No announcement yet.

Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^None of those are purely resistant starch, so no, they would still count.
    Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
      ^None of those are purely resistant starch, so no, they would still count.
      So what should I be using? Maybe white rice? Is it just as simple as cooking it then letting it cool?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
        So what should I be using? Maybe white rice? Is it just as simple as cooking it then letting it cool?
        - green bananas (like hardly sweet)
        - if rice, use parboiled rice (more nutritious, little to no antinutrients, and low glycemic index, indicative of good amount of RS)
        - you can also add shirataki noodles (based on konjac root), mung bean noodles, buckwheat groats, etc.

Anything ripe is too poor in RS (bananas, plantains).

Comment

• Hmm thanks for the detailed description. So i will be keeping lots of resistant starch when i soak and dehydrate potatoes?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• *Sigh*. Small rant here.

I have been supplementing with PS for probably close to 8 weeks now. I worked my way up to the 4Tbsp/day fairly quickly, experiencing no major issues or discomfort other than the very first night I took some - I had some major gas-related cramping after 1tsp, but it's been smooth sailing since.

Kinda.

Honestly, I can't say I've noticed any of the benefits I was looking for at this point - the most important, to me, being an increase in core body temp. I am cold. ALL. THE. TIME. The RS hasn't helped on that front at all, to this point. My fasting BS was low to begin with (80-ish when last tested, last spring or so) so lowering it isn't a concern of mine.

Not only that but, without fail, each day around 3pm the farts show up. Not just the regular noisy wind that most people described in the thread, but hot, foul smelling, devil's-breath kind of gas; I can hardly stand to be around myself. While I can't say for certain it's related, I sure didn't have this kind of gas on the regular before starting the starch. I have a fat malabsorption issue which means I pass more foul-smelling gas than the average person, but since starting the PS it is an all-day (after 3pm), every day occurrence, and I'm over it.

The only improvement I have noted is in the consistency of my stools - with that whole fat malabsorption thing, they're normally quite loose. They have been noticeably less so in the past month, give or take.

I am taking probiotics currently, 10bil/day, on my naturopath's advice. I'm sure my gut health is out of whack but I'm really not sure the PS is helping the case. I drink some kombucha when I think about it, eat yogurt a few times a week too.

I'm not convinced it's worth keeping on with the PS at this point...I try to get other sources of RS in my diet (cold potatoes or rice with breakfast, plantains now and again) and will continue to do so, but I think I am going to quit the PS for a few weeks and see if the gas resolves itself. If it does, I guess I will take a look at where to go from there.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I'm all ears.

Comment

• Lemontwist, what effect, if any did the PS have on your post-meal blood glucose, basal (at wakening) temperature and resting heart rate?

I'm noticing less farting from mung bean starch, though it's lower in RS than PS, and I've only been trying it for a little while so far.
              Last edited by Paleophil; 02-12-2014, 07:45 PM.
              Originally posted by tatertot
              Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
              "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• I saw mung bean noodles in the store tonight, just mung bean & water were the ingredients. Would those be a good spires of RS? I'm thinking cooked, of course, and eaten either hot or cold.
                Thx!
                K

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleophil View Post
                  Lemontwist, what effect, if any did the PS have on your post-meal blood glucose, basal (at wakening) temperature and resting heart rate?

I'm noticing less farting from mung bean starch, though it's lower in RS than PS, and I've only been trying it for a little while so far.
                  I don't test my BG, so I can't say. I have noticed lately when I eat a higher fat meal, my body's normal reaction of nausea, sleepiness, increased heart rate and pounding pulse (I've had gastric bypass, I don't deal with excess fats well) is more pronounced and it seems to happen after meals that normally wouldn't have bothered me all that much. I feel like I might be tolerating sugars a bit better than before (too much yields the same response as too much fat), but I tend to stay away from added sugar so I really don't know for sure.

Basal body temp hasn't changed in the year or so I've been tracking it - 96.9 to 97.8, depending on where I am in my cycle.

RHR is usually in the low- to mid-60's. I don't know that there's been any change to that since starting with the PS.

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I'm all ears.
                    I'll get to you in a minute!

Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                    I saw mung bean noodles in the store tonight, just mung bean & water were the ingredients. Would those be a good spires of RS? I'm thinking cooked, of course, and eaten either hot or cold.
                    Thx!
                    K
                    yes, those are great source of RS. From what I gather, mung bean starch has one of the best retrogradation properties of almost any starch, meaning it forms RS3 like crazy when it is cooked and cooled (the dry noodles) and retains it well when reheated. So cook them how you like and enjoy. We have them a couple times a week. I soak them in warm water about 15 minutes then toss into stirfried meat and veg for just a few stirs and serve. If you try to cook them into the stir fry, they get mushy fast.

Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
                    I(I've had gastric bypass, I don't deal with excess fats well)

Basal body temp hasn't changed in the year or so I've been tracking it - 96.9 to 97.8, depending on where I am in my cycle.

RHR is usually in the low- to mid-60's. I don't know that there's been any change to that since starting with the PS.
                    A couple of clues there. Maybe you should try just very small amount of PS, like 1tsp 1-2x day, or try it last thing before bed a few hours after last meal. Gastric bypass may have changed things for you, but please don't give up til you've tried several different combinations.

Low temp/heartrate -- have you had thyroid checked, perchance? Potato starch/probiotics may not be the silver bullet you are searching for, but I would stick with them until you find it, and then still keep doing them!
                    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Lemontwisst, I agree with tatertot, the symptoms you mention sound like low thyroid. As to the gas I had to start real slow with the PS, due to gas. I started with 1 tsp once a day at bedtime and have slowly increased to 1 tablespoon at bedtime with an occasional tsp during the day. The gas subsided after a week.
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Thanks, I picked up the bean thread saifun. The ingredients say mung bean flour and water, is that the right stuff?

Is it expected to gain a few pounds when adding back in starch?

K

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                          I'll get to you in a minute!

yes, those are great source of RS. From what I gather, mung bean starch has one of the best retrogradation properties of almost any starch, meaning it forms RS3 like crazy when it is cooked and cooled (the dry noodles) and retains it well when reheated. So cook them how you like and enjoy. We have them a couple times a week. I soak them in warm water about 15 minutes then toss into stirfried meat and veg for just a few stirs and serve. If you try to cook them into the stir fry, they get mushy fast.

A couple of clues there. Maybe you should try just very small amount of PS, like 1tsp 1-2x day, or try it last thing before bed a few hours after last meal. Gastric bypass may have changed things for you, but please don't give up til you've tried several different combinations.

Low temp/heartrate -- have you had thyroid checked, perchance? Potato starch/probiotics may not be the silver bullet you are searching for, but I would stick with them until you find it, and then still keep doing them!
                          Thanks, tater. I have had my thyroid checked, TSH was high and climbing last time it was tested but my GP wasn't concerned enough to follow up. Through working with my ND and doing a ton of my own research I know I'm dealing with moderate adrenal fatigue and cortisol dysregulation (barrel bottom low in the morning, high at night) and all that is affecting my thyroid along with everything else.

I plan to take a break from the PS for a week for now and bump the probiotics up, then I'll see how I feel and think about starting back with smaller doses of PS. After not taking it before bed last night or this morning, my guts seem far more settled today and I haven't had any gas...but it's not 3pm yet, either

Also - I didn't notice any improvement in sleep either, which I was really hoping for.

Comment

• Hi all! Here's my story ...

Firstly, I'm a female, mid-30's, lost 60 lbs. with a combo of LC and Paleo, maintained loss for years, but still could lose about 10-15 to be at an ideal leanness, digestion moderately unpredictable (constipated one day, great the next, loose the next ...), also diagnosed with adhd and recently taking meds for it that I want to get off of, sleep consistently 9 hours and wake up w/o alarm clock, workout inconsistently (active for months, then more or less sendentary for months), been eating PHD type diet for about a year.

Started RS over a week ago, taking PS and adding RS foods. I've been taking PS at random amounts and times, but usually 1-2T/day with some foods like dried green bananas and cooked/cooled parboiled rice 1-2 servings/day.

Here's what I've experienced ... Most days, I enjoy great energy and calmness. Good satiety, including less sugar cravings (I'm addicted to yellow banana chips, and still have two nearly full bags in the kitchen ... usually, they're gone in days if not hours!). Dropped a few pounds. Lots of non-smelly fartage that I don't mind (I keep saying to myself, if you're fartin', you're fermentin' - lol).

Though my dreams have been more vivid and memorable, my sleep has been choppy. Playing around with dosing and timing has not helped. That said, I still have good energy and focus during the day.

Digestion still off, mostly slow transit.

I just recieved AOR-3 probiotic, and plan to add that in, in addition to more ferments.

My plan is to take a few days off and reintro slowly to see if I can solve the sleep and constipation issues.

All of this is fascinating and encouraging. Thanks to Richard and Tater for freely sharing all of this and being so generous with their time and energy to answer questions and provide support!

Comment

• Evo mama,
                              Hi, somewhat similar story here. I have been taking the AOR 3 for a week and now going to every other day. Been experimenting w the RS for a few weeks. This along w other changes has my gut greatly improving, not as sluggish as it was
                              Did you gain any weight when adding the RS foods &/or probiotics?
                              I am so just curious as those are the only changes and I'm pretty Paleo (bc of food intolerance issues). I still have weight to lose (10-20) but feeling better and healing is the main priority
                              Thx for sharing your story!
                              K

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                                Evo mama,
                                Hi, somewhat similar story here. I have been taking the AOR 3 for a week and now going to every other day. Been experimenting w the RS for a few weeks. This along w other changes has my gut greatly improving, not as sluggish as it was
                                Did you gain any weight when adding the RS foods &/or probiotics?
                                I am so just curious as those are the only changes and I'm pretty Paleo (bc of food intolerance issues). I still have weight to lose (10-20) but feeling better and healing is the main priority
                                Thx for sharing your story!
                                K
                                Hi K! To answer your question, I've actually lost about 3 pounds. I fluctuate a bit, so not sure it's the RS, but my apetite has been squashed, so losing makes sense.

Dear Mr. Tater - Are you aware of any good research on gut biome and ADHD (i.e. nuerotransmitters like dopamine and norepinephine)? This will be my next area of study, as my primary desire right now is to get off ADD meds.

Also, I suspect I have Candida or some type of fungal infection (I get chronic yeast infections and just read that there can be a link b/t fungal overgrowth and ADHD). Anything specific you can recommend to address this?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X