costco olive oil help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• costco olive oil help?

I stumbled upon this brand of olive oil at Costco -- has anyone used it before? It's called "Cullen Creek" olive oil.

Cullen Creek Olive Oil
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

No, but Kirkland Olive Oil was actually one of the ones that when tested was real olive oil. Some others are adulterated with lesser oils like peanut and canola.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      No, but Kirkland Olive Oil was actually one of the ones that when tested was real olive oil. Some others are adulterated with lesser oils like peanut and canola.
      Can we assume if an olive oil contains these other oils that they will be listed in the ingredients? I've heard this claim before about lesser oils being used in cheaper olive oil brands so I checked our bottles at home and they appear to be pure olive oil. Thing is we bought them at Wally Mart which isn't exactly known for fine cuisine! We do buy the more expensive named brands though so I'm hoping they are pure O.O.

Comment

No, I'll try to find the link. And purchasing from Italy isn't a guarantee either, which freaked me out. Apparently their standards for the (mostly) olive oil they export are as lax as our standards for what we allow to be labelled as olive oil. I'm off to google to see if I can find the link. I do remember Kirkland and the California Olive Company as being two safe ones.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Sorry, it's California Olive Ranch, not Company.

I found a few links when I googled "is your olive oil really olive oil."

Your Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Is Fake | Food Renegade

Is Your 'Olive Oil' Really Olive Oil? | Foodie Buzz

Researchers at UC Davis find problems again with purity of imported olive oil - Los Angeles Times

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-y...lly-olive-oil/

I can't find the original 2009 study.

B*tch-lite

Comment

California Olive Ranch is great. If the olive oil says it was made in California or Oregon, it's probably real and it's easy to look up the farms it comes from. There's a lot of good olive country out here. The olive oil from Redridge Farms looks pretty tasty <3

At any rate, you'll probably have better luck looking at domestic brands versus imported.

Comment

Well, Kirkland it is then. Thx.

Comment

I do remember Kirkland and the California Olive Company as being two safe ones.

Comment

I bought a bottle of California Olive Ranch oil a few weeks ago. The stuff is damn good. It has a sort of apply after taste that is amazing.

Comment

We have three varieties of Kirkland olive oil, wondering which one is the one everyone recommends:

Kirkland extra Virgin olive oil - Arbequina, made in Spain

Kirkland signature extra virgin olive oil in dark colored 2L bottle

Kirkland signature organic extra virgin olive oil, Filippo berio branded, 1.5L clear bottle

Any thoughts?

Comment

Sadly, it seems that some (many/most) of the largest producers & resellers from Italy are the main culprits. Like coffee, there are cartels of sorts, limited numbers of select peoples who amass & often mix oils for overseas redistribution & resale to other larger buyers who put their own labels on the product. This is the main problem. Where & when there are opportunities for maximizing profits with little or sometimes no oversight, the inevitable happens. As it has been happening w/ Italian olive oil for too many years, just like here in Hawaii w/ "100% Estate Kona Coffee" selling for big bucks to the end users. The issues (in my estimation) are not only lesser quality olive oils in the mix, but the other cheap PUFA oils detected too upon broad analyses. Are there good, reliable, pure sources for the beloved OO? Sure of course, even exported from Italy. I personally stick to lesser countries like Spain, Tunisia, Turkey, Greece etc & I buy from reliable sources, & personally I mostly buy organic OO. Costco brand is one of them, all TJs OOs & any certified organic imported or any west coast 'family-owned' domestic OO is reliably high quality. 100% pure unadulterated OO has a taste & an aroma that many/most cannot identify w/out 3rd party verification. Buyer beware.
                      Last edited by Betorq; 12-16-2012, 08:52 PM.
                      "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                      "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                      "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

wait, which costco olive oil are you guys advocating? We used to get olive oil in a large plastic (not dark) container from costco until I told my mom to throw it out (smelled funny) ...

is there a costco brand in a dark container that i'm not seeing?
                        feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Comment

From the research I've done since reviewing this thread it appears the Costco brand you want is the organic version. Unfortunately it comes in a clear plastic bottle so you need to check the dates and wonder how long it has sat in the light on their shelves. As I said, unfortunate they chose to package it this way as this may be the easiest for most of us to buy. I have no idea what stores sell CA brands around here. Have to do some digging around.

Comment

Also, at Amazon, a search of California Olive Ranch gets more than 20 hits, but the link was too long and wouldn't post here.

B*tch-lite

Comment

The Spanish Arbequina was AWESOME. But our store sold out before I could stock up...

Comment

Working...
                              X