Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jammies View Post
    i am noticing that this plantain flour has a bite to it - almost spicy. is that normal?
    What brand of plantain flour are you using?
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
      Tatertot I'm a little surprised that you can get plantains where you are. I've only seen them a couple of times where I live. Maybe nobody bought them but me.
      I think it has to do with immigrant communities in the area driving demand. I live in Maine, and every supermarket sells them.

      Comment


      • My husband and I are brand new to resistant starch. We have been having some potato starch (1-2 TBS) each day for almost a week, and both of us have been feeling kinda crappy. Nothing major, just some annoying indigestion. Not a lot of farting as is commonly reported, but bloating and generally unhappy tummies. I haven't seen many reports of indigestion. I assume it's part of an adjustment period, but it's kind of a drag.

        Has anyone else experienced this? I think we are going to take a break and try again in a few days. We have had a lot of stress this week, so that could be affecting our tummies too.
        My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
        On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Annika View Post
          My husband and I are brand new to resistant starch. We have been having some potato starch (1-2 TBS) each day for almost a week, and both of us have been feeling kinda crappy. Nothing major, just some annoying indigestion. Not a lot of farting as is commonly reported, but bloating and generally unhappy tummies. I haven't seen many reports of indigestion. I assume it's part of an adjustment period, but it's kind of a drag.

          Has anyone else experienced this? I think we are going to take a break and try again in a few days. We have had a lot of stress this week, so that could be affecting our tummies too.
          I've never heard complaints of upset tummies. Farting, yes. Whatever you feel, back off the dose and readjust. Add more as it feels more natural. The eventual goal, IMO, should be 20-40g RS per day from real food and supplemented potato starch or another raw starch like green banana, dried plantains, or even Hi-Maize corn starch (sold as King Arthur's I believe)
          Find me on Facebook!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by tatertot View Post
            I've never heard complaints of upset tummies. Farting, yes. Whatever you feel, back off the dose and readjust. Add more as it feels more natural. The eventual goal, IMO, should be 20-40g RS per day from real food and supplemented potato starch or another raw starch like green banana, dried plantains, or even Hi-Maize corn starch (sold as King Arthur's I believe)
            what's the best way to do this as real food?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
              So, I had the opposite effect as it relates to sleep......I took a TBSP of potato starch in a goats milk, kefir, full fat greek yogurt, protein powder, frozen peaches-smoothie around 3pm yesterday, then another TBSP in my evening desert of full fat greek yogurt, honey, and raspberries......also had about 200gms of baked potato, but not cooked and cooled so probably not significant amount of RS, along with 4oz. of grass-fed beef liver for dinner......and I don't think I fell into a deep sleep all night. Now, I have had this issue off and on now for a couple of years, so it could be just 'one of those nights', but I must admit I was disappointed after hearing some of the testimonials about sleep and dreaming.......but it was almost like a steady level of glucose all night kept me awake? Any thoughts? I am relatively stress-free, did some in-house calisthenics for exercise.....
              I had this same issue when I went from 1 tsp. of potato starch to 1 Tablespoon. I had been sleeping well with 1 tsp. morning and night. When I got all excited and jumped up to 1 Tablespoon, I didn't sleep well at all. And I take klonopin to help me sleep! I had to take a double dose and I still didn't sleep well that night. My goal is to eventually be sleeping so well from the potato starch that I can discontinue the klonopin.

              The lesson is to increase slowly. I gradually increased from 1 tsp. morning and night to 1 1/2 for a couple of days, then 2 tsp., etc. If I'm not getting crazy gas and am sleeping well, then I know I can go ahead and increase again. My sleep went back to being really good the night after the 1 Tbsp. experiment, when I dropped down to 1 1/2 tsp. Give that a shot, it should help! Tomorrow I'll be up to 1 Tbsp. morning and night, and that's with only a week of incremental increases. In another week I'll be at the recommended 4 Tbsp. a day.

              Comment


              • Continuing my RS update from above..

                After I dropped the RS foods from my diet and focused solely on slowly increasing the potato starch, things improved. I lost the weight and bloat that I had gained, and then some. I'm sleeping well and have great energy. The TMI aspect of things is phenomenal. It's hard to tell how much of that I can credit solely to the potato starch though. Just prior to beginning to supplement with it, I started taking GI Fortify (which has some psyllium powder in it) and Amazing Greens, which has some fiber in it as well. I've been able to back off of the magnesium citrate that I was taking for the sole purpose of keeping things moving.

                I take the potato starch with a soil based organism pre/probiotic (Prescript Assist). That's on an empty stomach in the morning, along w/the Amazing Greens and GI Fortify. And I take it just before going to bed at night, ideally a couple of hours after having eaten dinner, w/another Prescript Assist.

                So far, so good! I'm getting good vibrations from my body telling me that it likes what I'm doing. After having a pretty restrictive diet for awhile (I never knew what would cause bloat and discomfort), I've started adding in some more foods. My veggies were limited to green beans, zucchini and asparagus for awhile, but I recently had some roasted small potatoes and even some kale sauteed in bacon fat w/onions. I was staying way from onions for awhile because they're a high FODMAP food, but they're also an excellent prebiotic source. I'm happy to report that I haven't any GI distress or bloating from the new veggies and plan to continue adding in more. Eventually that will include RS foods, as well.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dazygyrl View Post
                  what's the best way to do this as real food?
                  Pre-cook and chill potatoes, rice, and beans. Freeze them if possible, then thaw and reheat. Try to eat at least 1/2 pound of these foods (or a combo of) a day. Also, eat very frequently: slices of raw potato (if you can), very green bananas, thinly sliced and dried plantains, raw oats (maybe 1/2 cup a week), also there are lots of tubers and starches available that I don't have experience with like taro, cassava, chinese yam, and a few others. Eat these foods alongside fermented foods like kimchee, sauerkraut, kefire, kombucha, beet kvass, etc... Eating like this should easily get you 20-40g/day. A really green banana has around 15g, a dried plantain about 30g, a pound of potato/rice/beans cooked, cooled, reheated has about 15g.

                  It's tough, but do-able. The biggest problem I have with real food only is that the RS ratings are very fickle and change depending on food prep. A slight variation in cooking temp can mean a big change in RS content. With potato starch it's an exact dose every time--about 8g per TBS. Even bananas change fast as they go from green (15g) to yellow (0g).

                  Originally posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
                  Continuing my RS update from above..

                  After I dropped the RS foods from my diet and focused solely on slowly increasing the potato starch, things improved. I lost the weight and bloat that I had gained, and then some. I'm sleeping well and have great energy. The TMI aspect of things is phenomenal. It's hard to tell how much of that I can credit solely to the potato starch though. Just prior to beginning to supplement with it, I started taking GI Fortify (which has some psyllium powder in it) and Amazing Greens, which has some fiber in it as well. I've been able to back off of the magnesium citrate that I was taking for the sole purpose of keeping things moving.

                  I take the potato starch with a soil based organism pre/probiotic (Prescript Assist). That's on an empty stomach in the morning, along w/the Amazing Greens and GI Fortify. And I take it just before going to bed at night, ideally a couple of hours after having eaten dinner, w/another Prescript Assist.

                  So far, so good! I'm getting good vibrations from my body telling me that it likes what I'm doing. After having a pretty restrictive diet for awhile (I never knew what would cause bloat and discomfort), I've started adding in some more foods. My veggies were limited to green beans, zucchini and asparagus for awhile, but I recently had some roasted small potatoes and even some kale sauteed in bacon fat w/onions. I was staying way from onions for awhile because they're a high FODMAP food, but they're also an excellent prebiotic source. I'm happy to report that I haven't any GI distress or bloating from the new veggies and plan to continue adding in more. Eventually that will include RS foods, as well.
                  Wow! Doing great. Glad to see you working it. As far as I'm concerned, it's just the right thing to do. Glad others are seeing it, too.
                  Find me on Facebook!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                    Pre-cook and chill potatoes, rice, and beans. Freeze them if possible, then thaw and reheat. Try to eat at least 1/2 pound of these foods (or a combo of) a day. Also, eat very frequently: slices of raw potato (if you can), very green bananas, thinly sliced and dried plantains, raw oats (maybe 1/2 cup a week), also there are lots of tubers and starches available that I don't have experience with like taro, cassava, chinese yam, and a few others. Eat these foods alongside fermented foods like kimchee, sauerkraut, kefire, kombucha, beet kvass, etc... Eating like this should easily get you 20-40g/day. A really green banana has around 15g, a dried plantain about 30g, a pound of potato/rice/beans cooked, cooled, reheated has about 15g.

                    It's tough, but do-able. The biggest problem I have with real food only is that the RS ratings are very fickle and change depending on food prep. A slight variation in cooking temp can mean a big change in RS content. With potato starch it's an exact dose every time--about 8g per TBS. Even bananas change fast as they go from green (15g) to yellow (0g).
                    thanks! the most doable and practical thing for me would be the rice and potatoes and then PS on top of that.

                    Comment


                    • got rice and black beans in the fridge for lunch this week, gonna pick up some potato starch next week, RS trials in full effect!

                      Comment


                      • I forgot to mention - I have gotten some headaches since starting the PS protocol, including one migraine. Lately I only get headaches when I'm doing something which I know is causing detox, so I count the headaches as a good sign that the good bugs are growing and kicking some bad bug butts!

                        I realized something last night that I hadn't connected to potato starch before. I clench my teeth at night, and have for quite awhile. I have a bite guard that I wear at night, but I usually don't need it when I'm taking klonopin, as it relaxes me. Ever since I started taking PS, I dare not even take a nap w/out my bite guard! I am clenching like crazy, and the more PS I take, the harder I clench. Last night I woke myself up from the pain in my jaw. I really hope that this is a temporary effect. I can't even imagine what aspect of RS would cause this. I read something somewhere recently about gut bacteria and teeth clenching, but haven't been able to find it again. I was under the impression that a lack of good bacteria would cause it, if anything. Maybe this is an instance of things getting worse before they get better. That's what I'm hoping for, in any case!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by dazygyrl View Post
                          thanks! the most doable and practical thing for me would be the rice and potatoes and then PS on top of that.
                          That's exactly what I do.
                          Maybe the odd green banana too


                          From London England UK

                          Comment


                          • Wouldn't all this suggest that tubers were eaten mostly raw until quite recently in our evolution?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
                              I realized something last night that I hadn't connected to potato starch before. I clench my teeth at night, and have for quite awhile. I have a bite guard that I wear at night, but I usually don't need it when I'm taking klonopin, as it relaxes me. Ever since I started taking PS, I dare not even take a nap w/out my bite guard! I am clenching like crazy, and the more PS I take, the harder I clench. Last night I woke myself up from the pain in my jaw. I really hope that this is a temporary effect. I can't even imagine what aspect of RS would cause this. I read something somewhere recently about gut bacteria and teeth clenching, but haven't been able to find it again. I was under the impression that a lack of good bacteria would cause it, if anything. Maybe this is an instance of things getting worse before they get better. That's what I'm hoping for, in any case!
                              Oh wow! I've been experiencing this exact same thing. Started with potato starch a few weeks ago and I've been clenching like crazy, even when I'm awake. I've been wearing my bite splint around the house because I can't stop clenching my jaw. And my sleep has been weird. I used to be able to fall asleep fast and sleep all night, but since the PS it's been really intermittent. Sleep for 3 hours, awake for 3 hours, maybe fall asleep again for an hour and a half if I'm lucky. I didn't even think of it being connected to the PS so I'm thinking of stopping for a week and see if it improves.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by otzi View Post
                                re: Pectin - good call! I see Apple Pectin in the healthfood stores, never knew much about it. I bought a jar of ground psyllium husks, but they turn to instant jelly when you mix them with stuff unless you completely water it down. Psyllium husk is a 'mucilage' type of fermentable fiber.
                                I had gone back and was reading this thread from the beginning. I've been wondering about psyllium powder for a little bit now, because it's recommended as one of the supplements by Dr. BG for curing SIBO, along with RS. She chimes in on the Free the Animal blog in the comments. So when I came across the above, I started doing a little more research. It turns out that the psyllium husk powder that everyone uses is just a bulking agent and does nothing to feed one's beneficial bacteria. Mark actually wrote about it in a "Is it Primal?" post - Is Psyllium Husk Primal or Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple.
                                It's psyllium seed powder that's food for our good guys. Any thoughts on using psyllium seed powder in addition to RS for an even healthier microbiome?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X