KFC going primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KFC going primal?

Minus the Colonel's "secret sauce," this sandwich looks to be a somewhat healthy option for fast food (I know all fast food is unhealthy, but living in a small town with few options, I like knowing that sandwiches like this are available in a pinch). I know Hardee's has a low-carb Thickburger that comes wrapped in lettuce. Are there anymore "healthier" fast-food options out there?

http://louisville.bizjournals.com/lo...5/daily11.html

I don't know if I trust that. It may look AWESOME and may be primal at face value, butI bet they sneak some superfluous hydrogenated cottonseed oil and 20 preservatives into there.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Stabby: amen to that.

Comment

I actually work for KFC and please for the love of Jeebus run away from that sammich! It has over 60 carbs in it due to the breading on the chicken. The bacon even manages to have 3 carbs with the seasoning used.

I almost never eat at work and when I do I eat a grilled chicken breast ( 0 carbs! )

KFC is definitely not going paleo! But you can still eat pretty paleo there... just don't get any side dishes, all of them are not-so-good (potatoes, wedges, corn, green beans, baked beans, mac and cheese)

Yikes!
        March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
        Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

You can get the sandwich with grilled chicken...I might try it if I'm in a pinch.

Comment

The grilled chicken actually would be a lot better. But it's hardly heavenly. It has carbs too because of the seasoning they use. And it's actually not grilled either. None of our chicken is grilled. It's steamed. We have a huge steamer in the back and the chicken is put on black racks with lines on them to appear grilled. Funny, huh?

But yeah, if in a pinch, go for it. I'd still suggest just the regular "grilled" chicken on the bone though.

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

Aw, dangit. Now I'm craving a big ole chicken drumstick.

Comment

so this is actually steamed and the grill marks are painted somewhat?

http://www.kfc.com/menu/chicken_grilled.asp

If that's true, this could be a class action lawsuite

Comment

Oh, Lordy! There was a post on this a few weeks back. I just don't trust fast-food joints. :P

@thehallowprince - Nice quote in your sig. Carl Sagan was an incredible man, and I just can't get enough of "The Cosmos."

Comment

Originally posted by thehallowprince View Post
                    I actually work for KFC and please for the love of Jeebus run away from that sammich! It has over 60 carbs in it due to the breading on the chicken. The bacon even manages to have 3 carbs with the seasoning used.

I almost never eat at work and when I do I eat a grilled chicken breast ( 0 carbs! )

KFC is definitely not going paleo! But you can still eat pretty paleo there... just don't get any side dishes, all of them are not-so-good (potatoes, wedges, corn, green beans, baked beans, mac and cheese)

Yikes!
                    According to the KFC nutrition info, there are 11g carbs (not 60) in the breaded version, 3 in the grilled version. And that's including the sauce, which I'd suspect has HFCS in it.

Comment

The grilled chicken actually would be a lot better. But it's hardly heavenly. It has carbs too because of the seasoning they use.
                      Another fact check - the KFC site says 0g carbs for their grilled chicken. Either you're honestly mistaken/misinformed, or KFC's lying.

Comment

God I wanna try it tho, cant believe its only US atm
                        www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal View Post
                          Another fact check - the KFC site says 0g carbs for their grilled chicken. Either you're honestly mistaken/misinformed, or KFC's lying.
                          The carbs are my own suspicion because we cook them all on the same tables and the breading often travels. But it definitely is way better than other choices so I do recommend if you're at KFC.

And YES! The chicken is ROASTED, not grilled! Go to your local KFC and ask if you can see "the grill." It's a big metal box that steams the chicken. The chicken is put on a black rack that has lines on it. When the chicken is removed from the black rack, the "grill lines" appear. If you go inside and watch, you'll see they remove the grilled chicken from a black rack that has lines all over it.

This article here also mentions that it's not grilled http://visualrecipes.com/blog/kfc-gr...with-pictures/

Crew Members and Managers are told NOT to reveal that it's roasted, not grilled, but if you ask the right person, they usually spill the beans. Especially if they are just a disinterested teenager. Go ahead, call your local KFC and ask if it's roasted or actually cooked on a grill...

Comment

I shudder to think what coats those "grills" and comes off onto the meat. Do they just paint caramel color onto them with a basting brush or something?
                            Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

The carbs are my own suspicion because we cook them all on the same tables and the breading often travels. But it definitely is way better than other choices so I do recommend if you're at KFC.

And YES! The chicken is ROASTED, not grilled! Go to your local KFC and ask if you can see "the grill." It's a big metal box that steams the chicken. The chicken is put on a black rack that has lines on it. When the chicken is removed from the black rack, the "grill lines" appear. If you go inside and watch, you'll see they remove the grilled chicken from a black rack that has lines all over it.

This article here also mentions that it's not grilled http://visualrecipes.com/blog/kfc-gr...with-pictures/

Crew Members and Managers are told NOT to reveal that it's roasted, not grilled, but if you ask the right person, they usually spill the beans. Especially if they are just a disinterested teenager. Go ahead, call your local KFC and ask if it's roasted or actually cooked on a grill...
                              Interesting - what does the chicken look like before it is cooked at the store? Is it raw or pre-cooked?

Comment

Working...
                              X