Wild foods - who eats daisies??!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
    The nice thing about oniony wild things is that if it smells like onions or garlic it IS onions or garlic. Go ahead and eat it.
    wild chives <3 one of my favorite things about spring!

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      It's plant iron. You can't absorb it. In one end, out the other.
      References, please. Last I knew, the only iron not really available was the stuff that rubs off of your cast iron cookware, but I do not even know if that still holds or not.

Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
      Butter fried dandelions! Try them in a salad.
      Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
      Day lilies are delicious
      Recipes, please!
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        It's plant iron. You can't absorb it. In one end, out the other.
        Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
        References, please. Last I knew, the only iron not really available was the stuff that rubs off of your cast iron cookware, but I do not even know if that still holds or not.
        I'd like to see any references to that as well, if you please, if possible. Anecdotally, my oldest paleo bud back in Cali, was a frequent fond forager of found nettles & he was told to lay off them when his blood iron levels were sky high. He didn't eat much red meat hardly ever, nor any other particularly iron-rich foods at all, just stinging nettles as a passion, were singled out as his irony culprit. He postured, pleaded & protested but in the end, ceased his particular passionate poaching & his iron levels normalized some time later. Double-blind study, no, but true alliterative story...well yes.
        Last edited by Betorq; 12-16-2012, 07:04 PM.
        "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
        "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
        "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

It's plant iron. You can't absorb it.

Comment

Livestrong says: What Nutrients Aid In The Absorption Of Iron In The Human Body? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Heme iron (animal based ) absorbs about 25-35% but non heme (plant based) only absorbs about 3%.

You can improve this a bit with extra vitamin C.

Comment

Working...
            X