No announcement yet.

Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have started my potato starch expirament. I took one tablespoon yesterday. No gas or problems so I am assuming I have some good gut flora...maybe...I will move up to 2 tablespoons today
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Muppet View Post
      I have started my potato starch expirament. I took one tablespoon yesterday. No gas or problems so I am assuming I have some good gut flora...maybe...I will move up to 2 tablespoons today
      Is there a guidelines , instructions (links) to follow when adding potato starch ?
      I am thinking about introducing next week

From London England UK

Comment

I have started my potato starch experiment. I took one tablespoon yesterday. No gas or problems so I am assuming I have some good gut flora...maybe...I will move up to 2 tablespoons today
        I wouldn't go over 2TBS for a couple weeks. It takes about 3-4 weeks for your gut flora to fully adapt. Also, no need to ever go over 4TBS a day.

Originally posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
        Is there a guidelines , instructions (links) to follow when adding potato starch ?
        I am thinking about introducing next week
        Go HERE and poke around...if you just one to go to one place, look Prepare for the "Resistant Starch" Assimilation; Resistance is Futile | Free The Animal. We have been playing with potato starch on Free The Animal for nearly a year now. A few people have trouble with it--people with serious gut problems. If you find yourself gassy or bloated after 1-2TBS, you do not have the gut flora that you are supposed to have. It could have been destroyed with antibiotics or just pushed out by bad bacteria due to a diet low in starchy fibers.

The guidelines are simple: Make sure you are using Unmodified Potato Starch, take it raw (not heated), start with 1-2TBS a day and work your way up to 3-4TBS a day over a month or so.

Once you have worked up to 4TBS, stick with it for a couple weeks. After that, if everything is working as it should (bowel movements normal, gas normal, etc...) you don't need to be so strict about it. Maybe like a week with no potato starch, but toms of RS rich foods, some days none, some days 4TBS, just make sure to keep a bag of potato starch handy and use it pretty regular. Your guts can adapt to a short term deficit in RS, but not long-term starvation.

I wrote a brief article about it HERE why you need RS, if you are interested.

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
        Haha well I guess the Hump hasn't changed much then. Thanks for the links. I will read them when I should be sleeping! Good to know this sort of stuff can be fixed.
        When I was there the Juicy Girls were all locals, nicest young girls you'd ever want to meet--not hookers or super trampy, just mostly poor farm girls trying to make some money for their families with a bit of dignity. I learned a lot about fermented food, kimchee, and other neat stuff from the many friends I made there. I hear now it's all human-trafficked Eastern European's in the bars--what a shame.
        Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• If someone gets too much gas and bloating with 1 TBS, couldn't they try cutting it to 1/2 TBS until adapted, or should they try probiotics alone first?
          Last edited by Paleophil; 11-14-2013, 04:35 PM.
          Originally posted by tatertot
          Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
          "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• I've been using RS for about 2 weeks after reading everything on Free The Animal. Just wanted to share my results. I've been battling stubbornly high FBS for a while now, nothing I've done has helped until this. I've gone from an average morning reading of 6.4-6.9 to 5.0-5.5 from taking 2 tbsp of potato starch in the evening.

A little gas to start with, nothing too intense. TMI has been amazing, solid 4 every day. I'm pretty impressed. Been soaking and cooking legumes in bone broth, then freezing them. I plan to use either the potato starch, cold cooked legumes, shiritaki noodles and plantain flour every day unless someone can tell me a good reason not to!

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
              When I was there the Juicy Girls were all locals, nicest young girls you'd ever want to meet--not hookers or super trampy, just mostly poor farm girls trying to make some money for their families with a bit of dignity. I learned a lot about fermented food, kimchee, and other neat stuff from the many friends I made there. I hear now it's all human-trafficked Eastern European's in the bars--what a shame.
              Not gonna lie I mostly stick to a local bar where I'm friends with the owner, and there are no Juicies. Most of them are definitely Asian, with a lot of SE Asian and Philippinas, but they're still pretty nice if you're in on karaoke night. I was up at Casey recently though... Yikes!

Comment

• [QUOTE=tatertot;1362431]I wouldn't go over 2TBS for a couple weeks. It takes about 3-4 weeks for your gut flora to fully adapt. Also, no need to ever go over 4TBS a day.

So @Tatertot should I stay at 2 tablespoons for two weeks before upping my dose. I did 2 tablespoons yesterday and had no symptoms at all. I was going to up again but I can always take it slower if that is the recommendation...
                Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleophil View Post
                  If someone gets too much gas and bloating with 1 TBS, couldn't they try cutting it to 1/2 TBS until adapted, or should they try probiotics alone first?
                  yeah, sure. It's a learning experience. I just hate to see people give up too soon because they get gassy. However, if the right bugs aren't there--RS won't put them there.

Originally posted by endless View Post
                  I've been using RS for about 2 weeks after reading everything on Free The Animal. Just wanted to share my results. I've been battling stubbornly high FBS for a while now, nothing I've done has helped until this. I've gone from an average morning reading of 6.4-6.9 to 5.0-5.5 from taking 2 tbsp of potato starch in the evening.

A little gas to start with, nothing too intense. TMI has been amazing, solid 4 every day. I'm pretty impressed. Been soaking and cooking legumes in bone broth, then freezing them. I plan to use either the potato starch, cold cooked legumes, shiritaki noodles and plantain flour every day unless someone can tell me a good reason not to!
                  You are seeing almost exactly what probably 90% of everyone sees. Glad to hear it. As to the everyday thing--I'll be the last to talk you out of it. I try to get 20-40g of RS every day, either from food or potato starch if I didn't get much RS food that day. Have you tried the home made dried plantains? They make awesome, easy snacks.

[QUOTE=Muppet;1362959]
                  Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                  I wouldn't go over 2TBS for a couple weeks. It takes about 3-4 weeks for your gut flora to fully adapt. Also, no need to ever go over 4TBS a day.

So @Tatertot should I stay at 2 tablespoons for two weeks before upping my dose. I did 2 tablespoons yesterday and had no symptoms at all. I was going to up again but I can always take it slower if that is the recommendation...
                  It's really up to you. When I first started, I didn't know what to expect. I figured I'd go for the max dose right away and see if it killed me or made me really sick. I took 4-6TBS a day for a month. Had some amazing orchestra-like farting after about 2 weeks, that went away after a couple weeks. Other than that, no prob. I like to tell people to start slow in case they are the lucky few who can't digest RS and end up bloated and feeling bad. If that happens, start slow and add tons of probiotics (pills or food or both).
                  Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• I have done a few days of 3-4 T in yogurt. It pretty well disappears in the yogurt. Maybe the yogurt gives that nice probiotic enhancement? A bit more flatulence than usual, but nothing dramatic

Comment

• Recipe for homemade plantain

From London England UK

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
                        Recipe for homemade plantain

From London England UK
                        If that is a recipe request, here goes:

Use large green plantains with no hint of yellow and minimal black.

To peel, cut off the tips, slice in half crosswise and lengthwise.

At this point, you should be able to 'roll' the meat out of the peels.

Thinly slice each quarter section, lengthwise, as thinly as possible with a sharp knife. You will end up with 2-3 tongue-shaped slices from each quarter section. Hope that makes sense.

Lay the slices on a lightly greased cookie sheet, screen, or roasting rack of some sort. If you want to flavor them (highly recommended) do it now while they are a bit damp--I use salt, cinnamon, or pepper.

Try to get air flow all around the slices. A dehydrator works even better. Don't be tempted to use your oven--it will get too hot. They need to be kept below 120 degrees or the RS will cook out. If you use a screen or cookie tray, put a fan on them to speed it up. Place in direct sunlight or a well-ventillated, warm spot. Drying will take 12-24 hours roughly.

Once they are bone dry, you can store them for quite a while. Use them like saltine crackers with cheese, pate, salmon, etc... or just munch plain.

Each Plantain yields about 50g of RS, a good 2 day supply.
                        Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Tatertot - I have been reading your comments on freetheanimal and I see recently you have quoted some studies that show 10-20 grams of RS might be good. So I am confused. Well I am easily confused! Should we build up to 4 tablespoons for awhile and then do no maintenance dose at 2 tablespoons? Thanks for all your research!

Comment

Tatertot - I have been reading your comments on freetheanimal and I see recently you have quoted some studies that show 10-20 grams of RS might be good. So I am confused. Well I am easily confused! Should we build up to 4 tablespoons for awhile and then do no maintenance dose at 2 tablespoons? Thanks for all your research!
                            There are no real guidelines. In every study that looked at it, they found that nobody could process much over 40g at one time. Anything over that amount gets passed out undigested. So there is no reason to ever take more than 40g (roughly 4TBS) at one time.

Also, the average intake for people on westernized diets is about 5g per day, and that is not enough to do any real maintenance of gut flora.

I like to try to get 40g of RS from all sources most days. If I'm eating a lot of dried plantains, beans, and potatoes, then I figure I'm good to go. On days when I maybe only have a green salad and a serving of rice, I will take 4TBS of potato starch.

I really don't have a definitive answer, but I am pretty confident that we should try to get 20-40g per day from all sources. I just look at it as keeping gut microbes gainfully employed while attempting to get the RS as far into the large intestine as possible.

If you were to just eat very small amounts, like found on SAD, the RS gets burned up very fast as soon as it hits the large intestine. When you eat a whole bunch at once, it floods the intestine, forcing fermentation further down the path.

One study I saw mixed psyllium husk with potato starch and found that combination to be more beneficial than either alone. So, I do that, too, sometimes. The psyllium holds lots of water and the fast burning potato starch allows the psyllium to travel even further than it normally would. Psyllium is not RS, but mucilage--a different type, but equally important prebiotic.

Hope that helps! Bottom line--eat a lot of RS, but anything over 40g at one time is wasted.
                            Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Just started adding some RS to my diet and so far seeing some benefits. I mix some PS and kefir before bedtime and it has really helped my sleep. Also doing one tbsp of RS earlier in the day. So far, still fermenting down there.

Where are you guys getting your plantain/green banana flour? The ones I have seen include preservatives and yellow dye, no thanks.

We have a large Asian market in my town, and I'm going hunting/gathering there tomorrow. Maybe will find some plantain flour. On my list are glass noodles (tapioca) and silver noodles (mung bean). Going to try some Japanese hot pots with bone broth, appropriate veggies and grass fed beef.

Comment

• Originally posted by dancermom09 View Post
                                Just started adding some RS to my diet and so far seeing some benefits. I mix some PS and kefir before bedtime and it has really helped my sleep. Also doing one tbsp of RS earlier in the day. So far, still fermenting down there.

Where are you guys getting your plantain/green banana flour? The ones I have seen include preservatives and yellow dye, no thanks.

We have a large Asian market in my town, and I'm going hunting/gathering there tomorrow. Maybe will find some plantain flour. On my list are glass noodles (tapioca) and silver noodles (mung bean). Going to try some Japanese hot pots with bone broth, appropriate veggies and grass fed beef.
                                It's fun exploring the RS foods, huh? Mung bean noodles are an EXTREMELY good source of RS, even cooked and eaten hot. Tapioca noodles are just so-so. I wish I could find mung bean starch, I'd try that straight, too.

Here's where I bought Plantain Flour. I found it on Amazon a while back, but don't see it there now.
                                Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                                X