• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
    Recipe for cookie dough, please?
    Ty
    I

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

I just used a general chocolate chip cookie recipe and replaced the flour with green banana flour. I used 'Enjoy Life' chocolate chips and some chopped walnuts, and froze balls of it. Really tasty way to get a dose of RS :-)

Comment

• Thanks! Sounds yummy!
      You don't cook them, right?
      K

Comment

• Nope....I roll them into balls and stick them in the freezer. I figured out the amount of RS per ball, I think it was 6g for the batch I made.

Comment

• Which brand of banana flour do you use/recommend? I was just looking online at those today.
          Thx
          K

Comment

• Originally posted by Mutton View Post
            I'm wondering about resistant starches effects on blood sugar;
            I understand you get nutrition/energy when the resistant starch is broken down by microbes a considerable time after eating.
            I assume this levels out your blood sugars and spreads the meal for longer.
            I would think this is normally a good thing, ie for energy levels and satiety.
            Except, sometimes you don't want to have sugar in your blood? I.e. when fasting to increase lysosomal action or to induce ketosis? Would RS consumption mean you needed to fast twice as long to get the benefit?

Apologies if this is a dumb/already answered question, but this is a long thread and a massive topic!
            This is a doozy of a question, usually I get 'how much RS in an apple?'. Hey, go check out SuperStarch. It's RS marketed as a sports drink, they are into the stuff you wonder about, maybe you'd have better luck getting an answer there. Let us know if you find something really awesome.

Originally posted by hebsie View Post
            ...it's hard to google, but from memory I 'seem' to think that freezing bananas is maybe not the ideal scenario (for RS). Something about the quick freeze, cellular damage, starch turning to glucose, ??? Perhaps somebody knows more about this...hebs
            Freezing is OK for RS. Won't hurt it. It will make them mushy and all, but that's the plant cell walls and fibers--not the starch and inulin.

Originally posted by kmarie View Post
            Which brand of banana flour do you use/recommend? I was just looking online at those today.
            Thx
            K

I like Wedo gluten free. I've also used Barry Farms plantain flour. The Wedo stuff is a bit tastier. Don't tell anyone I said this, but it makes awesome pancakes, too.
            Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• tatertot, when using the the Wedo Gluten Free Banana Flour for the awesome pancakes, don't you nullify the RS in it?

Is there any plus in using the Wedo Gluten Free Banana Flour over Bob's Red Mill PS?
              “Let no barrier you face stop you from acting to optimal.” Dr. Jack Kruse

"People who lack the clarity, courage, or determination to follow their own dreams will often find ways to discourage yours. When you change for the better, the people around you will be inspired to change also….but only after doing their best to make you stop." Dr. Jack Kruse

Comment

• I bought Barry Farms :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Eureka5280 View Post
                  I'm not positive but I believe your gut flora will digest the RS into butyrate, which enters your blood stream as a fatty acid, not blood glucose. Shouldn't impact ketosis at all, not sure about the lysosomal action or autophagy or anything related to a pure fasted state.
                  "Ingestion of a low-glycemic HMS before prolonged cycling exercise blunted the initial spike in serum glucose and insulin and increased the breakdown in fat compared with MAL." - From UCAN (courtesy of tatertot), comparing a resistant starch energy formula with a simple sugar based one.

Which would seem to indicate ketosis is happening, I think...

I've emailed them my question, hopefully will hear back soon ; )

it makes awesome pancakes
                  How about banana bread?
                  Last edited by Mutton; 04-16-2014, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• Mutton, you might want to read here: Introduction to Superstarch

Dr. Peter Attia is probably the #1 guru on ketosis on the 'webs. He's very sciency, I like that!

Comment

• Hi All,

Hoping to add plantains to my RS regime. Could you add your Plantain cooking tips and tricks to the PHD recipe thread below? Thanks.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread105867.html
                      Primal since 9/24/2010
                      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I started PS on Saturday night. 1/2 teaspoon at night only. Three night of 1/2 t was ok so last night I had a full teaspoon. I've had very little gas up until now.

My sleep immediately improved. No big dreams on 1/2teaspoon but last night after having a teaspoon I had a funny visit from my parents and brother. Both parents died in 2004. Lovely to see them again. I'm quite curious what will happen when I graduate to a T dose at night!

Last night I roasted a plantain in a 300 degree oven. They aren't quite dried. Do they have RS this way? thanks!

Comment

• I believe to maintain RS in the plantains they should be dried at room temp or in oven under 130 degrees F. Idk how much RS is lost at that temp but I believe it's significant.
                          They are good just sliced, salted and dried out as well as chopped raw and put into smoothies
                          K

Comment

• Ps.... So nice about your sweet dreams, I love dreams like that
                            So far, mine are just like weird tv shoes, lots if detail and strange events but nothing sweet or exciting.
                            K

Comment

• Originally posted by Theta View Post
                              tatertot, when using the the Wedo Gluten Free Banana Flour for the awesome pancakes, don't you nullify the RS in it?

Is there any plus in using the Wedo Gluten Free Banana Flour over Bob's Red Mill PS?
                              I'm sure the pancakes have very little RS, but they are darn good! Would make great banana bread, too. Supposedly the Wedo guys are sending in samples of uncooked and cooked products to be tested for RS to see exactly what content they have.

For sheer RS power, Bob's PS beats everything hands-down. Banana flour, however, is more a real food, and also has inulin and FOS, two very good prebiotics not found in potatoes. Plus bananas are very nutritious in other ways and contribute to gut flora in more ways than plain PS. If you are looking to include more nutritious foods in your diet that also contribute to gut health, banana flour and dried plantains/green bananas are the way to go. If you already eat a well-balanced plant-heavy diet and just want more RS with your meals, PS is the way to go. I think the should both be incorporated ideally. Some people are dead-set against PS, that's cool, there is more than one way to feed gut bugs. Eating the SAD diet doesn't feed them, eating LC/VLC paleo doesn't feed them, and in fact, may feed them less than SAD.

Originally posted by calee View Post
                              Last night I roasted a plantain in a 300 degree oven. They aren't quite dried. Do they have RS this way? thanks!
                              No RS, or very little, still, good food. Hope you liked it. Hopefully one day someone will test all these different foods and their different cooking methods and we'll know exact RS contents. But, I'd say that adding plantains to your rotation of starches is a very wise move, even if not exactly RS powerhouses when cooked. Have you tried drying them? I dry out 5-6 at a time on a large screen rack with fan blowing on them, then eat them like crackers for a couple weeks.
                              Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Hey Tim,
                                If eating green bananas and plantains is adding in some Jarrow FOS/inulin powder overkill?
                                Is the FOS/ inulin more of a supplement if using the PS?
                                Thx
                                K

Comment

Working...
                                X