Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really confused about calorie intake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Neckhammer's posts have been debunked time and time again. He makes ridiculous statements that are child's play to debunk and will never admit that he is wrong.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
      Neckhammer's posts have been debunked time and time again. He makes ridiculous statements that are child's play to debunk and will never admit that he is wrong.
      Sure thing, whatever helps you sleep at night. Go on and get back to OP's topic now if you please.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        Sure thing, whatever helps you sleep at night. Go on and get back to OP's topic now if you please.
        I've always been on topic here (unlike you) and I don't take orders from the likes of you.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

        Comment


        • #49
          Neckbeard strikes again
          Make America Great Again

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Phillykid View Post
            Hey guys, I'm fairly new to PB. It's been a couple days so far and I'm liking it a lot since I can enjoy better food. However, I'm really confused about calorie intake. In my other threads, I was told that I wasn't taking in enough calories. Here's a sample of what I eat and current weight/height.

            Height: 5"6
            Age: 24
            Weight: 135
            Body fat: roughly 20%
            Main goal: Not lose weight, just shed body fat at a fast pace, but healthy

            Breakfast: 6 large eggs (2 yolks) cooked with garlic
            Lunch: Big salad, 6 cherry tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, bacon bits (good amount, i love bacon), turkey bits, and 2 tblespoon olive oil.
            Snack: 25 almonds
            Dinner: Chicken breast with 1 cup spinach and 1 tbspn olive oil.

            I understand PB is a lifestyle and that I should focus on long-term, but honestly, I still want to lose body fat with fast results. I feel more energized and satisfied after I eat, but should I be eating more even though I want to lose fat at a faster pace? I do moderate body weight exercises 3x a week to build muscle as well.
            I didn't read this whole thread, but here's my opinion.

            1. I thought you were a girl when I read this. You eat like a girl on a diet.

            2. Your food contains too much "diet food" and not enough real food. Eat the whole egg. Don't buy egg whites in a carton. Eat bacon, not bacon bits. Eat actual turkey that you roasted in the oven, not turkey bits. Eat some beef and salmon, not just chicken breast. And for crying out loud, you actually count your cherry tomatoes? Stop doing that.

            3. You are a 135lb man who is 5'6" tall. You are way too small for a grown man. You need to build a manly body. You should get some manly exercise. Either do the Primal Blueprint fitness program or go lift some weights. Eat WAY more food so you can grow. Put on some weight as muscle. Whatever fat you have now can be ignored because it probably isn't very much. It's just that you have so little muscle to balance it out.

            Good luck.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

            Comment


            • #51
              The problem is, i'm still in college and on a budget. I'm trying to eat real food the best I can afford. I did actually starting eating all whole eggs and for dinner i eat 4 chicken thighs for more fat and protein.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                I haven't seen anyone promoting a diet with sugars as the only fuel source.

                So your statement is completely irrelevant.
                Hardly anyone eats a diet that is ONLY carbs. That would be very difficult. My conengention is that the body wants to maintain the status quo. If your status quo is to have a body adapted to sugar intake that's going to be its primary fuel source. You have to sort of train your body to want it to use fat as a fuel. And it doesn't take much icarbohydrate intake for your body to learn to prefer carbs as a fuel source.

                Again, you can lose on a high Carb diet, sure. I agree with that! But if you can do anything to help the process along and make it easier, such as becoming fat adapted, I fail to see why you wouldn't want to.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                Comment


                • #53
                  Yea I really want to see how adapted my body can get to using fat as fuel. I keep my carb intake at 50 grams, eating a lot of vegetables and some fruit. But one question, it's been a week since I've went primal and my fat intake is high, is it normal if I feel better than before, but my stomach is coming out a little more? My overall weight has gone down, but my gut comes out more after a high fat meal

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                    Hardly anyone eats a diet that is ONLY carbs. That would be very difficult. My conengention is that the body wants to maintain the status quo. If your status quo is to have a body adapted to sugar intake that's going to be its primary fuel source. You have to sort of train your body to want it to use fat as a fuel. And it doesn't take much icarbohydrate intake for your body to learn to prefer carbs as a fuel source.

                    Again, you can lose on a high Carb diet, sure. I agree with that! But if you can do anything to help the process along and make it easier, such as becoming fat adapted, I fail to see why you wouldn't want to.
                    There is no such thing as a body that wants to use fat as fuel. Carbs are its main fuel source first and always. Being in ketosis is a form of starvation and never a preferred state.

                    As for using it for fat loss, the main thing people lose is water weight and thats why low carb is so popular because you get the big woosh at the beginning. Sure you will lose fat but no faster then a diet with sufficient carbs AND with carbs you wont have all that nasty business like wrecked metabolism, adrenals and hormones.

                    Its actually quite easy to be on a high carb diet and lose fat. Just look at the potato diet, many people are reporting significant fat loss and no usual signs of calorie restriction like low energy, bad sleep, low libido, etc.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Zach View Post
                      There is no such thing as a body that wants to use fat as fuel....
                      Yes in the bodies infinite stupidity it chooses to store excess energy in a state that it would rather not utilize for energy. All human bodies "want" to burn fat as fuel. We carry around literally tens of thousands of calories worth of energy as fat for what reason? Its to utilize when energy is needed. What do you use for energy when you sleep? How about low level activity?

                      Its a mix. Your constantly burning both carbs and fat, but you can train a body to utilize energy more efficiently....training in a fasted state and eating low carb are known ways of doing such. This trains your body to utilize fat as fuel at higher intensities. Its the premise of train low race high.

                      As to the potato hack it actually may act like a backdoor hack to keep insulin very low allowing/requiring the mobilization of fat. Some interesting theories there.

                      FYI this is just a post on the fact that you will burn both....if you want to speak to "preference" i guess the body prefers alcohol. Its definitely the first thing utilized for energy even before carbs when its ingested.
                      Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-22-2012, 08:36 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Is it normal if my gut comes out more ever since i started eating more fat? My face seems like it's getting slimmer, but my stomach feels bloated. Is this just my body isn't used to the high fat intake?

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          ^ My gut comes out more after a meal too. Really one week isn't much time to try a new way of eating. Give it a month and re-evaluate.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Ok, I was getting the feeling I'm eating too much

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              Yes in the bodies infinite stupidity it chooses to store excess energy in a state that it would rather not utilize for energy. All human bodies "want" to burn fat as fuel. We carry around literally tens of thousands of calories worth of energy as fat for what reason? Its to utilize when energy is needed. What do you use for energy when you sleep? How about low level activity?

                              Its a mix. Your constantly burning both carbs and fat, but you can train a body to utilize energy more efficiently....training in a fasted state and eating low carb are known ways of doing such. This trains your body to utilize fat as fuel at higher intensities. Its the premise of train low race high.

                              As to the potato hack it actually may act like a backdoor hack to keep insulin very low allowing/requiring the mobilization of fat. Some interesting theories there.

                              FYI this is just a post on the fact that you will burn both....if you want to speak to "preference" i guess the body prefers alcohol. Its definitely the first thing utilized for energy even before carbs when its ingested.
                              Yep, alcohol is fuel número uno. By that reasoning I guess I need to be on the concentrated alcohol diet!

                              And yes, we have, and always will burn both fuels. Even people in ketosis burn glucose to some extent. That doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't look to optimizing out fat utilization to best be able to shed body fat if that is a goal.
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                                Yes in the bodies infinite stupidity it chooses to store excess energy in a state that it would rather not utilize for energy. All human bodies "want" to burn fat as fuel. We carry around literally tens of thousands of calories worth of energy as fat for what reason? Its to utilize when energy is needed. What do you use for energy when you sleep? How about low level activity?
                                I don't think fat stores are the body's preferred fuel. The body is actually very reluctant to give up fat, and for good reason. Fat stores are a lot like a savings account; evolutionarily there for when not enough energy (money) is coming in, for shortages and long travel and emergencies and survival in general, but not for everyday preferred spending. Would you burn through your savings if you didn't know if your income would stabilize? Probably not. The body wouldn't, either. Just like with savings, you'd slow down and only use what is necessary. Everybody wants to have lots of savings, but no rational person wants to have to spend it.

                                The body is most willing to burn glucose and then lean body mass before fat. Hence why it's so common for anorexia sufferers to have a relatively high BF %. Weight (fat) loss would be much simpler if fat was the body's first fuel choice. Simply cut back on calories and the body dips into fat savings. Not so fast. In reality, it's not that linear. Ketosis may manipulate the body into burning fat at the expense of added stressors and lowered metabolic rate, but I don't see how it's preferred when it's so hard to get into that state due to the body's and brain's preference for glucose, and then sustain it when the body will so easily pop out of ketosis from eating something as simple as a large potato. If ketosis is preferable, why does the body fight against it and abandon it at the first incoming fruit smoothie? When there's no or little incoming glucose, we evolved a mechanism to produce it (gluconeogenesis). That is proof right there that the body prefers glucose, ideally through dietary intake (plan a) or plan b: gluconeogenesis, the secondary means of getting its preferred fuel. Ketones are a last resort in order of preference.

                                Alcohol shouldn't really be a consideration as its not typically found in nature or relied on for sustenance.
                                Last edited by j3nn; 12-23-2012, 02:54 AM.
                                | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

                                “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X