Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's great Evo_Mama!

Tater,
    Do you find it common to gain when first adding starches back in?

I was down 7 lbs after the first 30 days of W 30. I added another week and was up 0.5 at the end of that. Now, I'm not a scale person, avoided one for years until the W30. Anyway, now I'm adding in RS foods and up another 3.
    I added in cold rice, well room temp, the past 2 nights. Should I refrigerate it before eating it so the retrogradation takes full effect?
    I don't eat chocolate, nuts, dairy (besides testing a little kefir this am) so Idk where the extra weight is coming from. I did cut back on CO and upped fruit a bit (mostly adding the green bananas and plantains).
    The only other thing is water kefir, I ferment 1-2 days and them do a second ferment overnight with 2 strawberries or 6-8 blueberries. Could it be that the sugars aren't getting used up during fermentation? It doesn't taste sweet.
    Any advise would be appreciated!
    Thx!
    K

Comment

• Originally posted by Evo_Mama View Post
      Also, I suspect I have Candida or some type of fungal infection (I get chronic yeast infections and just read that there can be a link b/t fungal overgrowth and ADHD). Anything specific you can recommend to address this?

Thanks!
      Not Tater, but I have a suggestion about yeast infections. I, too, used to have chronic yeast infections and all the docs would do is tell me to eat yogurt and give me Diflucan (prescription fluconazole), which would clear things up for about a month... then I was back into the infection.

I have been eating yogurt regularly and also other fermented products (aged cheese, sauerkraut, etc.) for many years, but about a year and a half ago, when I started learning more about the good gut bugs, I started doing my own research. Women taking the probiotics lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1(R) and lactobacillus reuteri RC-14(R) had a significant improvement in curing yeast infections. These are different varieties of lactobacillus than most probiotics contain. The good news it that there are several companies who make probiotics with these specific bugs, targeted at women.

If you do a google search on those lactobacillus strains, you'll find research and also products you can buy. I'm not endorsing any specific brand, but I personally take the Jarrow Femdophilus (one capsule a day). I've not had one occurrence of yeast infection since I started taking it--even when I had to take a course of antibiotics for bronchitis. The google search will give you options for brands. Good luck!

Comment

• Will yogurt, cheese, and kimchi provide the daily requirements of probiotics?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Nvmd my question earlier re weight gain and RS. I searched around and found my answers on the FTA blog.
          It looks like it can be normal, maybe due to increased absorption of nutrients d/t the gut healing, so yay!
          Plan is to keep up the RS, probiotics, ferments and healthy food. I need to go back to not looking at a scale and go by feeling, it's just hard once I've looked now...lol!
          Thx so much for this thread!

Comment

• Okay so in Marks post a few days ago, he mentioned that Resistant Starches don't count as part of your daily carbohydrate. That being said, say I wanted potatoes. cooked, frozen, and then reheated them, would they count as carbs or no?

Comment

• I just realized that carrots are listed here

http://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/...h-in-Foods.pdf

Under riots as having RS. I eat the raw, cooked (hot and cold) and fermented.

How much RS in carrots say raw vs cooked (the chart didn't specify)?

Thx!
              K

Comment

• I still don't see the big deal about RS. Its high in fiber, so what? It helps you shit? Is it just a safer carbohydrate?

It helps create gut flora, and that helps you digest ALL foods better or just the food that otherwise isn't digestable? In which that case, what's the point of eating it?

I see RS only being benefitial to people with a weak or sensitive digestive system. What am I not seeing here?

It seems like just another fad. Its an excuse for people to finally eat carbs again and not feel guilty. This may be in fact a push from the government to serve their agenda. They don't want people on a low carb diet. They generate too much money from corn and potato farms and other agro

Correct me if I'm wrong but once something reaches your colon then the digestive process is over so then it doesn't matter what it does down there just shit it out.
                Last edited by guitarfan85; 02-14-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Now I'm curious about nokdumuk. It's dissolved at medium heat then chilled to set--kinda flavorless but good sauce sponge.
                  37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                    I just realized that carrots are listed here

http://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/...h-in-Foods.pdf

Under riots as having RS. I eat the raw, cooked (hot and cold) and fermented.

How much RS in carrots say raw vs cooked (the chart didn't specify)?

Thx!
                    K
                    The links in that page look a little fishy and biased..........the US potato board?? Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                      Not Tater, but I have a suggestion about yeast infections. I, too, used to have chronic yeast infections and all the docs would do is tell me to eat yogurt and give me Diflucan (prescription fluconazole), which would clear things up for about a month... then I was back into the infection.

I have been eating yogurt regularly and also other fermented products (aged cheese, sauerkraut, etc.) for many years, but about a year and a half ago, when I started learning more about the good gut bugs, I started doing my own research. Women taking the probiotics lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1(R) and lactobacillus reuteri RC-14(R) had a significant improvement in curing yeast infections. These are different varieties of lactobacillus than most probiotics contain. The good news it that there are several companies who make probiotics with these specific bugs, targeted at women.

If you do a google search on those lactobacillus strains, you'll find research and also products you can buy. I'm not endorsing any specific brand, but I personally take the Jarrow Femdophilus (one capsule a day). I've not had one occurrence of yeast infection since I started taking it--even when I had to take a course of antibiotics for bronchitis. The google search will give you options for brands. Good luck!
                      Thanks! I have tried the female type probiotics before with little success, but not while using RS, so I'll give it another go and see if I have better luck. All of this is really exciting!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by guitarfan85 View Post
                        I still don't see the big deal about RS. Its high in fiber, so what? It helps you shit? Is it just a safer carbohydrate?

It helps create gut flora, and that helps you digest ALL foods better or just the food that otherwise isn't digestable? In which that case, what's the point of eating it?

I see RS only being benefitial to people with a weak or sensitive digestive system. What am I not seeing here?

It seems like just another fad. Its an excuse for people to finally eat carbs again and not feel guilty. This may be in fact a push from the government to serve their agenda. They don't want people on a low carb diet. They generate too much money from corn and potato farms and other agro

Correct me if I'm wrong but once something reaches your colon then the digestive process is over so then it doesn't matter what it does down there just shit it out.
                        Wow, cynical much?

People with healthy gut flora might not need to bother with it because their food intake maintains the existing populations. For those with compromised flora populations, yes, RS plus probiotics can help rebuild. Having a healthy flora population in your colon (and not small intestines) helps you digest all fibrous matter. On a no-carb diet, it might not be necessary.

Fad? No. Gov't? WTF when did the gov't ever come into play with this?

Without a healthy flora population, you CAN'T shit properly.

-edit- If someone wants to give a less emotional response to this, that'd be appreciated. It irks me when people come in and poop on (haha) people's positive experiences just because they don't see the benefit. If you don't need it, don't bother!
                        Last edited by namelesswonder; 02-14-2014, 04:26 PM.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                          If you don't need it, don't bother!
                          That is all that you needed to say!

Comment

• I agree with Nameless Wonder

Additionally, read more about it, guitar, you may learn something you didn't already know. Information that you could use to help someone else, if not yourself, someday.

K

Comment

• Well thats what I'm trying to figure out. I'm here asking people what real benefits that it has because I don't see it as a huge deal. It may be for some people, but that's what I'm trying to find out - who needs it and who doesn't. No need to get all upset namelesswonder.

"If you don't need it, don't bother"...............I'm trying to figure out why one may need it. Im Not knocking people for eating RS.

I'm not "pooping" on anyone's positive experience... Ironically, I'm sitting on the toilet right now typing this but you didn't necessarily need to know that

Comment

• Guitarfan85,

Check out this blog for great info backed by studies and anecdotal evidence. These guys have really done their homework!

http://freetheanimal.com/2013/04/kef...-progress.html

K

Comment

Working...
                                X