No announcement yet.

Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am still learning about starch, some people are starch resistant or intolerant and so all will be a problem, esp if cooked due to lack of enzymes - weak pancreas. Dr Gabriel Cousens mentions about starchaholics on one of his articles on grains - the psychological addictions and terrible symptoms one suffers when eating starch including cooked rice, and Norman W Walker also talks about starches in his books. I am tempted not to eat any right now - unless raw, I think enough raw fruit and veg every day, raw veg juicing should be enough for the intestines, raw nuts and seeds. One has to tailor the right foods for their individual system and weaknesses. I will keep an open mind for now and let my body due the talking in terms of improvement in health.

Comment

• I stumbled across this recipe on YouTube that made me think, hey I can resistant starch this:

TWICE BAKED BUBBLE AND SQUEEK JACKET POTATOES

Roast large potatoes. Half them and scoop out the flesh. Mash it with butter and allow the potatoes to cool (how long do you need to get maximum RS? Overnight?)

Shred cabbage and sauté in butter and a little water until tender.

Mix the cabbage with the mashed potatoes and spoon into the skins. Roast in the oven until hot and the tops are crispy and golden.

^original from Gordon Ramsey

What do you guys think? Would it work?

Comment

• I also stumbled across some bobs red mill tapioca starch in the commissary and thought, what the hell. I was going to order potato starch, but I think I remembered it mentioned here. If not, I can always use it to make gravy for Christmas mmm.

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
          I stumbled across this recipe on YouTube that made me think, hey I can resistant starch this:

Roast large potatoes. Half them and scoop out the flesh. Mash it with butter and allow the potatoes to cool (how long do you need to get maximum RS? Overnight?)

Shred cabbage and sauté in butter and a little water until tender.

Mix the cabbage with the mashed potatoes and spoon into the skins. Roast in the oven until hot and the tops are crispy and golden.

^original from Gordon Ramsey

What do you guys think? Would it work?
          Lol I saw that on his show.
          That series was crap, he's so embarrassing such a lame chef on tv.

I tried it without the cabbage , was nice
          , the skins on a baked potato are so nice , reminds me of baked potato skins filled with cheese & bacon @ TGI Fridays . I suppose u could throw a raw egg with the cabbage mix & will bake inside too.

From London England UK

Comment

• Aussielady, I am one of those people who is somewhat starch intolerant, and very glucose intolerant, but resistant starch is not a problem for me. It's completely different from what most people think of as "starch" and it seems to be helping me. It produces SCFAs in the cecum and colon, rather than glucose in the stomach and small intestine.

Rest assured that there is no widespread resistant-starch-aholic problem. I don't know of a single person who says something like "I can't stop eating these raw green plantains and raw potatoes," and if they did, the resulting excess fartage would put a stop to that overeating problem right quick. LOL

Yes, cooking starchy foods tends to make them more of a problem for me, probably in large part because it increases the glucose content.

Yes, individual tailoring is important and I am a prime example of that. My experience often differs with that of the crowd. For example, "safe starches" aren't safe for me. Even so, resistant starch is.

Check out Mark Sisson's most recent and most positive article on resistant starch. It's the safest safe starch.
            Last edited by Paleophil; 11-18-2013, 05:47 AM.
            Originally posted by tatertot
            Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
            "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• Originally posted by dancermom09 View Post
              On my list are glass noodles (tapioca) and silver noodles (mung bean). Going to try some Japanese hot pots with bone broth, appropriate veggies and grass fed beef.
              Thanks for this - I've just bought some mung bean noodles online. Can't wait for them to arrive...

Comment

• So can you eat mung bean noodles hot?
                Up to 3 tbs and loving it! Nice and regular now! Feeling more energy, vivid dreams
                Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

• I think you can eat them hot or cold. The Asian market was an experience. Found lots of versions of mung bean noodles, all about $2. Also found some interesting produce, a bunch of the little green plantains, a couple of white yams (aka lesser yams), a couple of yuca, the biggest avocado I have ever seen. All really cheap.

I've told my daughter about this and she's on the wagon. Told her about the recent study someone linked about high fat diets decreasing the good gut flora. We both think this is true for us. It seems like there is less I can eat all the time. And she has always had the occasional latte at Starbucks, now seems to have become lactose intolerant. Will be an interesting experiment for us.

Be careful using resistant starch as a thickener. It works REALLY well. I was making a mushroom sauce last night for some meat, added a tablespoon of potato starch disolved in water after I turned off the heat. It made mushroom pudding.

Comment

• Originally posted by aussielady954 View Post
                    I am still learning about starch, some people are starch resistant or intolerant .
                    Like Paleophil said, RS isn't a source of starch or carbs, it is strictly food for gut flora--it is digested as fat. If you try to get RS from real food only, you WILL have to eat a lot of carbs to do it, if you are carb intolerant, then the beauty of using potato starch is really apparent--food for gut flora without a large dose of carbs/starch.

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                    I stumbled across this recipe on YouTube that made me think, hey I can resistant starch this:

If you really want to RSify it, make it like it says but chill or freeze the potato over night, then when you get ready to eat it, let it cool down til it's just luke warm (110-120 degress or so) and add in a couple spoonfuls of potato starch.

I also stumbled across some bobs red mill tapioca starch in the commissary and thought, what the hell. I was going to order potato starch, but I think I remembered it mentioned here. If not, I can always use it to make gravy for Christmas mmm.
                    I'm on the fence about tapioca starch. In theory it should contain almost as much RS as potato starch, but in reality I don't think it does. Tapioca starch has to be processed differently than potato starch because raw cassava contains cyanide, I am afraid the processing removes the RS.

Originally posted by Muppet View Post
                    So can you eat mung bean noodles hot?
                    Up to 3 tbs and loving it! Nice and regular now! Feeling more energy, vivid dreams
                    They can be eaten hot. Mung Bean noodles are made of retrograded RS, so it will still be there when reheated. Put leftovers in the fridge and eat cold just to be sure. I had some this weekend that were made with mung bean and potato starch, that was the only two ingredients. They were excellent hot and cold. I can see getting used to them. Not sure of exact RS content, but as a way to broaden your horizon, they are great.

Originally posted by dancermom09 View Post
                    I think you can eat them hot or cold. The Asian market was an experience. Found lots of versions of mung bean noodles, all about $2. Also found some interesting produce, a bunch of the little green plantains, a couple of white yams (aka lesser yams), a couple of yuca, the biggest avocado I have ever seen. All really cheap.

Be careful using resistant starch as a thickener. It works REALLY well. I was making a mushroom sauce last night for some meat, added a tablespoon of potato starch disolved in water after I turned off the heat. It made mushroom pudding.
                    Love that veggie list--you are catching on! Another thing to look for is shiritake noodles, they are made from konjac, no RS but full of glocomanna, another great source of food for gut microbes.

Potato starch makes an EXCELLENT thickener. Just keep in mind, when it starts to thicken is when the RS is completely gone.
                    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I just noticed on RS food list that "roasted and cooled" potatoes have many, many times the RS as baked potatoes. What's the difference between roasting and baking when it comes to potatoes?

Comment

• Ok Tatertot you seem to know a lot about gut health. I am always working on mine and find it improving slowly but surely. I was wondering what else you do/recommend to keep our gut biosphere healthy? So far for me I am doing 4 tablespoons potato starch, kombucha, prescript assist probiotic (it's soil based), fermented cod liver oil, vit C, and magnesium. So what am I missing? I find this all fun and intriguing, considering I am the daughter of two MDs who has had over 20 rounds of antibiotics
                        Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
                          Lol I saw that on his show.
                          That series was crap, he's so embarrassing such a lame chef on tv.

I tried it without the cabbage , was nice
                          , the skins on a baked potato are so nice , reminds me of baked potato skins filled with cheese & bacon @ TGI Fridays . I suppose u could throw a raw egg with the cabbage mix & will bake inside too.

From London England UK
                          I know, he's such a crap actor and he's got that awkward pause almost like a half assed Christopher Walken. And his family is so quiet and awkward it actually makes it sort of terridorable.

I bet he gets so much shit for trying to clean up his image by putting kids around him.

Eggs made me think I need to add chorizo to this shit. And get an oven...

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                            If you really want to RSify it, make it like it says but chill or freeze the potato over night, then when you get ready to eat it, let it cool down til it's just luke warm (110-120 degress or so) and add in a couple spoonfuls of potato starch.

I'm on the fence about tapioca starch. In theory it should contain almost as much RS as potato starch, but in reality I don't think it does. Tapioca starch has to be processed differently than potato starch because raw cassava contains cyanide, I am afraid the processing removes the RS.
                            Awesome thanks for the advice.

Guess I'll be ordering potato starch then after all.

Two more quick questions. Does adding RS to things like mashed potatoes make them gummy? And does potato starch work well as a thickener without heating it too much?

Comment

• I'm having what one might consider normal amounts of gas for the introduction of a "new" food. I'm also constipated. Should the slower passage of this fiber speed up the colonization process? One would assume yes, but - I'm no scientist. As such, this constipation might actually lead to sooner digestive efficiency and less gas, right? And yes, now I'm boiling and refrigerating the potatoes for several hours before eating them...
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by dancermom09 View Post
                                I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I just noticed on RS food list that "roasted and cooled" potatoes have many, many times the RS as baked potatoes. What's the difference between roasting and baking when it comes to potatoes?
                                Roasting is done at higher heat and generally the potatoes would be cut up, giving more surface area. Baking potatoes is usually done whole, which basically steams the potato. The less water involved in the cooking, the more RS there will be. It's strange, I know. I wondered about that, too, when I saw it.

Originally posted by Muppet View Post
                                Ok Tatertot you seem to know a lot about gut health. I am always working on mine and find it improving slowly but surely. I was wondering what else you do/recommend to keep our gut biosphere healthy? So far for me I am doing 4 tablespoons potato starch, kombucha, prescript assist probiotic (it's soil based), fermented cod liver oil, vit C, and magnesium. So what am I missing? I find this all fun and intriguing, considering I am the daughter of two MDs who has had over 20 rounds of antibiotics
                                I love what you are doing, I do almost the exact same things. Maybe you already do these, too, but avoid vegetable oil and wheat at all costs. Lots of walking--30-60 minutes a day. Lots of anti-oxidant, polyphenol rich foods like berries, dark chocolate, colorful veggies--especially purple ones. Good herbs like ginseng, turmeric, basil, and that kind of stuff. Also, try mixing 1/2 - 1 TBS of psyllium husk with the potato starch. It contains mucilage which is good for the gut and also allows the potato starch to travel further along in the large intestine.

If you really want to kick gut health up a notch, start at the mouth. I 'oil pull' every day for 20 minutes with sesame oil. It is an ancient oral health procedure (aryuvedic) that removes pathogenic microbes from the mouth and possibly chelates mercury from old fillings...if you have bad teeth or dental problems at all, I'd highly recommend it.

Two more quick questions. Does adding RS to things like mashed potatoes make them gummy? And does potato starch work well as a thickener without heating it too much?
                                Not gummy, some call it grainy. Won't thicken at all until heated. I like it mixed with yogurt. I'll also mix it with sour cream and put it on a baked potato after potato has cooled quite a bit. You'll know when you get it too hot, it gets gummy really fast.

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                                I'm having what one might consider normal amounts of gas for the introduction of a "new" food. I'm also constipated. Should the slower passage of this fiber speed up the colonization process? One would assume yes, but - I'm no scientist. As such, this constipation might actually lead to sooner digestive efficiency and less gas, right? And yes, now I'm boiling and refrigerating the potatoes for several hours before eating them...
                                You really need to refrigerate them at least over night or 24 hours. I don't know what to say about your constipation. If it was me, I'd do 2-4TBS of potato starch mixed with yogurt once a day, fermented foods at every meal, some soil based probiotics, and all the other stuff like what Muppet said above.
                                Last edited by tatertot; 11-18-2013, 10:57 PM.
                                Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                                X