Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
    They way practically everything healthy for us has been linked to RS these days, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a link.
    What made me think of a possible connection is that type-2 diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in adults, and resistant starch apparently lowers blood sugar levels, which is the opposite of diabetes.

Comment

• Originally posted by LindyCG View Post
      Haha, just wait until you're studying for the bar exam. I would literally run through my outlines in my dreams - I think I learned wills, trusts, and estates that way. I shudder to think what those dreams would have been like if I'd taken some potato starch before bed.
      Try magnesium chloride oil all over your body before bed. You'll be having some whacked out dream states for sure. For ultimate dream whackiness try: 1-2 cups of yerba mate about two hours before bed (yerba increases rem sleep and dream acuity and responsiveness), take your dose of RS moments before hitting the sack, and slather a TON of magnesium chloride over your body. I did this for a week and realized the main culprit was the magnesium here but it got so weird I had to begin spacing them out a bit more. Not to mention that mate is a very legit source of magnesium, so...
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

• Originally posted by maurile View Post
        I'm 44, and a few months ago noticed that I've needed to hold small print away from my face in order to read it. More recently, after going on a resistant starch kick (along with other prebiotics and probiotics), I've noticed that the effect has subsided. After getting worse, my close-up vision has started to get better again.

Is there any reason to suspect that the resistant starch has had something to do with the improvement?
        Well, I was going to go to the eye doc because my left eye was getting so off (am very near-sighted and have bad astigmatism) but it has gone back to sharp again. I started RS a few weeks ago, but have also started taking Great Lakes gelatin and have dropped a bunch of supps, so who knows? Ain't nutrition fun?
        Last edited by Energy!; 04-28-2014, 02:03 PM.
        Late 50s, post-menopausal, low carb with some dairy, following the 5 Leptin Rules, taking ThyroGold, eating lots o' fiber and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

What made me think of a possible connection is that type-2 diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in adults, and resistant starch apparently lowers blood sugar levels, which is the opposite of diabetes.
          Interesting point. I had been experiencing increasing thirst over the last two or three years, and was always having to sip water all day long while everyone around me can go for hours without a drink. Since starting RS and losing hypoglycemic symptoms, my thirst level has gone down quite a bit and it doesn't feel so urgent. Now one or more of the extra thermoses I carry around when driving often go untouched, which is awesome.

If anyone is interested, here is a good explanation of why high BG causes excessive thirst. I have never been diagnosed or even warned about a possibility of getting diabetes but it runs in the family and it has been clear to me for years that I'm at risk for it.
          Late 50s, post-menopausal, low carb with some dairy, following the 5 Leptin Rules, taking ThyroGold, eating lots o' fiber and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

Well then, you could make the same claims about iodine, magnesium, chromium, alpha lipoic acid, insoluble fiber, green tea, yerba mate, coffee, hell, even SUGAR, all of which have scientific studies behind them linked to increased insulin sensitivity and reduced risk of diabetes and related complications.

I'm optimistic about RS for sure, but I am reading about several people who had some potentially DANGEROUS side effects from it as well, so I'm definitely monitoring myself CLOSELY and I am also following the research as it develops. I'm not about to write this one off as "all good" just because a few people on an Internet forum have decided this stuff is like the best thing ever.

I don't want this to turn into another "MOAR iodine" thread either (although iodine does have it's place in the medicine and supplement cabinets of many).

In fact, I think it was the zealousness with which it was pushed that caused many to turn a blind eye to the potential legitimate and even necessary uses of iodine. I would hate it if people started getting the same feeling about RS.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

• Resistant Starches

No more vivid dreams for me kthx.

@lindy... Yayyy more to look forward to.
              JOURNAL..
              @BabesWithBBQ.
              Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
              Professional Style Website.
              #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Well then, you could make the same claims about iodine, magnesium, chromium, alpha lipoic acid, insoluble fiber, green tea, yerba mate, coffee, hell, even SUGAR, all of which have scientific studies behind them linked to increased insulin sensitivity and reduced risk of diabetes and related complications.
                Except that I didn't notice the effect after I started going any of those things. I noticed it after I started doing resistant starch.

Comment

Except that I didn't notice the effect after I started going any of those things. I noticed it after I started doing resistant starch.
                  How many of those things did you ACTUALLY start?

Besides, there are still a bajillion confounding factors to sort through here. This is still extremely new stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by TQP View Post
                    Omg! My mom/siblings ate this ball of dark brown/grayish dough thing once. Apparently it is common in my mom's home region in china to eat it. I think it was made from buckwheat.

----
                    Came here to blame RS for the most vivid freakout dream session of law school studying ever this early morning. I had to overcome all sorts of obstacles to get on the metro to go home and study. It was so Asian...

I am assuming everyone else liked their vivid dreams whereas i dreamt about real life stress. Yay! Lol.

(For dinner I had potato+pea+turkey curry using the aloo gobi sauce, thickened with raw ps and gelatin after it was cooked. The rice was reheated so maybe also some RS there...yummy food though)
                    A friend of mine laughs that in my haste to find ways of ingesting RS, I invented two foods that have been around for thousands of years: Horchata, a raw starch, cold drink full of tiger nut starch, and fufu, a cold doughball eaten in Africa since forever.

I was just on this Livin' La Vida Low Carb Show Podcast about RS and we talked a lot about dreams about 50 minutes into it.
                    Last edited by tatertot; 04-28-2014, 03:49 PM.
                    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

How many of those things did you ACTUALLY start?

Besides, there are still a bajillion confounding factors to sort through here. This is still extremely new stuff.
                      I try to tell people to expect no more than when taking fish oil or Vit D. It's good for you, but there is no real magic.
                      Find me on Facebook!

Comment

I'm 44, and a few months ago noticed that I've needed to hold small print away from my face in order to read it. More recently, after going on a resistant starch kick (along with other prebiotics and probiotics), I've noticed that the effect has subsided. After getting worse, my close-up vision has started to get better again.

Is there any reason to suspect that the resistant starch has had something to do with the improvement?
                        Yes, I wrote about my own vision improvement (mostly in night vision, but also myopia) since using raw mung bean starch a ways back in the thread. You're the first other person I've seen report it. I see that Energy! also reported vision improvement. Interesting.

Unfortunately, I've also noticed that my vision tends to worsen again if I consume significant amounts of alcohol, cooked starch, or glucose-rich foods; especially if I don't keep my consumption of prebiotic foods up. There are multiple variables at play and it's early on since I noticed the vision changes, so I'm not drawing any conclusions yet.

I'm definitely not implying that a vision link is proven or that RS or any other single thing is a panacea or any such thing. Just sharing my experience, good, bad and ugly, and am curious about other folks' experiences and knowledge. Anything can be taken to extremes and RS is no exception to that.

By coincidence I recently bought my first bag of fufu from a local African market. Haven't tried it yet. I read about it years ago and recognized it when I saw it and have long been curious to try it.
                        Last edited by Paleophil; 04-28-2014, 04:46 PM.
                        Originally posted by tatertot
                        Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
                        "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• Wait a minute! Alcohol makes your vision blurry!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Who'd a thunk it!
                          What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

• LOL, I mean even relatively small amounts, of course. I'm not talking major league binges. Surely not everyone gets big halos around lights and, at its worst, some double vision at night from a couple drinks or cooked starchy foods? At any rate, I'm testing it out and thus avoiding alcohol completely for now, dialing back on the cooked starches, and dialing back up on the raw starchy foods and so far my vision is gradually improving again.

BTW, Please no one mistake my reports as criticisms of alcohol, cooked starch or glucose-rich foods. I know very well that many people tolerate or even thrive on moderate amounts of them. I'm not implying that my experience applies to anyone else and I have no hatred/fear of or strong allegiance to any particular food. I'm just trying to figure out what works best for me. For example, I would be quite happy to eat lots of fruit and am hoping that my carb tolerance improves further in the future. No fruit or starch phobia here. For now, I'm just happy that my BG doesn't spike nearly as much as it used to after a modest amount of food rich in cooked starch or glucose. The vision thing does have me a bit concerned, though. Which reminds me that I'm overdue for an eye exam.
                            Last edited by Paleophil; 04-28-2014, 05:07 PM.
                            "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

• I wonder if vision changes (and some other changes such as easier breathing) could be related to reduced inflammation?

Comment

• It's one possible factor. There are a number of possibilities and multiple variables, so it's difficult to know which if any applies.

I'm definitely also keeping an eye out for any negative effects from raw starches too, not just cooked, and and I am also following the research, both bad and good, as it develops. I had a small amount of occasional "popping" in one of my kneecaps act up recently, (oddly enough, it's not the knee that used to chronically pop--that one hasn't popped at all since I increased my intake of prebiotic foods, so it could be completely random), and I'm keeping an eye out for any possible connections between RS and any negative effects. I also go some days without any significant RS or other prebiotic plant foods.

Speaking of side effects, in the TMI area, the fartage I used to get from bigger doses of RS-rich foods is nearly completely gone, even at occasional fairly substantial intakes.
                                Last edited by Paleophil; 04-28-2014, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X