Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, we made the worst diet list of 2012........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
    *facepalm*
    Ditto when I saw the article!
    Breathe. Move forward.

    I just eat what I want...

    Comment


    • #17
      Just look at what the author says about cutting carbs:
      2012 Diet Trends that Didn't Work (And Some That Did) | Fitbie

      My favorite parts are the list of supposed side effects, and the comment about regaining weight after going off the diet. I am so sick of people not understanding that what they need is not a temporary "diet", but a permanent change in their diet.

      Comment


      • #18
        While I don't see how Paleo/Primal is the worst, I think that eliminating legumes (and, previously, tubers) is the biggest mistake in the Paleo approach. I have a feeling that the beans will find acceptance as a food source eventually. Just like potatoes did.

        The criticisms Giancoli offers is not based on the 2012 data, it is based on the initial version of Paleo, that outright forbade dairy. On the other hand, she ignores that original Paleo was actually very low fat actually trying to replicate those lean antelopes sans the fatty bits. So, I am not sure which version she is actually critiquing.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

        Comment


        • #19
          I get so tired of hearing about “lean” meats. Whether or not Paleolithic humans ate a lot of lean mean or fatty meat would have varied by location. Look at the Inuit. They ate only fat and fatty meat and did just fine. Natives in the US Pacific Northwest would have eaten a lot of fatty fish.

          As I side note…I love it how paleo makes these lists every year and is always called unsustainable. Whatever dude.
          “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Owly View Post
            *checks mirror*

            Unsustainable my (significantly smaller) ass.
            Haha! And there's the proof, right there. I'm new, but I've lost 8 lbs in the past 3 weeks. I will be getting regular blood tests as I go along. If my bloodwork looks good, and my body feels good, and I achieve an optimal weight, then it's not going to matter to me what CW says about my diet.
            High Weight: 225
            Weight at start of Primal: 189
            Current Weight: 174
            Goal Weight: 130

            Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Scott F View Post
              "It is absolutely possible to get enough protein from beans, lentils, tofu, soy products and other plant sources like seeds and nuts," Sheth said. "As long as you're getting a varied amount throughout the day, your body can mix it up and get what it needs."
              Andrea Giancoli - Experts Who Reviewed the Diets - US News Best Diets
              ... and that is more sustainable than eating meat, fish and veg?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by karatepig View Post
                Just look at what the author says about cutting carbs:
                2012 Diet Trends that Didn't Work (And Some That Did) | Fitbie

                My favorite parts are the list of supposed side effects, and the comment about regaining weight after going off the diet. I am so sick of people not understanding that what they need is not a temporary "diet", but a permanent change in their diet.
                This exactly!!

                My n=1 experiment shows food tastes better ... and I LOVE meat to point where I'm craving it.
                Hear that? Not craving bread or pasta -- no, no. Craving sirloin, pork chops, bacon and sausage.

                Oh I'm slowly losing excess weight. What can be so wrong with this... Ah yes, I forgot. It takes will power and commitment.
                _______________________________________

                Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
                My sporadic journal entries are here.

                Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Owly View Post
                  *checks mirror*

                  Unsustainable my (significantly smaller) ass.
                  Exactly. I've sustained this for almost six months now. The results are fantastic and the food is fabulous. What's not to like?
                  Annie Ups the Ante
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                    Exactly. I've sustained this for almost six months now. The results are fantastic and the food is fabulous. What's not to like?
                    Probably because learning about the Paleo/Primal diet takes a bit of common sense and a bit more time than most people are willing to put forth when CW tells you that your frozen WW pre-planned meals and 100 calorie packs of cookies are "just fine". God forbid people learn how to actually cook with real food...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      It's not "learning" how to cook as it is the time and effort that go into it. What's funny is that I can now cook primal almost as fast as anything else. The trick is frozen vegetables.

                      I love how she says that it you don't eat the grains, you start having cravings. Yeah well, if you're used to shooting heroin and you stop shooting heroin, you start craving that too. Shall I make heroin a healthy addition to my diet?

                      The problem with primal is that there is a substantial initial transition. You are hit with new shopping, new cooking, and carb flu, exactly at the time you need to be most strict. It's easy for CW to point at the transition and say Primal doesn't work.
                      5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by oxide View Post
                        Shall I make heroin a healthy addition to my diet?
                        i think the convention wisdom is that it is OK.....in moderation

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by oxide View Post
                          It's not "learning" how to cook as it is the time and effort that go into it. What's funny is that I can now cook primal almost as fast as anything else. The trick is frozen vegetables.

                          I love how she says that it you don't eat the grains, you start having cravings. Yeah well, if you're used to shooting heroin and you stop shooting heroin, you start craving that too. Shall I make heroin a healthy addition to my diet?

                          The problem with primal is that there is a substantial initial transition. You are hit with new shopping, new cooking, and carb flu, exactly at the time you need to be most strict. It's easy for CW to point at the transition and say Primal doesn't work.
                          This. The transition was a little hard at first. But now primal/paleo is the new normal for my wife and I. We don't even think about it anymore when we shop,cook etc. it just happens.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by oxide View Post
                            The problem with primal is that there is a substantial initial transition. You are hit with new shopping, new cooking, and carb flu, exactly at the time you need to be most strict. It's easy for CW to point at the transition and say Primal doesn't work.
                            This is a choice, not a requirement. I totally eased into it, slowly shifted the pantry and frig, added or altered recipes bit by bit while slowly dropping the old non-primal ones, never a bit of carb flu. So little drama that my family doesn't even know there's a name for the kind of food I'm cooking these days. It's just more nutritious, lol.

                            IMO, even if people linger at the 50/50 point for a while, they're still better off than they were before.
                            50yo, 5'3"
                            SW-195
                            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              In less than a year my husband and I have lost a combined 80 pounds, gotten rid of digestive problems, arthritis, zitts, gas etc and we sleep better and feel ten years younger. We love what we eat and we're eating better than we have in our lives. Doesn't work? Unsustainable? Ummm, really?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                                i love seeing how a person can be ignorant and an expert at the same time. it gives me hope for one day when i can be an oxymoron... i'm thinking agoraphobic explorer.
                                LOL! Made me spit my (grass-fed) bone broth with that one.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X