Insects, bugs, worms, etc...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insects, bugs, worms, etc...

I feel I ought to vary my diet a little, as Grok may've done. Pretty sure he didn't get organic pastured chicken and grass fed beef every week, nor fresh line caught mackerel either. I suspect insects were often available though...
    Does anyone have any experience to share?
    before I venture out into the garden, I'm thinking of trying one of the on-line sources first, e.g. click.

You can try if you are brave. I would note though make sure you cook them or that they have been adequately cooked, insects are full of parasites (mostly they carry their eggs), this is how dogs end up with various worms.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Originally posted by lordgrover View Post
      I feel I ought to vary my diet a little, as Grok may've done.
      Allegedly ant eggs and woodlice taste a bit like prawns when fried. If you search, I am sure that the method for getting ants to bring their eggs to you will produce a Youtube video.
      Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

Are you kidding me? lololololol
        Make America Great Again

Comment

Bugs are ok, but they're hardly enough of a meal for me. I raised mealworms for a while. Decent snack and fun ingredient to cookies. I found crickets to be a bit on the dry side. I have some Chinese water beetles in the freezer that I'm trying to find a good use for.

For the cost of it, and the amount calories you actually get from them, I don't think you could make it a staple.

Comment

If you want to try freeze dried meal worms you can buy them at pet stores, including Walmart and Tractor Supply. They'll be in the wild bird feed section. I add them to my bird feeder's seed mix to attract blue birds.
            Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

I'm so glad you posted this. Hulu just put up two seasons of "A Cook's Tour," from 2002. Almost any of the episodes in Asia, and many in Latin America will show you some neat bug dishes. If you've never seen Anthony Bourdain, try not to be put off by him - he comes off as a schmuck at first, but he's really a big cuddly kissy face. Anyway, it's free, so you don't have to give out your credit card to watch.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I don't see myself eating bugs, though I know that's just a cultural thing.

I would really like to see someone manufacture an insect based protein powder. I think I could overcome my squeamishness for that, if they were pulverized enough!

Comment

Originally posted by rankamateur View Post
                  I don't see myself eating bugs, though I know that's just a cultural thing.

I would really like to see someone manufacture an insect based protein powder. I think I could overcome my squeamishness for that, if they were pulverized enough!
                  It really is, the United States is in the minority of nations where you can't regularly find insects on the menu as toppings and the like. Boy am I proud to be an American!!!
                  -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

I think this is one authenticity aspect of paleo I am perfectly happy to forgo.
                    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                      I think this is one authenticity aspect of paleo I am perfectly happy to forgo.
                      This is really interesting. I would think that a reaction against eating bugs is similar to the reaction many vegetarians have if you suggest eating meat. And in fact I once met some vegans who I offered an egg-based drink to, their reaction was a bit like if I'd offered my friends ground up beetle juice.

I've never knowingly tried by the way.

Comment

Many Americans eat bugs without realizing it. 1) Many prepared foods in the US contained colourings and flavourings that are made with insects. 2) Also all flours etc have a certain allowable % of insect parts and believe it or not, mouse droppings.
                        3)Chitin is the hard portion of an insects body - it is the main source of production of chitosan, which is used in a number of applications, such as a flocculating agent, a wound healing agent, a sizing and strengthening agent for paper, and a delivery vehicle for pharmaceuticals and genes.

So it not like you haven't done it. (or as if your ancestors haven't - In fact one of the persistent enzymes all humans have is one that allows you to digest chitin unlike the one all babies have to digest milk but often is lost as you age.)

Cheers
                        j
                        Last edited by twa2w; 12-18-2012, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Ants taste citrusy
                          Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

The French love snails and grubs. And they are delicious cooked in garlic butter. You'll find many reciepes for them.

You can use your back-yard common variety snails and grubs, then put them in a box with a lot of cornmeal for about 2 weeks for finishing.
                            "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

I can and have eaten snails, but I hate insects, and I would be averse to eating anything I can't stand to touch.
                              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Working...
                              X