Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TaterTot, you ROCK! Thanks for that very clear explanation. And thanks also to PaleoPhil. I had no idea anyone was eating tubers raw. They generally seem like things that need to be well cooked to be edible. Great info!

    Coincidentally, I went to a Nicaraguan dinner tonight and ate yuca for the first time! We'll, I've had tapioca starch, but this was the first time I've eaten it as a vegetable. Very potato-like. It was cooked and cooled, so... RS FTW!
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Annika View Post
      TaterTot, you ROCK! Thanks for that very clear explanation. And thanks also to PaleoPhil. I had no idea anyone was eating tubers raw. They generally seem like things that need to be well cooked to be edible. Great info!

      Coincidentally, I went to a Nicaraguan dinner tonight and ate yuca for the first time! We'll, I've had tapioca starch, but this was the first time I've eaten it as a vegetable. Very potato-like. It was cooked and cooled, so... RS FTW!
      I've loved eating raw potatoes since I was a child.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
        Tubers certainly fit in an ancestral framework. A certain amount would probably have been eaten raw or undercooked. A certain amount probably would have been eaten cooled as leftovers (with increase in RS due to cooling).
        The thing i have issues with, is the fact high RS containing foods such as potatoe, rice, oats, breads, maize porridge etc aren't paleo foods (potatoe is like a modern paleo food as apposed to tubers such as sweet potatoes, plantains etc), yet something like Sweet Potatoe is and isnt high at all in RS department.
        Last edited by zizou; 12-15-2013, 09:41 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by zizou View Post
          The thing i have issues with, is the fact high RS containing foods such as potatoe, rice, oats, breads, maize porridge etc aren't paleo foods (potatoe is like a modern paleo food as apposed to tubers such as sweet potatoes, plantains etc), yet something like Sweet Potatoe is and isnt high at all in RS department.
          Potatoes are grown from the ground.
          Unripen green bananas ? 15g RS each one .

          I don't do pulses , maize corn etc but I do rice and potatoes and green bananas.



          From London England UK

          Comment


          • Originally posted by zizou View Post
            The thing i have issues with, is the fact high RS containing foods such as potatoe, rice, oats, breads, maize porridge etc aren't paleo foods (potatoe is like a modern paleo food as apposed to tubers such as sweet potatoes, plantains etc), yet something like Sweet Potatoe is and isnt high at all in RS department.
            One thing that gets confusing is the difference between sweet potatoes and yams.

            Yams are the original starch source from Africa, the ones we ate for like 2 million years.

            Yam is the common name for some plant species in the genus Dioscorea (family Dioscoreaceae) that form edible tubers. These are perennial herbaceous vines cultivated for the consumption of their starchy tubers in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean and Oceania. There are many cultivars of yam. Although the sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) has also been referred to as a yam in parts of the United States and Canada, it is not part of the family Dioscoreaceae, rather it is in the Morning glory family Convolvulaceae.

            The true yam is a versatile vegetable. It can be barbecued, roasted, fried, grilled, boiled, baked, smoked and when grated it is processed into a dessert recipe. Yams are the staple crop of the Igbo people of Nigeria, in their language it is known as ji, and they commemorate it by having yam festivals known as Iri-ji or Iwa-Ji depending on the dialect.
            Real yams have quite a bit of RS, sweet potatoes not so much. Probably modern yams don't have near the RS as they did 2,000,000 years ago, being bred and raised for human consumption. But, I think that ancestrally, RS was the norm, and forgotten about as we grew more civilized as humans.
            Find me on Facebook!

            Comment


            • I talked to my husband two nights ago about my meager understanding of how RS works. He had me put a teaspoon in his juice . I don't know if he's trying to sort something out with his digestion (I'm approaching that conversation carefully), but I was impressed that he took an interest.

              So far, at just a few days of 2 tsp (one in AM, one in PM) of potato starch, with Saccharomyces boulardii once a day, plus calcium-magnesium butyrate at every meal, my bowel movements seem a bit more regular. I'm taking this very slowly, as I don't expect this chronic constipation to really ease up over night. I've experienced more gas lately, but it's not painful at least.
              Depression Lies

              Comment


              • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                I talked to my husband two nights ago about my meager understanding of how RS works. He had me put a teaspoon in his juice . I don't know if he's trying to sort something out with his digestion (I'm approaching that conversation carefully), but I was impressed that he took an interest.

                So far, at just a few days of 2 tsp (one in AM, one in PM) of potato starch, with Saccharomyces boulardii once a day, plus calcium-magnesium butyrate at every meal, my bowel movements seem a bit more regular. I'm taking this very slowly, as I don't expect this chronic constipation to really ease up over night. I've experienced more gas lately, but it's not painful at least.
                I'd be interested to hear how you go with this protocol as it's exactly what i was going to try to beef up my digestion and improve regularity. I was goign to get some potato starch, butyrate supplement and probiotics. Keep us updated!

                Regarding RS sources, i like baked beans, so i was planning on soaking, boiling etc a batch properly and eat it as a nice cold snack. I believe they are high in RS and can cater to my minerals and protein too, pretty good on paper even though i know the trouble involved digesting the darn stuff! But hopefully careful preperation will deal with most of it. Sauerkraut is typically eaten with beans by people for years, not only does it taste good but its good for your gut and people didnt even know it!
                Last edited by zizou; 12-16-2013, 04:16 PM.

                Comment


                • I think the cal-mag butyrate supplement is still key for me, as well as making sure I eat enough. Obviously, if there's not enough volume going in, my body won't have enough waste to put out. I'm hoping I can reduce or eliminate the need for the butyrate supplement eventually, but I don't think my body is producing much, if any, on its own yet.
                  Depression Lies

                  Comment


                  • I haven't had (or remembered) a SINGLE dream since I was 17 y/o(I turn 30 in a month). Last night, that changed, I had 2 of the most vivid dreams ever. This is on only 1 week of cooled rice/black beans for lunch, not even any potato starch.
                    Last edited by WeldingHank; 12-17-2013, 09:37 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Hi, a couple of points,
                      1 is the integrity of rs protected if potatoes and rice are reheated in a microwave?
                      2 Did anyone else notice the weight lost by contestants on "I'm a celebrity"? One celeb lost 30 pounds in 3 weeks. The result of living on rice and beans with a sometimes normal evening meal.
                      My story, primal for 2 years and getting disillusioned. Now back into it full on but including lots of rs. Loving it. Big thanks for this post.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by kijosan View Post
                        Did anyone else notice the weight lost by contestants on "I'm a celebrity"? One celeb lost 30 pounds in 3 weeks. The result of living on rice and beans with a sometimes normal evening meal.
                        What you see on that show is highly edited and often bears no relationship to the unedited reality. It is often the case they they intentionally make themselves severely dehydrated through excessive hot weather exercise in order to produce that number.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by kijosan View Post

                          1 is the integrity of rs protected if potatoes and rice are reheated in a microwave?
                          Not as well protected as if you'd heat it by frying really quickly in a pan w/hot oil, but probably not enough to worry about. I keep beans and rice in the freezer, when I get ready to eat, I put in a glass bowl to defrost in the microwave, then finish heating in a frying pan with or without oil.
                          Find me on Facebook!

                          Comment


                          • tatertot, I am taking 4 TBSP a day of PS (Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch). I am taking 1 TBSP in two does twice during the day and 2 TBSP at bedtime. Is there an ideal way of taking PS? I am putting it in veggies and the 2 TBSP at night I'm taking in kefir. Would adding it to water and taking on an empty stomach be better? How much do you take daily?

                            Is there a blog you would suggest for data on RS?
                            “Let no barrier you face stop you from acting to optimal.” Dr. Jack Kruse

                            "People who lack the clarity, courage, or determination to follow their own dreams will often find ways to discourage yours. When you change for the better, the people around you will be inspired to change also….but only after doing their best to make you stop." Dr. Jack Kruse

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Theta View Post
                              tatertot, I am taking 4 TBSP a day of PS (Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch). I am taking 1 TBSP in two does twice during the day and 2 TBSP at bedtime. Is there an ideal way of taking PS? I am putting it in veggies and the 2 TBSP at night I'm taking in kefir. Would adding it to water and taking on an empty stomach be better? How much do you take daily?

                              Is there a blog you would suggest for data on RS?
                              Honestly, you should experiment to find what dosing schedule and amount works best for you. As for me, I vary it up between 2tbsp in the morning and another 2 in the evening, and 4 tbsp either in the morning or evening. Usually with kefir, though sometimes with water. And with the kefir, I usually mix it, leave it alone for about 20 minutes and then drink.

                              As for a blog, Free the Animal.
                              turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Theta View Post
                                tatertot, I am taking 4 TBSP a day of PS (Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch). I am taking 1 TBSP in two does twice during the day and 2 TBSP at bedtime. Is there an ideal way of taking PS? I am putting it in veggies and the 2 TBSP at night I'm taking in kefir. Would adding it to water and taking on an empty stomach be better? How much do you take daily?

                                Is there a blog you would suggest for data on RS?
                                Grafter got it right. I personally take about 4TBS, not carefully measured, after dinner, mixed with yogurt and blueberries, or maybe a mashed banana, or just in water. I'm not real particular, just getting it in you is more important than any complicated regime.
                                Find me on Facebook!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X