Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jammies View Post
    I would really, really love to add lentils back to my diet. Would that be enough resistant starch without the potatoes?
    A serving of lentils a day would be a start in the RS department, but you should get much more than that.

Originally posted by endless View Post
    Two questions....

Anyone find the potato starch causing joint pain? I get achy if I eat potatoes but hoping the starch alone will be different. I'm achy today but have eaten both.

Also, what color should the inside of a green plantain be? I bought one to make chips out of, and the peel is green but the inside is very pale 'papaya' like color.
    Some very nightshade sensitive people seemed to have same probs with potato starch. Use plantain flour or make dried plantains if that's the case. Sometimes I see plantains with a pinkish hue, but mostly just white to off-white. As long as the peels aren't yellow or black they are fine.
    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• I've been eating a lot more lentils lately because they really seem to help my gut. Potatoes seem to help too. This thread explains a lot.

Are there any other good sources of resistant starch apart from potatoes, lentils and plantains (can't get plantains where I live)?

Comment

• Originally posted by poing View Post
        I've been eating a lot more lentils lately because they really seem to help my gut. Potatoes seem to help too. This thread explains a lot.

Are there any other good sources of resistant starch apart from potatoes, lentils and plantains (can't get plantains where I live)?
        Some tescos do actually sell them In there ethnic veg area.

From London England UK

Comment

• To retain the most resistant starch, should we cook lentils the way we do potatoes; ie., cook, refriderate overnight, and then eat cold?

I've been adding potato starch to my nutrition for some time now, but can't get Sweetie on board for it (only when I sneak it into something else.) We both like lentils, though, and that would be an easy addition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
            To retain the most resistant starch, should we cook lentils the way we do potatoes; ie., cook, refriderate overnight, and then eat cold?

I've been adding potato starch to my nutrition for some time now, but can't get Sweetie on board for it (only when I sneak it into something else.) We both like lentils, though, and that would be an easy addition.
            Cook, cool/freeze, then OK to reheat--you won't lose all that much, if any RS.

I sneak it in on my wife all the time, too. She's like our cat when we put medicine in it's food, though. She's always like, 'what's in this ice cream?'

Check back here next week. I did a guest post for Free The Animal that will change everybody's mind on potato starch. Should be up on Monday, i will put link here when it is.
            Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
              2 cups banana flour
              1 tsp salt
              1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter (!)
              1 tsp vanilla
              2 eggs
              Sweetener of choice to taste...I use molasses

Mix all together, whip eggs and add last. Also add nuts, coconut, whatever.

The 2 cups (32TBS) of plantain flour have approximately 160g RS (5g per TBS). If you divide the mixture into 32 equal size balls, you know the amount of RS you are eating.

Don't eat it all at once!
              Recette

Comment

• Someone has created an RS diet. I wonder if he's aware of these threads.

The Resistant Starch Diet: The Most Effective Diet for Weight Loss, Insulin Resistance and Optimum Health | Experimental Solutions For a Better Life.

Comment

• Ha HA -- You can't get anything past me!

Did you see this comment on the blog you linked:

Tatertot
                  • 5 months ago

I like it! You've done pretty good getting 30g/day!
                  Tatertot
                  I emailed the guy, but got no response, I'm pretty sure he knows about this thread, but maybe not.
                  Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• So what's your view on arrowroot starch? And if one cooks it first but eats it cold, does the RS get destroyed? I make a mean German pancake with arrowroot powder!
                    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                      Ha HA -- You can't get anything past me!

Did you see this comment on the blog you linked:

I emailed the guy, but got no response, I'm pretty sure he knows about this thread, but maybe not.
                      I see it now! Of course you would have come across it first! LOL! I think he's wrong about Bob's potato starch though. Isn't it raw? I thought that was the whole reason it contained so much RS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Muppet View Post
                        So what's your view on arrowroot starch? And if one cooks it first but eats it cold, does the RS get destroyed? I make a mean German pancake with arrowroot powder!
                        I'm thinking arrowroot starch is not a good source of RS if I remember correctly. I'll try to check a few sources, though.
                        Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chupo View Post
                          I see it now! Of course you would have come across it first! LOL! I think he's wrong about Bob's potato starch though. Isn't it raw? I thought that was the whole reason it contained so much RS.
                          I think the guy is mistaken, and is he really saying to cook the potato starch? I didn't see that when I visited the site several months ago...

But if you feel you arenít fully following the diet and could use more RS, you can take Bobís Red Mill Arrowroot Starch or Bobís Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch . My preferred source is arrowroot starch. The dosage would depend on how much resistant starch youíre getting from other sources. So it would range from a minimum of 5g of either potato or arrowroot starch to a maximum of 50g if you arenít getting any other RS in your diet. The potatoes and arrowroot used to create these starches are cooked first, so the flour can safely be eaten raw. Potato starch supposedly contains anywhere between 50-80% RS. I havenít seen much data on arrowroot starch, but based on subjective experience, it seems like it has a higher RS content than potato starch.
                          Here is a study I found just quick on arrowroot RS: This says that raw arrowroot (native starch) contains 2.12%RS by weight. When cooked and cooled 3 times, it's RS increases to 10.91% and cooked and cooled 5 times increases RS to 12.15%.

So, I would say in it's raw state it is a very poor source of RS, when cooked and cooled 3-5 times, it is still a very poor source.

The RS content of native starch, Novelose 330, modified starch 3 cycles, 15 minutes gelatinization period, and modified starch 5 cycles, 15 minutes gelatinization period were 2.12% (db), 20.80% (db), 10.91% (db), and 12.15% (db), respectively. It means that repeating autoclaving-cooling cycling could increase RS yield up to 6 times.
                          the Novelose 330 they compare it to is a manufactured RS made from corn...
                          Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• My first RS meal tonight: grilled, frozen, and grilled potatoes (with fish, salad and balsamic). We'll see how my gut treats it.

Comment

• Good to know about the arrow root! I was thinking of getting some after I'd read that.

I was thinking about how people report going into ketosis on only potatoes. I experienced this as well. Do you know if human intestines directly convert SCFA to ketones? Rabbits do this, apparently.

Ketogenesis from butyrate and acetate by the caecu... [Biochem J. 1972] - PubMed - NCBI

Comment

• Originally posted by Chupo View Post
                                Good to know about the arrow root! I was thinking of getting some after I'd read that.

I was thinking about how people report going into ketosis on only potatoes. I experienced this as well. Do you know if human intestines directly convert SCFA to ketones? Rabbits do this, apparently.

Ketogenesis from butyrate and acetate by the caecu... [Biochem J. 1972] - PubMed - NCBI
                                I think that is exactly what happens in man, too.
                                Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                                X