Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, we made the worst diet list of 2012........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, we made the worst diet list of 2012........

Everyone stand up and take a bow...

2012 Diet Trends that Didn't Work (And Some That Did) | Fitbie

The Worst: Eating Like a Caveman
    The hugely popular Paleo Diet is based on the theory that our bodies are optimized for eating the foods our hunter-gatherer ancestors ate: fruits, vegetables, and meat. Problem is, our lifestyles aren’t, Giancoli says. “It’s not like our ancestors were hunting cows or chickens. They were hunting super-lean wild game, and most people today can’t go out and consume wild game all of the time,” she says. Domesticated farm animals aren’t as lean as wild game, so diets heavy in their meats include more saturated fat than is healthy. While the strict fruits-veggies-and-meat diet will result in weight loss by eliminating refined sugars and preservatives, results are far from sustainable, as the restrictions make the diet difficult to keep up. What’s more, by prohibiting the consumption of fiber-filled legumes and whole grains as well as calcium- and vitamin D-rich calcium, it can set dieters up for cravings and nutritional deficiencies. 

Bottom Line: A diet based in fruits and veggies is great, as is shunning refined sugars and preservatives. But to be sustainable, diet plans need to meet all of the body’s nutritional needs, Giancoli says. Whenever it requires cutting out healthy foods (like whole grains, dairy, legumes), it doesn’t.

I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

LOL, awww... that's so cute.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Comment

Yay!

Hey check out this from the "best diets"

"While big-name researchers, hospitals, and health organizations have had their own lab-tested nutrition plans for years, recent book releases and favorable reviews have put them back on the table where they belong...........Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet, which is rich in fruits, veggies, whole grains, and low-fat dairy, is recommended by the U.S. Department of Agriculture......"

Sweet

Comment

Super-lean wild game my fat ass.

Do these people really think that humans only ever ate muscle meat?

Sure, the muscle may be leaner, but when you cook the brains on top of it....

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post

But to be sustainable, diet plans need to meet all of the body’s nutritional needs, Giancoli says. Whenever it requires cutting out healthy foods (like whole grains, dairy, legumes), it doesn’t.

[/I]
          Ha!
          Sarah
          Primal on a budget in Sugar Land, TX
          SarahChzBurg's Primal Journal

Comment

*checks mirror*

Unsustainable my (significantly smaller) ass.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Yea it is so hard eating wild fish, game, beef, mounds of colourful veg....I don't know how I manage without beige grains.
              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
              PS
              Don't forget to play!

Comment

*facepalm*
                -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

i love seeing how a person can be ignorant and an expert at the same time. it gives me hope for one day when i can be an oxymoron... i'm thinking agoraphobic explorer.
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                    i love seeing how a person can be ignorant and an expert at the same time. It gives me hope for one day when i can be an oxymoron... I'm thinking agoraphobic explorer.
                    lmao
                    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                    My Journal

Comment

Here's the author's bio About K. Aleisha Fetters | Follow the Nomad

Why does her opinion mean anything...esp when http://followthenomad.wordpress.com/about/" In a desperate attempt at a more relaxing life, I’ve thrown in my proverbial towel on the U.S. economy and am moving to Spain." To Spain's economy with it's unemployment?
                      Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

and heres' Andrea Giancoli, MPH RD
                        Areas of Expertise for Media Inquiries:

Vegetarian Eating
                        Fad Diets
                        Raw Food Diets
                        Nutrition Policy
                        General Nutrition

The Vegetarian Kid | The Family Fork

The Well-Fed Vegetarian - Make sure your meatless diet doesn

The Mainstreaming of Vegan Diets
                        It's true that most plant foods don't contain all the essential amino acids needed by our bodies, while animal proteins do," said Andrea Giancoli, a registered dietitian in Los Angeles and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. "But a grain plus a bean makes a complete protein. As long as you're getting a variety of those, you are fine -- and they don't need to be consumed at the same time."

Sheth and Giancoli also noted that certain vegan "super foods" like soy products and quinoa have been found to contain proteins that break down all the essential amino acids.

"It is absolutely possible to get enough protein from beans, lentils, tofu, soy products and other plant sources like seeds and nuts," Sheth said. "As long as you're getting a varied amount throughout the day, your body can mix it up and get what it needs."
                        Andrea Giancoli - Experts Who Reviewed the Diets - US News Best Diets
                        Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

"But a grain plus a bean makes a complete protein".....

Ha! But, I'm assuming that the bean and the grain at least need to be consumed within a short period of time of each other so that they can locate and bind correctly, right?

Comment

Hilarious. I just love it when these so called experts deliberately misunderstand and make out the we're all trying to live in caves and hunt down our dinner.

Meat, veggies, fat - unsustainable? I think not. I've never enjoyed my food so much and don't care if a breadcrumb or pasta twist never passes my lips ever again.

Presumably being lean and feeling fantastic is unsustainable too then?

Comment

Out with the Pyramid, In with the Plate - What Should I Eat? - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health
                              But grains are not essential for good health, and refined grains are detrimental to health—what’s most important is to make all of our grains whole grains. Likewise, there’s no optimum amount of protein to eat at each meal—the protein source is far more important for health.

Comment

Working...
                              X