costco olive oil help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shep68 View Post
    From the research I've done since reviewing this thread it appears the Costco brand you want is the organic version. Unfortunately it comes in a clear plastic bottle so you need to check the dates and wonder how long it has sat in the light on their shelves. As I said, unfortunate they chose to package it this way as this may be the easiest for most of us to buy. I have no idea what stores sell CA brands around here. Have to do some digging around.
    Correct. The Costco here sells so much so fast, it's like a sped-up commercial on tv where they zip around @ high speed. For such a mellow, slow paced place, they sure do take Costco shopping seriously. If the clear plastic is an issue for you, try what I've done: reuse the old amber glass bottles from other OOs &/or refrigerate the majority of it for safe storage & keep the small stuff in the cupboard out of the light & away from stove top heat. Just me, myself & I, 1/2 way thru a big container of it & the org coco oil I bought there several weeks ago...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
      wait, which costco olive oil are you guys advocating? We used to get olive oil in a large plastic (not dark) container from costco until I told my mom to throw it out (smelled funny) ...

is there a costco brand in a dark container that i'm not seeing?
      I have "tested" that olive oil and it never solidified in the fridge. I knew something was up, the color was all wrong. I'll never buy that olive oil again.
      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Well we just hit the Costco near us today and lo and behold they had California Olive Ranch EVOO. Two big dark green bottles for around $12. Score! Also found those salmon patties somebody mentioned in another Costco thread. Double score!

Comment

All -
          Finding quality and true olive oil is difficult enough. But I'm looking for the light-tasting but pure olive oil to use in making homemade mayo. Does anyone have any advice or favored brands for that purpose?
          Thanks in advance.

Comment

cukken creek olive oil

Yes, we like it and bought 6 bottles (1-liter/bottle) from Costco, OR several months ago. The one we like is extra virgin and Less than 0.5% acidity. it was $6 per bottle. However, Costco doesn't have it any more, instead, they sell Kirkland (their brand name) for $12/bottle.

Originally posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
            I stumbled upon this brand of olive oil at Costco -- has anyone used it before? It's called "Cullen Creek" olive oil.

Cullen Creek Olive Oil

Comment

Yes, it is hard to find good and cheap price olive oil. Therefore, we start to plant our own olive trees and cue them for eating.
              RichCat

RichCat
              RichCat

Originally posted by waterjen View Post
              All -
              Finding quality and true olive oil is difficult enough. But I'm looking for the light-tasting but pure olive oil to use in making homemade mayo. Does anyone have any advice or favored brands for that purpose?
              Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by shep68 View Post
                Can we assume if an olive oil contains these other oils that they will be listed in the ingredients? I've heard this claim before about lesser oils being used in cheaper olive oil brands so I checked our bottles at home and they appear to be pure olive oil. Thing is we bought them at Wally Mart which isn't exactly known for fine cuisine! We do buy the more expensive named brands though so I'm hoping they are pure O.O.
                No, they won't be listed. Olive oil is absolutely riddled with corruption. I would recommend reading Extra Virginity... that was a really good book. Buying more expensive doesn't guarantee you're getting pure olive oil, but buying cheap does virtually guarantee you're not.
                Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Working...
                X