Always want sweets after eating.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always want sweets after eating.

As soon as I'm done eating, I immediately want something sweet. I (years ago) used to turn to brownies, cookies etc... The past year I've gone to my coffee with creamer and sugar. Well, can't do that anymore!

Is this just part of a "sugar addiction" or is there something more to me always feeling like I'm missing something sugary after I eat?
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

this could easily be sugar addiction, or a craving for something missing in your diet. if it's just a sweet tooth, see if you can get rid of it by having a small piece of fruit, a few berries, or a square or two of some really decent, and really dark chocolate.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I reckon it's got more to do with whether your meal has been satisfying - nutritionally and emotionally too.

I used to be exactly the same. Sometimes I do still get it and have a couple of squares of 90% chocolate, but if I've had a particularly great meal I often find that the same urge isn't there.

Comment

Well, I'd say my meal was pretty fantastic, eggs, bacon and a few tomatoes. I curbed it by having a pea sized dallop of raw honey. It actually helped. I think it's mental. Darn sugar... get out my system!!!
        Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

It could be just habit. Possibly it was with me too.

Maybe just aware of any times when it doesn't happen and think about what was different.

Comment

Yes...... for me going primal I have cut it out all forms of sugar altogether. Just say nooo It will go away if you do. For me if I do try to satisfy that then it is a very slippery road that leads to more consumption followed by losing my way totally on my diet. I find now that I am as low as I want to be for weight that allowing it maybe once a week in a bigger portion is a better idea rather than feeding the giant sugar monster every day. It doesn't matter to me how satisfying the meal is, but any form of sugar, or indeed too many carbs. can start off that feeling.
            Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
            Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
            Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

I know the feeling well. It usually started with something sweet after dinner (Oreo's anyone?), then something salty (mmmm, Pringles), then something sweet, then maybe a piece of cheese--now need something sweet again and so on til bedtime.

This was the first habit I broke almost 3 years ago...now, after dinner, I have a piece of dark chocolate or a spoonful of almond butter, or maybe a small bowl of frozen blueberries, then brush my teeth. Once my teeth are brushed, it's like the signal for NO MORE EATING. Works great! I can usually get about 4 hours of no eating before bed.

Comment

It's totally a habit or an addiction. It sure is for me. People keep giving me chocolate. I can't seem to say no. If they wouldn't do it, or if I had more will-power and would just give it away, then I wouldn't eat it, but once it is there, as soon as I have breakfast or lunch I know there's chocolate...At least I only eat some once a day.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                  I know the feeling well. It usually started with something sweet after dinner (Oreo's anyone?), then something salty (mmmm, Pringles), then something sweet, then maybe a piece of cheese--now need something sweet again and so on til bedtime.
                  This. It is one thing after the other. Perhaps just nip it all in the bud right now!

Thanks all
                  Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

While gum is not primal, I find that chewing a piece of gum is the best solution after breakfast and lunch. After supper I have fruit. Sometimes I have fruit after lunch as well. I tried to break my sugar addiction, but it led to endless struggles, horrid weekend binges and bouts of depression. So I decided to screw perfect. I am 37 years of age, and I figure it's as good as I am gonna get. Better 3 apples a day, than a nervous breakdown every Thursday. I take 5HTP as well, and while the results are not perfect as well, imo it helps stopping yourself at a 2-nd apple after supper as opposite to going for a pear, an orange and a banana too.
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I don't get daily cravings for sweets anymore...but I've noticed whenever I have had a calorie dense meal consisting of protein and fat and little carbs in 1 avocado I want something sweet right when I'm done eating. I wonder if I needed a little more carbs with the dense fat and protein to mix with. This happens before my class when I have dinner early and eat a lot to finish off my calories.
                      My Health and Nutrition Blog
                      @ VIBRANTE
                      http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Comment

Also, I am not sure if it will be helpful to other people, but I find that carrots, beets, turnips, rutabaga, jikama and radishes are good as well in the sugar department. One gotta decide for oneself if they are au par with fruit or better or worse. I am thinking I am going to do better once I completely overcome the fear of carbs left to me by the VLC. Grated jikama and carrot salad is a great desert....

Comment

Great tips. I've been eliminating fruit for weight loss, but perhaps it will help and it's just something I need in small quantities off the bat to help with sugar addiction.
                          Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

EM, it will not help with sugar addiction. To break sugar addiction you do need to eliminate all sugar, period, including dairy, fruit and starches. But to lose weight to a certain point (i.e. average BF%, down to ~ 22% for a female) you do not need to eliminate fruit. I would also advise strongly against eliminating fruit and healthy starch if you have serotonin problem. In other words, if you experience depression when sugar is completely eliminated. In this case, I would suggest taking 5HTP (unless taking another drug with the same component) for at least 3 weeks prior to eliminating sugar. Overall though, I doubt that completely savory life is for everyone or even beneficial. As much as I coveted it, it turned out to be a torture.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                              EM, it will not help with sugar addiction. To break sugar addiction you do need to eliminate all sugar, period, including dairy, fruit and starches. But to lose weight to a certain point (i.e. average BF%, down to ~ 22% for a female) you do not need to eliminate fruit. I would also advise strongly against eliminating fruit and healthy starch if you have serotonin problem. In other words, if you experience depression when sugar is completely eliminated. In this case, I would suggest taking 5HTP (unless taking another drug with the same component) for at least 3 weeks prior to eliminating sugar. Overall though, I doubt that completely savory life is for everyone or even beneficial. As much as I coveted it, it turned out to be a torture.
                              The world does feel like it's crashing down when I don't have sugar lol. I will look into the 5HTP, thanks!
                              Earthy Mama's Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X