Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
    No real recipe. Look on the back of a bag of chocolate chips, or use any cookie recipe. Substitute plantain flour for the wheat flour and primalize the rest of the ingredients. Mix the dough and eat it like a sneaky kid.
    My version - came out really well. I cut down on the sweetness, some might double up on the rice syrup.

20 g Cacao Nibs ground to powder
    150 g Potato Starch - Bobs RedMill
    20 g Tapioca Starch - Bobs RedMill
    30 g almond meal
    .25 tsp Salt
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    1 Pasturized Egg (did this in a Sous Vide setup, you can buy them or just go raw)
    8 tbsps Butter KerryGold
    70 g Brown Rice Syrup
    70 g Dark Chocolate Chips

Mix well, chill after portioning into blobs or whatever shape you want.

Comment

• RS pain

So I was a little over a week into my RS experiment, easing in with 1 TBSP of potato starch per day. I had some gas but I thought I was mostly passed it, and was getting ready to bump up to 2 TBSPs. Then one Saturday I happened to eat a lot of fermented food; sauerkraut and Kombucha. I also took a priobiotic and got a slight stomach ache. I woke up the next day shivering and my body was in total pain. I was in the bathroom all the next morning and was in pain for two days. My knees and torso really hurt and it was painful to move. Anyone experience anything like this?

Comment

• Originally posted by bwhit View Post
        So I was a little over a week into my RS experiment, easing in with 1 TBSP of potato starch per day. I had some gas but I thought I was mostly passed it, and was getting ready to bump up to 2 TBSPs. Then one Saturday I happened to eat a lot of fermented food; sauerkraut and Kombucha. I also took a priobiotic and got a slight stomach ache. I woke up the next day shivering and my body was in total pain. I was in the bathroom all the next morning and was in pain for two days. My knees and torso really hurt and it was painful to move. Anyone experience anything like this?
        Sounds to me like rotovirus or norovirus, common stomach flu, or a touch of food poisoning. More than one person has gone down from spoiled sauerkraut.
        Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
          Sounds to me like rotovirus or norovirus, common stomach flu, or a touch of food poisoning. More than one person has gone down from spoiled sauerkraut.
          My wife also ate the kraut and she's fine. I think it must have been more of a cumulative effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
            I almost always have poor short term memory because I have Executive Functioning Disorder.
            Made me think of this

Pointy-Haired_Boss.jpg
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• I haven't had any stomach or flu-like symptoms or joint pains at all from the Bob's PS. I can't even tell that I have consumed it, aside from later effects. The only negative symptom I've experienced over the months is flatulence. Regarding that, thanks to those who suggested taking the PS alone at night. I've had less flatulence and what there is I can expell in the morning. It also seems to give me more energy in the morning, and it makes it easier to determine how much PS I should take per day, as I can adjust depending on how much I've eaten during the day. The only downside is that the flatus does tend to accumulate overnight, so some mornings can be a bit uncomfortable.

I found that the more food I eat with the PS, the more flatus there tends to be, and others have reported similar things. Tatertot, do you have any idea why this would be? My guess is that the PS can interfere with digesting certain foods, resulting in some of them making it to the intestine. Having a little bit of easily-digestible cultured buttermilk, lemon juice and/or honey with it seems relatively OK for me.
              Last edited by Paleophil; 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM.
              Originally posted by tatertot
              Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
              "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleophil View Post
                I haven't had any stomach or flu-like symptoms or joint pains at all from the Bob's PS. I can't even tell that I have consumed it, aside from later effects. The only negative symptom I've experienced over the months is flatulence. Regarding that, thanks to those who suggested taking the PS alone at night. I've had less flatulence and what there is I can expell in the morning. It also seems to give me more energy in the morning, and it makes it easier to determine how much PS I should take per day, as I can adjust depending on how much I've eaten during the day. The only downside is that the flatus does tend to accumulate overnight, so some mornings can be a bit uncomfortable.

I found that the more food I eat with the PS, the more flatus there tends to be, and others have reported similar things. Tatertot, do you have any idea why this would be? My guess is that the PS can interfere with digesting certain foods, resulting in some of them making it to the intestine. Having a little bit of easily-digestible cultured buttermilk, lemon juice and/or honey with it seems relatively OK for me.
                I have theories for everything!

Have you looked at some of the potato diet threads? People commonly eat 2-4 or more pounds of spuds in a day, this equates to something like 20-120g of RS depending on how the potatoes are prepared, and I don't think anybody has ever reported massive flatulence, however, when eating normally and taking a few spoonfuls of PS, almost everyone gets gas.

What I think is going on is that your gut flora are in hyper drive, and they really tear into everything you give them. The more plant matter the more gas. I know for me it was a bit out-of-control the first few weeks, but I stuck it out and now, a full year later, gas is probably less than any time in my life no matter what I eat--beans by the bowl full, big ass salads with raw onions, broccoli, and other things that used to really gas me up. Completely gone are the noxious, green cloud kind of farts that would hit after certain food combos.

That's just my theory. Thanks for asking!
                Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• tatertot, I have increased my plant food consumption like you suggested. Organic broccoli was on sale so I have been eating about a pound of that a day. So, I am up to about 3 pounds a day. I think you're theory makes sense, but how come, even with the increased plant food I still have haven't experienced the gas? You thought the lack of gas was caused by a lack of good gut bacteria. I take Prescript-Assist, kefir and fermented vegetables daily.
                  “Let no barrier you face stop you from acting to optimal.” Dr. Jack Kruse

"People who lack the clarity, courage, or determination to follow their own dreams will often find ways to discourage yours. When you change for the better, the people around you will be inspired to change also….but only after doing their best to make you stop." Dr. Jack Kruse

Comment

• Reading other peoples' experiences has been really helpful for me and mine, so I wanted to share how it's going for us.

Me: 3 T BRM potato starch, tapered up pretty quickly
                    -Better sleep
                    -No gas til I added that 3rd tablespoon of PS
                    -In 2013, I developed weirdness on my scalp (if I were an infant, we'd probably call it cradle cap), and that went away with the PS
                    -I don't think my digestion, overall, is worse than average (no long-standing problems) but even after 6-8 weeks of 3T of potato starch, I still feel like I'm in a slower/low level transition state (I was used to very steady/regular digestion).

Husband: 5 weeks on 1 tablespoon of potato starch
                    -He doesn't have a history of gastro problems (he'd say his digestion was fine, I had concerns, even though he has no pain, weird bloating, blatant symptoms).
                    -When he first started, he had to run to the bathroom half a dozen times a day. That wasn't calming down very quickly and around 2 weeks he started with some Prescript Assist (which caused more gastro weirdness, but we're hoping it'll be normalizing in the longer run).
                    -We're tracking his basal body temps (they run low) and both times we've done big increases (trying to figure out a dosage for him, before settling on 1 T) his body temp dropped the next morning.
                    -But since he's been at 1T consistently, his temp fluctuations have reduced. The high temps haven't gone up, but it's like a floor has been lifted raising his low temps. More stability seems like a good thing.
                    -I think his mood/energy have improved although that's always difficult to be sure as to causality.
                    -I have no idea why he's so much slower/more difficult to adapt to this. He has a very average (for the US) history of things that seem like they'd affect gut bacteria, but based on his response, I'm assuming he had a stable but fairly unhealthy mix of gut bacteria and that it will take more work/time to get to a good spot. And we've been eating real food with occasional kimchi for several years now.

And thanks for everyone who's been sharing experiences and theories. I've been working on my kids' digestion for a couple years now, and this looks like it may be a big piece of the puzzle (and yay that it's good for me too).

Comment

• You guys want to hear me talking about resistant starch? Listen
                      Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Tatertot - tried to listen but had to give up due to the chopped up edited interview. Don't really like that style of interview. Wanted to hear what you had to say in full. Appreciate all your work here and will continue getting my info this way. I do like that website, just not his show style. Hopefully someone will post any new ideas you might have presented.

thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by eats.meats.west View Post
                          Tatertot - tried to listen but had to give up due to the chopped up edited interview. Don't really like that style of interview. Wanted to hear what you had to say in full. Appreciate all your work here and will continue getting my info this way. I do like that website, just not his show style. Hopefully someone will post any new ideas you might have presented.

thanks again.
                          No new ideas, mainly all the stuff we have been talking about here!
                          Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Listened to it, found it very interesting. Had no idea about the parboiled rice and how it was produced! Managed to source it here.
                            Agree with the other poster about the format of the podcast, but it was much better than the other one from the other day with R. Nikoley (presenter just not very good).
                            Keep up the good work!

Comment

• Woo hoo! Plantain flour on Amazon is down from $60/pound to $2.99/pound! Unfortunately, shipping is more than $7. I hate paying so much for shipping for a cheap item! No Amazon Prime either.
                              My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                              On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

• Originally posted by Annika View Post
                                Woo hoo! Plantain flour on Amazon is down from $60/pound to $2.99/pound! Unfortunately, shipping is more than $7. I hate paying so much for shipping for a cheap item! No Amazon Prime either.
                                I can't find any good deal on plantain flour. I'm in Canada and amazon.com won't ship food up here, and amazon.ca doesn't have any plantain flour. Found a website (can't remember what is was) that will ship to Canada where they list it as under $3 for 1lb., but shipping for 2lbs. was almost $70. I'd really like to try it since plantains are one thing that I know won't bother my stomach, but wow is it hard to get ahold of.

Comment

Working...
                                X