No announcement yet.

Resistant Starches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldn't eat bananas for a long time. I couldn't stand the sickeningly sweet smell of a ripe banana.
    I freeze then and use in smoothies for my kids and I started using them (frozen) myself during a whole 30. I switched to 1/2 plantain and now just do the plantain.
    K

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• I've never liked bananas......but I actually don't mind the green banana flour. Especially in frozen RS cookie dough balls!

Comment

• Recipe for cookie dough, please?
        Ty
        I

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• You guys ever hear of the movie Fat Head? The producer, Tom Naughton has moved on to RS.

FAT HEAD on RS
          Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Originally posted by sketchy View Post
            So I'm just joining the RS thread and have a quick question. It looks like resistant starch is good for those with a so called 'leaky gut' / food intolerances. My question is, would it be OK to get resistant starch from cooked and cooled potatoes in this scenario?

Keen to hear you guys' thoughts
            I'm doing my RS solely from food (cooked, cooled potatoes, cooked frozen rice, some soaked, cooked, cooled lentils, and a little bit of oats (cooked, frozen in homemade bread form and raw in 24 hour soaked oatmeal).

I have no idea what the RS content of this is, but I do know I have zero bad carbohydrate reactions (blood sugar or cravings), good energy (low carb is meh for me, moderate seems best), and a [happier] gut. I've also been doing soluble fiber from the oats, nuts, spinach, oranges, and a little psyllium in the bread. My gut couldn't handle the straight potato starch, but food it seems to like fine. Could be the amount, could be the "whole package," but the take away for me has been positive.

Omg I can't wait to see Tom (I think that's his name?)'s RS experiment. This is gonna be good. *grabs potato starch laced popcorn*

Comment

• Originally posted by tatertot View Post

Uncle Ben - Yes, I know that's you! Did you look at the study you linked? It's my favorite on the subject. Look at Fig 1 and notice the darkest colored, tallest bars. These are cooked and cooled rice. The rice that formed the bars in Fig 1 was cooled for 24hrs at 40 deg F or so. Now read that entire page. I can't cut and paste for some reason or I'd save you the trouble, but essentially it says that temp and time are very important with some rice getting as high as 27% RS. At any rate, no matter what the exact RS measurement ends up being, the very highest RS you can possibly get from rice will always be from a 'parboiled, cooked and frozen' methodology. Even reheating won't destroy it.
              You got me, I am indeed Uncle Ben!
              Thanks Tim, I did read it. So basically in this study they found RS in cooked and cooled parboiled rice is aroung 5g/100g, but they reference another study where it can go as high as 27% RS...in which case I wonder what the average Joe gets when he cooks and cools parboiled rice Anywhere between 5 and 27g per 100g it seems...I guess the answer is just eat cooked ad cooled par boiled rice, and don't stress the small stuff!

Comment

• I bought some mung bean fettuccini noodles the other day. I'm going to boil them tonight and reheat them tomorrow with peperoncini and olive oil. Hopefully they turn out okay! I have no idea how much RS that'll yield but it shouldn't be too low, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                  I couldn't eat bananas for a long time. I couldn't stand the sickeningly sweet smell of a ripe banana.
                  I freeze then and use in smoothies for my kids and I started using them (frozen) myself during a whole 30. I switched to 1/2 plantain and now just do the plantain.
                  K
                  I've been surprised to find that even the very green bananas have a little sweetness. I cut them into chunks, freeze them separated, then put them in a bag. Much easier than drying them. This morning I had semi-thawed green banana chunks, mac nuts, and cacao nibs with a sprinkle of stevia in whole plain yogurt. Plus some liver paté, an egg, chilled mung bean noodles, and my RS drink of mung bean starch, psyllium, and gelatin in water. Will have to try freezing some green plantain next.
                  Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

• I'm wondering about resistant starches effects on blood sugar;
                    I understand you get nutrition/energy when the resistant starch is broken down by microbes a considerable time after eating.
                    I assume this levels out your blood sugars and spreads the meal for longer.
                    I would think this is normally a good thing, ie for energy levels and satiety.
                    Except, sometimes you don't want to have sugar in your blood? I.e. when fasting to increase lysosomal action or to induce ketosis? Would RS consumption mean you needed to fast twice as long to get the benefit?

Apologies if this is a dumb/already answered question, but this is a long thread and a massive topic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mutton View Post
                      I'm wondering about resistant starches effects on blood sugar;
                      I understand you get nutrition/energy when the resistant starch is broken down by microbes a considerable time after eating.
                      Except, sometimes you don't want to have sugar in your blood? I.e. when fasting to increase lysosomal action or to induce ketosis? Would RS consumption mean you needed to fast twice as long to get the benefit?

Apologies if this is a dumb/already answered question, but this is a long thread and a massive topic!
                      Keen to hear more on this too. Given that RS isn't digested, does that mean it has no immediate impact on blood sugar ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Energy! View Post
                        I've been surprised to find that even the very green bananas have a little sweetness. I cut them into chunks, freeze them separated, then put them in a bag. Much easier than drying them. This morning I had semi-thawed green banana chunks, mac nuts, and cacao nibs with a sprinkle of stevia in whole plain yogurt. Plus some liver paté, an egg, chilled mung bean noodles, and my RS drink of mung bean starch, psyllium, and gelatin in water. Will have to try freezing some green plantain next.
                        ...it's hard to google, but from memory I 'seem' to think that freezing bananas is maybe not the ideal scenario (for RS). Something about the quick freeze, cellular damage, starch turning to glucose, ??? Perhaps somebody knows more about this...hebs

Comment

• Originally posted by sketchy View Post
                          Given that RS isn't digested, does that mean it has no immediate impact on blood sugar ?
                          In practice there are no 100% RS sources, so if one is trying to maintain flat BG I'd save it for mealtime.
                          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

• Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                            In practice there are no 100% RS sources, so if one is trying to maintain flat BG I'd save it for mealtime.
                            Mostly true. I mean RUMPS has eight grams of RS per tablespoon, but ten grams of carbs in the same amount. Those extra two grams gotta go somewhere...

But a tablespoon of RUMPS shouldn't effect a fast unless you're taking all four at once maybe.
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mutton View Post
                              I'm wondering about resistant starches effects on blood sugar;

I'm not positive but I believe your gut flora will digest the RS into butyrate, which enters your blood stream as a fatty acid, not blood glucose. Shouldn't impact ketosis at all, not sure about the lysosomal action or autophagy or anything related to a pure fasted state.
                              __________________________________________________ _____________________________
                              Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
                              End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Comment

• Resistant Starches

Last edited by endless; 04-15-2014, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X