Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Well, I am having wilder dreams and my slepp is marginally better (meaning still pretty poor). Gas has increased, but not disastrously so. I jumped in with 3-4 T per day in yogurt, thou had been added more taters recently so the flora may have been there and probably just shifted populations around some. I will keep at it on the D3 theory that it is likely to have wide spectrum of benefits. (and put up with a certain amount of spousal eye-rolling, but I have gotten pretty used to that!)
    IDIOT - Getting the gut right is vitally important to us crazy few living so far north!

New study on connection between gut microbes and Vit D levels.

Conclusions: To our knowledge this is the first report of increased circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D in response to oral probiotic supplementation.
    The probiotic used in the above study was a micro-encapsulated version of L. Reuteri. This is a common strain that we should all have, but don't.

What was special about the L. reuteri used in the Vit D study, is that is was encapsulated in a substance resembling resistant starch, so it was able to survive the stomach ans small intestine and actually grow in the large intestine. The company that makes this probiotic uses "silicon dioxide, mag*nesium stearate, microcrystalline cellu*lose (for even dispersal of cultures)" to encapsulate the live bacteria.

This same effect is seen by simply stirring potato starch into your yogurt or kefir. The microbes love RS so much, they attach themselves to it the second they come in contact.
    Last edited by tatertot; 11-28-2013, 11:37 AM.
    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Dang, tatertot, you figured out my username. Now I have to change it. MikeOscarRomeoOscarNovember is too cumbersome. Ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
        I'm going to answer this hesitantly, because I hate to put ideas in people's heads which can sometimes be more powerful than the actual physical changes.

'Many people' have reported that almost immediately they are sleeping better and having more vivid dreams. This has some good support in science in that many brain neurotransmitters (serotonin and dopamine) are produced in the gut by the same microbes that produce and eat butyrate. Read more here and here.

Another short-term phenomenon is the second-meal effect. But you can't 'feel' it. You can see it if you are tracking BG as diabetics do. Also a lowering of FBG and A1C is seen pretty quickly.

Another shorter term, 3-6 weeks, effect is that people who are lactose intolerant find they can tolerate dairy again. YMMV

People have reported that long-standing skin problems and allergies have cleared up after a few weeks--another well-supported phenomenon.

But, more than likely, the first thing you will notice is changes in gas and bowel movements. When this happens, rest-assured that good things are happening!

I always tell people to expect nothing, and see what happens. If you are waiting anxiously, you may be disappointed. I liken supplementing RS with taking my daily K2 and D3 pills. I never notice anything, but I know it's good for me.
        Thanks for this.
        F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

• Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
          Dang, tatertot, you figured out my username. Now I have to change it. MikeOscarRomeoOscarNovember is too cumbersome. Ideas?
          Haha my drill sergeant tried all those in basic. Lucky for my I got picked on mercilessly in school so I'm super suspicious and he found some lower ASVAB scores to pick on.

Comment

• Here's the link to Free The Animal guest blog I did on my AM Gut results, if anyone is interested...
            Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Is there a particular brand of plantain flour that is better than any other? I'm going to order some from Amazon, but can't figure out what to get.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                Here's the link to Free The Animal guest blog I did on my AM Gut results, if anyone is interested...
                Yes, thanks. Your poor wife!

Comment

• Originally posted by jammies View Post
                  Is there a particular brand of plantain flour that is better than any other? I'm going to order some from Amazon, but can't figure out what to get.
                  i've been getting the plantain flour from Barry Farms, if you can't find them on Amazon--here's their website: Barry Farms
                  Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chupo View Post
                    Yes, thanks. Your poor wife!
                    she's been trying hard to get more RS. She's fairly lactose intolerant yet, so we've been mixing PS with applesauce, works really good! The plan is to retest her in the spring.
                    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by jammies View Post
                      Is there a particular brand of plantain flour that is better than any other? I'm going to order some from Amazon, but can't figure out what to get.
                      Thanks!! That's the one I have in my cart.

My doctor just prescribed a low dose of a sleeping pill - I wake very frequently all night long, although I am usually able to fall back asleep. Before starting it, I want to give RS a chance. I've always been a poor sleeper though, even before Paleo, so I'm not sure it's the issue.
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

• Tim, I was wondering: have you ever had any reports of people supplementing RS who sleep better, yet shorter?
                        I haven't been consistent with adding potato starch so my experience is inconclusive, but I find that when I do, I sleep "deeper" yet sometimes, like this morning, I wake up before 5am and I'm good to go for the day. Not too sure what to make of it but thought to put it out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingPig View Post
                          Tim, I was wondering: have you ever had any reports of people supplementing RS who sleep better, yet shorter?
                          I haven't been consistent with adding potato starch so my experience is inconclusive, but I find that when I do, I sleep "deeper" yet sometimes, like this morning, I wake up before 5am and I'm good to go for the day. Not too sure what to make of it but thought to put it out there.
                          That is pretty much my dream outcome!! I'd love to feel good on less sleep every day. Do you find that your energy is still good all day with less sleep or do you poop out earlier or need a nap in the afternoon?

Comment

• @Tatertot, Impressive results. It's time for prominent VLCers who warn others against consuming RS to do what Brent Pottenger did and put up or shut up. Has Brent indicated any interest in trying RS since seeing the test reports?

Do you think applesauce adds any synergistic benefits to the RS, or does it just make it more palatable?
                            Last edited by Paleophil; 11-30-2013, 07:33 AM.
                            Originally posted by tatertot
                            Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
                            "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• I dried some green plantains in my dehydrator, and they are VERY dry. Like a saltine. I put cinnamon on them, but I think I'd like them better with salt, or seasoned salt. They're pretty good with cinnamon, but I think I'd like them better savory rather than "sweet" (although not very sweet with just cinnamon!)

Can I make my own plantain flour by drying, then blenderizing them? And does subsequent cooking with plantain flour destroy the RS, or am I safe to use it for pancakes, etc.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                                I dried some green plantains in my dehydrator, and they are VERY dry. Like a saltine. I put cinnamon on them, but I think I'd like them better with salt, or seasoned salt. They're pretty good with cinnamon, but I think I'd like them better savory rather than "sweet" (although not very sweet with just cinnamon!)

Can I make my own plantain flour by drying, then blenderizing them? And does subsequent cooking with plantain flour destroy the RS, or am I safe to use it for pancakes, etc.?
                                What temperature does your dehydrator reach? Mine goes up over 145°F.

Comment

Working...
                                X