Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
    So I have been doing 4 Tbs/day of RS for a couple of months now, going through several bags of Bobs Red Mill PS. Encountered the typical gas issues at the start, but now that has almost completely gone away.

Question: does the absence of gas production imply the RS is no longer being fermented? Having been a home beer brewer for many years, that is what it means with most fermentations. I suppose its possible that the gut microbes have adapted, and perhaps there are new species that have taken over and are able to ingest the RS w/o producing gas?
    Ideally, different species of gut bugs consume each other's waste products such as methane (which is a very good thing.) No worries.
    Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by gdot View Post
      By the way - Unheated Potato Starch: GI - ???????????? Perhaps someone will chime in here - I know it's exceedingly low - but don't have the number at hand.
      You won't see it listed in any official GI list because it's not a food item (yet). But GI is probably 0-10 range.

Originally posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
      Question: does the absence of gas production imply the RS is no longer being fermented? Having been a home beer brewer for many years, that is what it means with most fermentations. I suppose its possible that the gut microbes have adapted, and perhaps there are new species that have taken over and are able to ingest the RS w/o producing gas?
      It means you have a very diverse set of gut bugs! There are several species of 'gas eaters' known as methanogens and sulfur reducing bacteria. A truly diverse, healthy gut should not produce smelly gas after eating. Some airy gas is normal, but all the foul smelling chemicals should get reduced by gut bugs before they see 'light of day.'

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
      It's nice to see the brain/gut connection being discussed in mainstream media. I think it could help a lot of people. I wish some of my family members would read it. I have a nephew, now in his mid twenties who is bipolar. As a child he had the worst diet, for a while he would only eat white foods.
      I saw a clip that Leonard Nimoy is hosting a new gut microbe series starting next month.

Originally posted by TQP View Post
      For you bean advocates, I found this RS-friendly red velvet brownie recipe.
      Dude! Thanks. These look awesome!

I made a creation yesterday: Half a jar of liquified/room temp coconut oil, 1 cup potato starch, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, handful of oats, handful of coconut flakes, stevia to sweeten.

Mixed and poured into non-stick muffin pans and put in freezer, when froze, I popped them out and put in a baggy in the fridge. They are like little RS crack rocks.

Combinations endless.
      Last edited by tatertot; 04-26-2014, 03:47 PM.
      Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post
        Mixed and poured into non-stick muffin pans and put in freezer, when froze, I pooped them out and put in a baggy in the fridge.
        Freudian Slip?
        Click here for my hiking and backpacking Youtube Channel

Comment

Freudian Slip?
          Excellent!
          Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

Freudian Slip?
            Can't believe I did that. How funny!
            Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• still chuckling here. just toooooooooo perfect!
              What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Can't believe I did that. How funny!
                That was pretty classic. I just hoping the subject of fecal transplants wasn't right around the corner!
                Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• tatter,your thoughts on plantain flour,cocoyam flour and yam flour?you can buy them in afro-caribbean shops here in uk.thank you

Attached Files

Comment

• So fufu must mean flour? I have seen plantain fufu in a shop in Brighton but didn't buy it as I assumed it was some processed product that probably had all sorts of additives!!

Comment

• Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                      So fufu must mean flour? I have seen plantain fufu in a shop in Brighton but didn't buy it as I assumed it was some processed product that probably had all sorts of additives!!
                      Not quite...

Fufu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

• Omg! My mom/siblings ate this ball of dark brown/grayish dough thing once. Apparently it is common in my mom's home region in china to eat it. I think it was made from buckwheat.

----
                        Came here to blame RS for the most vivid freakout dream session of law school studying ever this early morning. I had to overcome all sorts of obstacles to get on the metro to go home and study. It was so Asian...

I am assuming everyone else liked their vivid dreams whereas i dreamt about real life stress. Yay! Lol.

(For dinner I had potato+pea+turkey curry using the aloo gobi sauce, thickened with raw ps and gelatin after it was cooked. The rice was reheated so maybe also some RS there...yummy food though)
                        JOURNAL..
                        @BabesWithBBQ.
                        Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                        Professional Style Website.
                        #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

I saw a clip that Leonard Nimoy is hosting a new gut microbe series starting next month.
                          I just watched the first 10 minutes of the video, it's really great!
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• I'm 44, and a few months ago noticed that I've needed to hold small print away from my face in order to read it. More recently, after going on a resistant starch kick (along with other prebiotics and probiotics), I've noticed that the effect has subsided. After getting worse, my close-up vision has started to get better again.

Is there any reason to suspect that the resistant starch has had something to do with the improvement?

Comment

• Originally posted by maurile View Post
                              I'm 44, and a few months ago noticed that I've needed to hold small print away from my face in order to read it. More recently, after going on a resistant starch kick (along with other prebiotics and probiotics), I've noticed that the effect has subsided. After getting worse, my close-up vision has started to get better again.

Is there any reason to suspect that the resistant starch has had something to do with the improvement?
                              They way practically everything healthy for us has been linked to RS these days, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a link.

[/Don'tKillMeGaiz]
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

• Originally posted by TQP View Post
                                Omg! My mom/siblings ate this ball of dark brown/grayish dough thing once. Apparently it is common in my mom's home region in china to eat it. I think it was made from buckwheat.

----
                                Came here to blame RS for the most vivid freakout dream session of law school studying ever this early morning. I had to overcome all sorts of obstacles to get on the metro to go home and study. It was so Asian...

I am assuming everyone else liked their vivid dreams whereas i dreamt about real life stress. Yay! Lol.

(For dinner I had potato+pea+turkey curry using the aloo gobi sauce, thickened with raw ps and gelatin after it was cooked. The rice was reheated so maybe also some RS there...yummy food though)
                                Haha, just wait until you're studying for the bar exam. I would literally run through my outlines in my dreams - I think I learned wills, trusts, and estates that way. I shudder to think what those dreams would have been like if I'd taken some potato starch before bed.

Comment

Working...
                                X