Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paleophil View Post
    Tatertot, thanks for the RS cookie recipe.
    Can you please post a link to the recipe?

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
      I ran across a Dutch blog the other day talking about potato starch, but I didn't save the link. it seemed like a lot of people were really happy trying it out.
      That would be this massive thread on http://melchiormeijer.wordpress.com/...hack-van-2013/
      Interesting discussion going on there, quite a few people reporting positive experiences,also one diabetic doing a thorough n=1 who has seen good results.

Comment

• I realized this morning that I've been sleeping VERY deeply lately and having INCREDIBLY vivid dreams. Perhaps the potato starch? Weird! I've been waking up groggy though. I'm waiting to see if that passes or stays.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• Try this to make them savory

Originally posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
          Before I put my plantain chips in the dehydrator, I sprinkled them with lime juice and sea salt. They came out great! It's nice to have something crunchy to snack on.
          This is a topping I often use with Tostones, green fried smashed plantains: mash a couple of scallions with a bit of kosher salt into a paste. Smear on the tostones. In the case of chips consider using the scallions like a dip. And there's always guacamole, you can never go wrong with that healthy fat!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
            Can you please post a link to the recipe?
            No real recipe. Look on the back of a bag of chocolate chips, or use any cookie recipe. Substitute plantain flour for the wheat flour and primalize the rest of the ingredients. Mix the dough and eat it like a sneaky kid.
            Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
              no real recipe. Look on the back of a bag of chocolate chips, or use any cookie recipe. Substitute plantain flour for the wheat flour and primalize the rest of the ingredients. Mix the dough and eat it like a sneaky kid.
              o_o
              ------
              HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                I realized this morning that I've been sleeping VERY deeply lately and having INCREDIBLY vivid dreams. Perhaps the potato starch? Weird! I've been waking up groggy though. I'm waiting to see if that passes or stays.
                Sleep is an area almost everybody sees some changes. usually for the better, and usually with more dreams, but I could see it going the other way, too.

Gut flora is tied deeply to sleep circuits, when well-fed, gut bugs produce serotonin, melatonin, trytophan, and GABA, either directly or indirectly. There are other neurotransmitters at play, also, and linked to depression, anxiety, ADHD, autism, and also lots of autoimmune conditions.

If you want to see some interesting research, look at the connection between RS feedings and its effect on the immune system, particularly Peyer's Patches and T-Cells. All kinds of research in this area.

Peyer's Patches basically ARE the immune system, they are a part of the intestines, when flooded with SCFA produced by gut flora they become very robust and finely tune the immune system. T Cells are part of all this, too. This is also where the connection between immunity, RS, and diabetes/insulin sensitivity lies.

Have ya'all been keeping up with Steve Cooksey the Diabetic Warrior? He's doing some good experimenting w/potato starch.

OMG!!! Intense Exercise: Another Resistant Starch TEST!
                Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• These seem to be some positive signs that one is getting enough resistant starch and B vitamins and has at least some beneficial microbiota:

- vivid, colorful dreams
                  - lucid dreams, sometimes dealing with real life or generating creative ideas or solutions
                  - good dream recall, to the point that one can discuss the dreams with someone later on (which African Bushmen reportedly do quite often)

These seem to be negative signs that the body does not have what it needs:

- dreaming only in black and white
                  - chaotic dreams or nightmares
                  - poor dream recall aside from nightmares that wake one up (quickly forgetting even the nightmares is a worse sign)
                  - poor short-term memory in general ("senior moments," forgetting where you put your keys, forgetting why you walked into a room, forgetting names, etc.)
                  Originally posted by tatertot
                  Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
                  "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• I almost always have poor short term memory because I have Executive Functioning Disorder. My dreams lately have been bordering nightmare, but very vivid and colorful, and some slightly lucid. It will be interesting to observe these changes. I almost always remember my dreams.
                    Depression Lies

Comment

• Where are you getting info on the signs paleophil?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'm using the gold standard: Bob's Red Mill potato starch, and it still seems to cause me significant GI discomfort. I've stopped taking it again, and will give it another try after a break, just to make sure it's not a coincidence.

I'd like to try plantain flour, but the only one on Amazon with no additional ingredients went up to $60/pound (LOL!) and if you buy direct from the supplier (Barry Farm), the shipping costs more than the product.
                        My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                        On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

I realized this morning that I've been sleeping VERY deeply lately and having INCREDIBLY vivid dreams. Perhaps the potato starch? Weird! I've been waking up groggy though. I'm waiting to see if that passes or stays.
                          I've done the potato diet too, got good results but found I was sleeping more. Although you woke up groggy, did you ultimately feel better once you'd fully woken? I read about a potato at night being more effective than prozac for depression and I've never slept better since I made my evening meal just microwaved potatoes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Annika View Post
                            I'm using the gold standard: Bob's Red Mill potato starch...
                            My guess would be that the Frontier organic PS would be the gold standard, though I haven't tried that. It's more expensive, but I do wonder if some of the people reporting symptoms from the BRM would do better with it.

Shipping cost is definitely the problem with plantain flours. Including shipping, this one works out to $27.16/lb, even though it's quite cheap before shipping: http://www.everythingtrini.com/comme...p?productid=61

I see that several of the products in Tatertot's delectable cookie recipe have shot up in price on Amazon or been sold out. LOL
                            Last edited by Paleophil; 01-12-2014, 08:40 AM.
                            Originally posted by tatertot
                            Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
                            "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• Originally posted by RhondaB View Post
                              I've done the potato diet too, got good results but found I was sleeping more. Although you woke up groggy, did you ultimately feel better once you'd fully woken? I read about a potato at night being more effective than prozac for depression and I've never slept better since I made my evening meal just microwaved potatoes.
                              No, I was tired all day too. There are other factors such as stress in my life to consider. I'm starting a 3-day potato hack tomorrow though so we'll see what happens.
                              Depression Lies

Comment

That happens to me when I intake a huge amount of Tryptophan (a type of protein). I only wake up groggy when I combine that with something like valerian tea, though. It would explain the deep sleep and vivid dreams as tryptophan helps with sleep issues and is also the precursor to DMT and Serotonin.

I love the stuff :P

Comment

Working...
                                X