Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yes, though I eat mostly raw food anyway, as that works better for me, and there is also more RS in raw green plantains. That's an interesting sandwich idea, though, thanks. I hadn't heard of patacóns before. That single sandwich includes lots of types of foods.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...nder.html?_r=0
    Originally posted by tatertot
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

    "I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

    Comment


    • Has anyone else supplementing with PS lost cravings/desires for starchy veggies...specifically potatoes? Refrigerated, dry baked baby potatoes with salt have been about the only food I really crave and I would eat at least a 1/2 pound a day... every day. After about 2 weeks taking 3-4 tbs of PS a day, it is not that I have no cravings, I have no desire to eat potatoes. Haven't had any in a week which is a record.

      Not that they cause me any issues...Just curious if others have had desires/cravings for starchy veg go away with PS

      Comment


      • Really good, brand new podcast by Robb Wolf on RS.
        Find me on Facebook!

        Comment


        • resubscribing.
          JOURNAL..
          @BabesWithBBQ.
          Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
          Professional Style Website.
          #TeamBrisket Shirts

          Comment


          • I asked this once before, but don't know if anyone responded, as my subscription link didn't seem to work for a while.....I have been baking potatoes and chilling them, with some butter, and with the skin on......is it ok to eat the skin? I love the skin I will bake a large potato, chop up and mix with butter, chill in fridge for a while, eat half one day and half the next day......also doing 1 tsp potato starch a day
            The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

            M, 58, 6'0
            SW - 192
            CW - 180
            GW - 165-170

            Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

            Comment


            • Just to make sure I'm getting the right one...this is *the* potato starch right (for maximum RS)? Should I get plantain instead?

              Amazon.com: One 24 oz (1 lb 8 oz) 680 g Bob's Red Mill, Potato Starch Unmodified, Gluten Free: Health & Personal Care
              JOURNAL..
              @BabesWithBBQ.
              Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
              Professional Style Website.
              #TeamBrisket Shirts

              Comment


              • That's it, that's the strongest one. Plantains aren't as strong as potato starch. I've tried Barry Farm's and it seems to have RS2 but not as much as Bob's Red Mill UPS. They're actually green banana flour but call it plantain flour anyway. It's considered interchangeable. Other brands may not have RS2 at all; I would only trust Barry's.

                You might wanna try mung bean starch if you're next to Asian markets. That one can be fairly strong as well, I'm told. But I'm worrie a bit about antinutrients in raw mung beans.

                But the strongest RS2 you can get through mainstream sources is BRM PS. Hands down. I suppose Ener G's Potato Starch works as well. 4 tablespoons at midnight sends me off to a tranquil REM sleep and some sweet, vivid dreaming. Feel also great in the morning, too. Only those who've tried before sleep know the magic of this Jesus powder.

                Originally posted by TQP View Post
                Just to make sure I'm getting the right one...this is *the* potato starch right (for maximum RS)? Should I get plantain instead?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by choppedliver View Post
                  You might wanna try mung bean starch if you're next to Asian markets. That one can be fairly strong as well, I'm told. But I'm worrie a bit about antinutrients in raw mung beans.
                  Hm! The last time I ate a mountain of japchae the (crude) menu listed it as "glass bean noodle". I considered it an illicit indulgence--with all the heat I'm guessing it was exactly that.
                  37//6'3"/185

                  My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                    Hm! The last time I ate a mountain of japchae the (crude) menu listed it as "glass bean noodle". I considered it an illicit indulgence--with all the heat I'm guessing it was exactly that.
                    I've been exploring the wonder of glass noodles lately, too. Love them. The ones made of mung bean noodle starch are a great source of RS, like 20g per 100g of dried weight. The ones I buy come in an 8oz package with 4 'bundles' of the noodles inside, 1 bundle is about 1 serving and weighs 2oz or 56g, which would supply about 10g of RS.

                    All I do to them is soak in warm water about 20 minutes and toss in a stir fry for about 30 seconds. if you try to cook with them they turn into a pastey mess.

                    Mung beans seem to have a feature that makes them produce retrograded RS (RS3) very efficiently. I'm told there are also mung bean paste sheets that are equally delicious.

                    I wouldn't worry about anti-nutrients of the mung bean being in the starch, from what I seem, anti-nutrients are associated with the proteins that are removed during starch production.
                    Find me on Facebook!

                    Comment


                    • Glass noodles for HEALTH?!?

                      Dude I used to eat that shit cooked with Chinese cabbage and pork belly a LOT as a kid.

                      Time to go find some in Chinatown.
                      JOURNAL..
                      @BabesWithBBQ.
                      Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                      Professional Style Website.
                      #TeamBrisket Shirts

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
                        I asked this once before, but don't know if anyone responded, as my subscription link didn't seem to work for a while.....I have been baking potatoes and chilling them, with some butter, and with the skin on......is it ok to eat the skin? I love the skin I will bake a large potato, chop up and mix with butter, chill in fridge for a while, eat half one day and half the next day......also doing 1 tsp potato starch a day
                        The skin is fine. The chilling effect needs to last quite a while, like at least 8 hours. But, don't sweat it. You have a good routine. If you wanted to tweak it a bit, cook 5 or 6 potatoes and store them in the fridge til you're ready to eat. They can be reheated and the RS remains.

                        What I like to do is heat up well-chilled potatoes in the microwave until just 'fairly warm', then mix a spoonful of potato starch in with some sour cream and put that on the potato. This makes a potato that would normally contain 'maybe' 1g of RS eaten freshly cooked, have closer to 10g of RS. That's huge for such a small tweak.
                        Find me on Facebook!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                          mix a spoonful of potato starch in with some sour cream
                          I've been doing this as crudité dip (w/ some ACV and spices). Kinda neat since my usual gripe was that it was too runny.
                          37//6'3"/185

                          My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

                          Comment


                          • Welcome back, TQP.

                            Thanks for the podcast link, Tater. Interesting that Robb's LDL-P plummeted dramatically with potato starch. Very high LDL-P is something that Jimmy Moore has had for some time, last I saw, and Dr. Rakesh (Rocky) Patel reported having it on the podcast and at his blog--both have been on ketogenic diets. Dr. Patel speculated that it might be caused by "sub-clinical infection" (Arizona Sun Family Medicine: Does LDL-P Matter?). Given the info you've shared on RS, maybe RS builds up the good bacteria to fight off the bacteria causing an infection, and/or carries the "bad" bacteria out of the body, resulting in a drop in LDL-P. Interestingly, neither Jimmy nor Dr. Patel has shown any cardiovascular pathology or reported other problems despite the high LDL-P, but maybe it takes longer for negative effects to become apparent? I doubt that traditional hunter-gatherers have these super-high LDL-P levels, because someone likely would have said reported it by now (as in "Hey, these people aren't so healthy after all") and critics of Paleo would love to get their hands on that sort of info. So it doesn't seem like too much speculation to guess that super-high LDL-P is not a normal phenomenon in nature.

                            It's also interesting that on his previous approach that was low in RS, and a stressful life, Rob reported many of the typical VLC problems - low thyroid, high cortisol, high TSH, high reverse T3.

                            Originally posted by choppedliver View Post
                            That's it, that's the strongest one. Plantains aren't as strong as potato starch. I've tried Barry Farm's and it seems to have RS2 but not as much as Bob's Red Mill UPS. They're actually green banana flour but call it plantain flour anyway. It's considered interchangeable. Other brands may not have RS2 at all; I would only trust Barry's.
                            Given the misleading labels, how do you tell which is truly plantain starch? Do you test your BG after consumption of each?

                            Almost forgot to mention that someone tipped me off about another possible high-RS food: lúcuma (Pouteria lucuma)--a fruit native to the Peruvian Andes and reportedly with "a unique flavor of maple and sweet potato" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pouteria_lucuma. It's reportedly high in starch and low glycemic and nonetheless sweet (I'm guessing that RS offsets the sugar). Some raw vegans use it in powder form as a sweetener.

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxJCss-tmE
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV8uT3yea0w
                            Last edited by Paleophil; 01-26-2014, 03:18 PM.
                            Originally posted by tatertot
                            Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
                            "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

                            "I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

                            Comment


                            • So, I've been reading up on the whole RS thing and it makes a lot of sense. I've ordered some ps online, but in the meantime I'm doing this and it seems to be having an effect:

                              I grate a raw potato, cover it in water, and leave it to steep for a few hours. Then I drain off the potato water, squeeze the gratings dry, and drink it. Makes a big glass, and I drink it after my workout. I can see the starch sludge in the bottom of the glass. It tastes okay, kind of earthy. Not retchingly awful or anything. So I'm rsing and rehydrating at the same time. I know it's not a huge hit of ps, but since the idea is to introduce slowly, I figure it's a way to start. I've been LCHF to adjust my disordered metabolism and lose the flab I've gained after nearly 2 crappy years. Immediate impact has been not so much with rabbit pellet poop, which was starting to alarm me. Did try adding some cold cooked Basmati rice to my breakfast eggs but that was a disaster. My bs went haywire. Think I'll stick with reheated cooked spud, which I'll add to my diet asap.

                              Thanks to everyone here for the great info and discussions.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Paleophil View Post
                                Welcome back, TQP.

                                Thanks for the podcast link, Tater. Interesting that Robb's LDL-P plummeted dramatically with potato starch. Very high LDL-P is something that Jimmy Moore has had for some time, last I saw, and Dr. Rakesh (Rocky) Patel reported having it on the podcast and at his blog--both have been on ketogenic diets.
                                I listened to Robb's new podcast yesterday. I didn't know Robb had high LDL-P, and was initially excited that his had dropped dramatically after introducing RS. But let's not get too excited; Robb then mentioned that his thyroid had been wonky, and he had been working on thyroid and cortisol issues at the same time. A sluggish thyroid can really drive LDL up.

                                I have the same exact lipid profile as Jimmy Moore and, it seems, many paleo-ers: sky high LDL and LDL-P, everything else rock solid. Improving my LDL is one of the main reasons I became interested in RS.
                                My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                                On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X