where things like Peyer's Patches are found. This is where 70% of the body's immune system is found and RS is shown to specifically bolster the immune system.

RS is not a magic weightloss superfood, but it is a magic bullet in creating a gut that favors SCFA production, reduced inflammation, better immune system, lowered risk of diabetes, met syn, and cancer.

Not makin' it up!

Great paper out just this week. I have the pdf, but here is the abstract. Says almost everything I just said above.

Resistant starch and energy balance: ... [Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI
                            OK that is easier to understand and I now I see how its more benefitial. But you say the "biggest mistake the govt made"........well I have to make a point that the gov't IS the mistake!

They thought fluoride was good and healthy for everybody, and now they put fluoride in every damn thing. And we all know that fluoride is a hazardous chemical by-product of the phosphate mining industry, it is dangerous to our health; to our teeth and our brain.

Now what if they do the same thing with RS? If it gets popular enough they might put RS in every damn thing; our water, toothpaste, and so on. So then what happens if we find out its really not that good for us in some ways? Like maybe RS in conjunction with certain foods? You might think I'm going out on a limb talking about this stuff, but its not really that big of a stretch.

Now what do you mean IT selectivley targets the growth of beneficial bacteria, exactly? Or does the bacteria target IT?

Comment

• Originally posted by Grafter View Post
                              I'm not tater, but am reading a book that may be of interest to you. (found in the new section) It is called Bug, Bowls, and Behavior: The Groundbreaking Story of the Gut-Brain Connection. Not very far into it, so I'm not sure how actionable the chapters are, but it does have a lot of sources.
                              Wow ... cool. Thanks, Grafter. Looking this up now. I've been finding some really interesting articles online. Hoping to get off these meds soon ... I hate being dependent on medication, but a few months ago (even eating Paleo/PHD), I could not function without and things were sliding through the cracks. I've been focused on continuing to eat clean, exercising often, IFing, brain trainging, developing/honing my coping strategies/skills and I feel things are getting better to the point I'd like to try life without again. Fixing my gut, though, could be the last peice of the puzzle.

btw - I feel a bit sheepish directing my questions directly to Tater, as I well aware there is a wealth of intelligent, knowledgable people on this forum.
                              Last edited by Evo_Mama; 02-15-2014, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• I'm back to report what's happened with my PS consumption and I have A LOT of questions! So I started taking the PS, 1 tablespoon a day, and seemed to do fine with that. The only thing I noticed was that I felt "full" a lot of the time, and didn't want to eat as much, which for me is a good thing. Really no gas to speak of. Then I received some probiotics I'd ordered from Vitacost, their brand called Super 8 Acidophilus. I chose this brand because it had really good reviews and was not expensive. Starting taking 2 tablets each morning, and upped my PS to 1 tablespoon in the morning and 1 at night. Well the probiotics are giving me nausea and heartburn! I'd hoped that would go away but after a couple of weeks of taking them things are not getting any better. Now I also took the advice of a forum member and looked into the topic of histamines as related to my rosacea. After much reading I am CERTAIN I am suffering from a histamine overload. I've known for a couple of years now that wine and alcohol make me flush and cause my face to throb (wine is worse), but I've also noticed lately that certain foods (and spices) that I eat are causing the same reaction. Last night hubby and I went out for Valentines Day and we had an appetizer of scallops and a main course of crab cakes, and my face was throbbing for the rest of the evening! Also some foods give me a slight stomach ache (coffee and dark chocolate to name a couple of my favorites). I've also experienced diarrhea when I've eaten a lot of sauerkraut. All this to say that as I was researching histamines ALL of these foods that I've been reacting to over the past few years are on the list of high histamine foods!

Now the conundrum, some of the research suggests that healing the gut will help the histamine problem. But much of what is recommended to heal the gut are things like fermented foods and probiotics (and prebiotics in the case of the resistant starch), and the fermented foods and probiotics are bad for the histamine problem. So I'm at a loss as to how to proceed here! I did just do some reading on a website where the author (she's a Phd with a book called The Paelo Approach), suggested possibly trying one of the probiotics that tatertot had recommended (prescript assist I believe it's called without looking back at this moment?) She claims that might be better tolerated for those with a histamine overload. I don't know if anyone reading this can give me some advice as to how to proceed. Obviously I do need to heal my gut, but at this point how? I'm still open to trying the potato starch protocal, and if necessary I could try the prescript assist (although it's very expensive!) HELP!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X