No announcement yet.

Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Otzi, thanks for posting excerpts of my article here (and pinging back). I wrote it about 4 years ago. I need to update it a bit although it's still very complete the way it is now..

I had a specialty (GF, low-GI, low-Omega-6, high-protein, etc.) bakery for about 3.5 years (just closed it this past June) and I had a chance to experiment with the resistant starch that's commercially available for baking applications from National Starch (now a part of Ingredion). I used it in a low-carb GF pizza crust. I remember I got a compliment on the same article from the NS rep back then.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      And I can't help but keep wondering why if everything ends up as fat anyway, why bother with all these complicated food substances and miracle hacks to get there? Just eat real food and let it happen however it may.

If you want a food with copious resistant starch, why not try seeking out the elusive purple sweet potato. I'm pretty sure that it's probably got the most resistant starch of anything, although it's totally based on speculation due to how it tasted and its unusual texture. That, and the ultimate result of eating it, so to speak. I do have to say these are extremely delicious and if I ever see them again I will definitely buy more. I'm tempted to order a box.
      Purple Sweet Potatoes (Purple Yam) - Home of the Stokes Purple Sweet Potato - Stokes Foods, Inc.
      It's not that it's converted to fat, but that it is converted to a fat that directly feeds the cells in your colon. I think RS is the only thing that can do this in any quantity.

Purple potatoes...big thumbs up! Full of antioxidants, too.

Comment

Originally posted by IvanNikolov View Post
        Otzi, thanks for posting excerpts of my article here (and pinging back). I wrote it about 4 years ago. I need to update it a bit although it's still very complete the way it is now..

I had a specialty (GF, low-GI, low-Omega-6, high-protein, etc.) bakery for about 3.5 years (just closed it this past June) and I had a chance to experiment with the resistant starch that's commercially available for baking applications from National Starch (now a part of Ingredion). I used it in a low-carb GF pizza crust. I remember I got a compliment on the same article from the NS rep back then.
        That was a very good article! Not much written in RS. It's almost like it is passed over by everyone. I think people know about 'dietary fiber' but it seems that RS is in a class of it's own.

Reading this thread do you have any words of wisdom for us? Resistant Starch, holy grail or just so-so?

Comment

Originally posted by IvanNikolov View Post

I just looked up your website...we may have to induct you as an honorary paleo-dude! Your recent blog,http://www.ivannikolov.com/how-to-ea...o-lose-weight/ , pretty much sums up what we do around here:

Rule No. 1:

Eat two and maximum three meals a day. I’d suggest you stick to two. How do you do that? Simple: by skipping breakfast. If you want to know more why this works – it’s called Intermittent Fasting, meaning in the 24-hour period you dedicate less of your waking hours to eating and more hours to expending energy (burning fat), while maintaining high metabolism.

Rule No. 2:

Very simple: Don’t eat man-made foods – nothing that comes in a box with an endless Ingredients list. Another way to tell if a food is man-made or not is if you can name the food. For example: broccoli is broccoli – you can recognize it and can name it. MNM’s… I don’t know what they are! Do you?How To Eat Daily to Lose Weight - IvanNikolov.com
          And this sounds very familiar to me....

My personal theory and solution is the 10k 80-20 rule. I wrote expensively about it in my MoreSugarFor.Me blog, but in simple terms it say this: Ask yourself if the food that you have before you right this moment was also available to humans 10 thousand years ago. And, if it wasn’t (like doughnut for example) only afford yourself such food in 20 percent of the time, but eat wholesome foods that were available 10 K years ago in 80 percent of the time.
          Last edited by otzi; 12-23-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

SB, the purple sweet potato is not so elusive.

If you have any Asian markets where you are, bust a move and get
            yourself just ONE potato... don't order a box, you may hate them.

I tried them months ago, they were okay (to me), but I found them a little
            dry no matter HOW I cooked them. Needed a big glassawater to get them down.

Julie

Comment

WAIT so the delicious purple sweet potatoes that I used to always eat has copious amount of resistance starch? YESSSSS.....

I always noticed that they were more filling than the pasty yellow and red sweet potatoes, too...

Purple sweet potato is literally my favorite carb, evar

Btw I just boil them
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Interesting paper on resistant starch in the Chinese diet:

http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJC...23_274-282.pdf
                My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Originally posted by jo View Post
                  Interesting paper on resistant starch in the Chinese diet:

http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJC...23_274-282.pdf
                  Good find! I will read thoroughly!

In general, tubers and legumes
                  had more RS than cereals. Among the selected foods,
                  potato showed the highest amount of RS.

Comment

I have no idea if purple sweet potatoes have resistant starch. I am just guessing that they do. They have a very peculiar starchiness. I tried one and liked it. It seemed to me that I could probably cut thick slices, let them dry, then bake them so that they had a smooth, dry outside and a baked, soft inside. Then use the slices like bread for little sandwiches.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

bumping this thread to ask about tapioca--which I believe is an excellent source of RS--I made some up and sliced half a green banana into it for lunch. Any opinions as to whether the pearl tapioca is superior to the granulated in terms of resistant starch?? Otzi??

Comment

I have no experience with tapioca except as the little clear balls in pudding. I can't speak the the RS, but I'd think there is more in the parent (cassava) than the by-product (tapioca). I intend to look into it more this year along with some other tropical starches. Right now, I'm a big fan of green bananas! Green Bananas Health Benefits | LIVESTRONG.COM

Tapioca predominantly consists of carbohydrates, with each cup containing 135 grams for a total of 544 calories, and is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. Folic acid (vitamin B9) is present in the amount of 6.1 mcg, along with iron 2.4 mg and calcium 30.4 mg. One cup of tapioca also includes 1.5 mg of omega-3 acids, 3 mg of omega-6 fatty acids and 1 gram of dietary fiber.

Cassava root is essentially a carbohydrate source.[27] Its composition shows 60–65 percent moisture, 20–31 percent carbohydrate, 1–2 percent crude protein and a comparatively low content of vitamins and minerals. However, the roots are rich in calcium and vitamin C and contain a nutritionally significant quantity of thiamine, riboflavin and nicotinic acid. Cassava starch contains 70 percent amylopectin and 20 percent amylose. Cooked cassava starch has a digestibility of over 75 percent.

Cassava root is a poor source of protein. Despite the very low quantity, the quality of cassava root protein is fairly good in terms of essential amino acids. Methionine, cysteine and cystine are, however, limiting amino acids in cassava root.

Comment

I'll bite on this.

Evolutionarily speaking, this seems to make sense to me. Starch has always been an integral part of the human diet - probably the most integral. There really is no more efficient source of fuel in nature, and it's clearly one of the safest to harvest. It just makes so much more sense to eat a diet high in starch - versus, say, salad or broccoli - because it is so easy to digest and use all the nutrients. I've been slowly trying to reduce my vegetable intake for awhile for more fruit and starch and I've seen a whole lot of benefits, including more energy and better digestion. We don't use something like 90% of the nutrition in vegetables anyway because it's bound up in the insoluble fiber, unlike meat, starch and dairy, so I've never really understood why paleo folks are so caught up in vegetables. They provide no energy, they're difficult to digest, most of the nutrition can't be used...meat, fruit and starch is way more of a "human" diet than salad (even though I love salad), and I stand by that statement 100%.

Cold potatoes are pretty damn good, pretty damn convenient and pretty damn cheap. I typically cook a whole lot ahead of time anyway and just have them in the fridge. I just won't heat them. I made a 5 lb hash brown last night with you in mind to see how it makes me feel. Today's lunch was a 5 egg goatcheese omelet with cold hash browns. Pretty simple, pretty good.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            I'll bite on this.

Evolutionarily speaking, this seems to make sense to me. Starch has always been an integral part of the human diet - probably the most integral.
                            I just wrote this on the PHD thread:

For years now, I have been keeping total carbs under 100 or less. Most of my carbs were coming from fruit, like a couple bananas, melon, apples, etc... a day. Since applying the PHD principle of 1 pound of potatoes a day, I have ended up eating almost no sugary fruit. I have never felt better. No gas, bloating, perfect BM's.

It must be pear season, because our local store had a huge display of pears...I couldn't resist, and bought a half-bushel. Within a day of eating 2-3 pears, I was so gassed up and bloated I couldn't believe it. I was blaming everything but the pears, though. I did a little Googling, and came across this site: TheFartingPear - fructose malabsorption food list and food search There it was: Fructose Malabsorption--staring me in the face for years.

When I was keeping under 50g carbs, my problems were mostly absent, but going above 100g meant stomach bloat and digestion problems. I always blamed 'carbs', but the only way I ever got above 100g was to eat sugary fruit.

I'm now eating 100-200g carbs a day in form of potatoes/sweet potatoes/rice and feeling great with no stomach distress.
                            I'm glad you took the bait on this, Choco, but where I see the real benefits to eating more starch, is the extra Resistant Starch you are getting along the way.

I learned something interesting today; when people with fructose malabsorption problems ingest fructose, the fructose doesn't get absorbed in the small intestine like it should, it makes it all the way to the colon where it is fermented into hydrogen, which is harmful to the ecosystem of the colon, not to mention making one gassy and bloated.

When RS makes it to the colon, it is fremented into butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid, which provides food to special colon cells called colonocytes. In a healthy, functional colon, this is the best case scenario. The beneficial gut flora in the large intestine is the master-controller of lots of metabolic regulation systems. Starve it by eating no RS and you are doing yourself a disservice. Feed it and good things will come of it.

I have seen that ancestral levels of RS were thought to be approx 50 g of RS a day. That's the amount of RS found in one pound of raw potato. Cook the potato and eat it hot and you get about 3-5g of RS (which is the ave intake for SAD). Cook and cool 1 pound of potato and you up the RS to about 10g.

I have taken to eating a few slices of raw potato a day, and eating close to a pound of potato with about half being cooled/half being hot. Same could easily be done with rice as the RS in rice is doubled by cooking and cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                              But really, there's not that many...it's a pretty short list: Potatoes and rice.

Ok, technically white potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice, and then there are the 'freak' safe starches that nobody ever eats: taro, tapioca, sago... I have seen plantains in the store but never bought them...

Plus, I'm with you on the rice, I eat it very rarely. What's funny, is the best way to eat it--in terms of the resistant starch, is cooked and cooled...the only way I usually eat rice is in sushi rolls--cooked and cooled.

I'm looking now to find out the difference in resistant starch between cooked and cooled rice/potatoes and cooked and warm--there seems to be a huge difference, though, like 50% more when cooled. Freaky.
                              Otzi, don't say that nobody ever eats those things just because you've never heard of them! Here in S. Florida, plantains and taro at least are available in pretty much every grocery store. Plantains are easy to cook, and really delicious! I cooked up one of the sweet ones last night. Just peel, cut into 1-inch chunks, and sautee in a little coconut oil for a few minutes on each side. Easy! The green ones require a slightly different process, but I like the sweet ones better anyway. You should give them a try sometime!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
                                Otzi, don't say that nobody ever eats those things just because you've never heard of them! Here in S. Florida, plantains and taro at least are available in pretty much every grocery store. Plantains are easy to cook, and really delicious! I cooked up one of the sweet ones last night. Just peel, cut into 1-inch chunks, and sautee in a little coconut oil for a few minutes on each side. Easy! The green ones require a slightly different process, but I like the sweet ones better anyway. You should give them a try sometime!
                                Yep... FL, with it's diverse population is also very Carb diverse!

I pop the sweet ripe plantains in the oven, no oil needed... Delicious.

And yes... they do fit into my HFLC WOE just fine as occasional treats.
                                LOVE them!
                                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                                X