Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Main Meal a Night and my Experiences From it...... :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    So, where is everyone on this one meal a day? Still at it? Did you meet your goal?
    Yes and yes, though more as personal preference than means to an end.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I've been doing the one meal plan for quite some time now (I think almost a year) and I have no plans to change that.
      "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

Mostly. I sometimes get hungry at around 3pm. I either ignore it, drink a cup of coffee with a half tablespoon of butter, or eat something small like a couple of hard boiled eggs.

If I ignore it, I eat a very large one meal for the day pretty late in the day. Otherwise, I guess it's one snack and a meal.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
          Mostly. I sometimes get hungry at around 3pm. I either ignore it, drink a cup of coffee with a half tablespoon of butter, or eat something small like a couple of hard boiled eggs.

If I ignore it, I eat a very large one meal for the day pretty late in the day. Otherwise, I guess it's one snack and a meal.
          Been a one meal guy for most of two years now... The biggest benefit isn't to my physical health, but the absolute freedom from being tied down to the kitchen all the time.

I get it all back for work, play, and learning!
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
            Food tastes better with your shoes off. Anthony Bourdain said it once, and I've discovered it to be true.
            Love this.

I think everything in life is better with your shoes off! I hate wearing shoes.

Comment

I would like to experiment with this a little more. How do you get enough calories to run your body? Do you get used to eating that much at one sitting by just dealing with being really full for a little while? I eat just twice a day on most days, presently. Sometimes my stomach really yells at me to feed it, and it just feels like my stomach acid needs something to chew on, haha. Should I just learn to ignore it and adjust over to over time?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm sure I could just try it, and see how it goes, but I am just being lazy and asking questions instead.

Thanks in advance to any who are kind enough to indulge me.

Comment

Originally posted by k-del View Post
                How do you get enough calories to run your body? Do you get used to eating that much at one sitting by just dealing with being really full for a little while?
                Pacing is wise (don't gorge) but not difficult at all to get energy. I haven't tracked for a while but my dinner routine is like:
                6:00p soup/salad course: ~250 kcal
                6:30p protein/starch course: ~1250 kcal (often divided on two plates to keep warm)
                7:30p fruit/fat course: ~500 kcal
                If I feel a true energy shortfall I'll grab a spoon of creamed coconut before the evening stroll.

Sometimes my stomach really yells at me to feed it, and it just feels like my stomach acid needs something to chew on, haha. Should I just learn to ignore it and adjust over to over time?
                Appetite is conditioned like an animal, it will whine at its customary feeding time. A midday or teatime snack is fine if there's no hazard of dubious convenience foods. I do keep a supply of pickles and clementines in the work refrigerator just in case of audible gurgle--often a shot of the pickle brine is enough though.
                37//6'3"/185

Comment

How do you get enough calories to run your body? Do you get used to eating that much at one sitting by just dealing with being really full for a little while?
                  It could be a problem if you're a big guy and require 3-4000 kcal/day. I need about 2500 kcal/day to maintain. I just sit down for dinner and eat to my hearts content, not worrying about calorie intake. That's how I truly enjoy to eat anyway. Since I'm eating primally, the foods are self-regulating as far as overeating is concerned. In other words, I'll have a really hard time getting over my daily calorie limit by eating meat, vegetables, berries, and maybe a bit of yogurt before my body signals that I've reached my limit and that I'm fully satisfied.
                  I used to count calories in the beginning and found that it was hard to reach 2500 kcal in one meal by eating primal food, and that included fatty cuts of meat. So I just stopped counting.
                  Last edited by ilovesteak; 10-08-2014, 12:15 PM.
                  "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                    Pacing is wise (don't gorge) but not difficult at all to get energy. I haven't tracked for a while but my dinner routine is like:
                    6:00p soup/salad course: ~250 kcal
                    6:30p protein/starch course: ~1250 kcal (often divided on two plates to keep warm)
                    7:30p fruit/fat course: ~500 kcal
                    If I feel a true energy shortfall I'll grab a spoon of creamed coconut before the evening stroll.

Appetite is conditioned like an animal, it will whine at its customary feeding time. A midday or teatime snack is fine if there's no hazard of dubious convenience foods. I do keep a supply of pickles and clementines in the work refrigerator just in case of audible gurgle--often a shot of the pickle brine is enough though.
                    Thanks for the tips! I am fighting a UC flare atm, also, and I have been trying different things with diet for about 6 months (all in the primal vein, though). The medical CW normally touts a bunch of small meals throughout the day as the best way to make it easy on your gut. But I have also seen people write about intermittent fasting working for them. The advice/n=1s are all over the place on it, of course. I know that keeping track of calories works for some people, but I have never counted a calorie in my life, and probably won't start now. I have been one of the "lucky" ones---tall, thin female that has always been able to eat what I wanted, when I wanted, and in whatever quantity I wanted for most of my 49 years, without worrying about weight issues. But, I have always played multiple sports, and still do, so....yeah.

I will definitely try to apply some of the things I am reading.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesteak View Post
                      It could be a problem if you're a big guy and require 3-4000 kcal/day. I need about 2500 kcal/day to maintain. I just sit down for dinner and eat to my hearts content, not worrying about calorie intake. That's how I truly enjoy to eat anyway. Since I'm eating primally, the foods are self-regulating as far as overeating is concerned. In other words, I'll have a really hard time getting over my daily calorie limit by eating meat, vegetables, berries, and maybe a bit of yogurt before my body signals that I've reached my limit and that I'm fully satisfied.
                      I used to count calories in the beginning and found that it was hard to reach 2500 kcal in one meal by eating primal food, and that included fatty cuts of meat. So I just stopped counting.
                      As I posted above, I don't count calories or macros or anything either. I am a 6'2" female, weighing about 155 lbs. I was carrying more weight 6 months ago than I was comfortable with, before I went primal. I lost 20 pounds just by dropping bread, grains and bad oils. I don't know how many cals are even recommended for me, haha. I eat a pretty a good deal of meat, fish eggs and veggies. I tend to go a little too low carb at times, I think, so I have been focusing on keeping my tuber, berry and banana consumption a little higher of late. I eat veggies mainly because I feel like I "should", although I am not sure they are not overrated. :/ I know opinions differ on that, and I'm not trying to inflame anyone's veggie sensibilities.

Maybe I will start by increasing the size of one of my two meals, while decreasing the other over time. I like the thought of one big meal, for the convenience and time savings. Hopefully I can work my way into it.

Thanks again for your post.

Comment

I would like to experiment with this a little more. How do you get enough calories to run your body? Do you get used to eating that much at one sitting by just dealing with being really full for a little while? I eat just twice a day on most days, presently. Sometimes my stomach really yells at me to feed it, and it just feels like my stomach acid needs something to chew on, haha. Should I just learn to ignore it and adjust over to over time?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm sure I could just try it, and see how it goes, but I am just being lazy and asking questions instead.

Thanks in advance to any who are kind enough to indulge me.
                        For the bolded part, in my experience, it depends. Maybe not helpful. Mostly, I ignore these feelings. But, I've also had the very rare occasion where ignoring them made me feel faint. Like wobbly knees faint. At that point, I'll eat something. A piece of fruit; a couple of eggs; something light.

As to getting enough calories to run my body. I can easily eat 8-16 oz of meat or fish in a sitting, though 10 oz of meat or 12 oz of fish/seafood is the norm. Add in an eight ounce potato or a serving of rice (1/4-1/2 cup dry before cooking), and a sauce of some kind including a little butter, some veggie or fruit, and my main meal can easily be 800 calories. A couple of mugs of espresso with some butter (I use a half tablespoon of butter, but you could use more). Some fruit and cream before bed. It adds up. Also, I don't trouble myself if I eat too few calories one day because there will come a day when I'm seemingly famished all day and eat (lot) more.

Since I don't figure that our ancestors ate a steady stream of calories each day, but instead ate plentifully when calories were available, then sparsely when they weren't, I don't worry about a daily total, but instead keep an eye on calories over time.

Also, two meals a day isn't a bad thing.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I am fighting a UC flare atm, also, and I have been trying different things with diet for about 6 months (all in the primal vein, though).
                          I never had anything as serious as UC but this routine increased regularity and decreased gas. My hunch is the gut undergoes much beneficial upkeep when at rest.

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                          I don't worry about a daily total, but instead keep an eye on calories over time.
                          Aye, I pay close attention to poundage when I shop for the week but don't fuss how it's allocated over 7 days. When it's gone it's gone.
                          37//6'3"/185

Comment

I used to do the 6 meal a day, low fat, healthy carb thingy. Looked great, Doctor liked my numbers, felt great, as long as I never went more than a few hours without food. Eventually though I started to put on weight in the midsection that I didn't appreciate. (Never more than 20 pounds over weight.) And the hassle of never being more than hour or so away from crippling hunger was just such a damned hassle!

Last January I went 'Primal' and now I feel GREAT! The pounds came off like magic, I look better, feel better, and my Doctor LOVES my numbers. I've gradually cut back on eating frequency and at the moment I don't eat breakfast, usually have a protein, fat, veggie lunch (three eggs, spinach in olive oil as an example), and sometimes don't eat lunch at all. I start my evening 'feeding' at about 7 and pretty much eat until around 10. A piece of cheese or handful of nuts, a big salad, a large piece of animal flesh and a pile of veggies. After all of that I usually have an enormous bowl of berries with a little heavy cream, more nuts If I'm hungry, dark chocolate, etc. etc.

Suits me GREAT! I never feel deprived or hungry, and eat with abandon in the evenings when I have some time.
                            What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Working...
                            X