Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking visibly aged now, more than expected.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then you have my grandma who always looked a lot younger than she was who totally scrubs the crap out of her face every morning with a terry cloth

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
      I have to say, I only know one Paleo guy in reality, and the first time I met him I was shocked by how sick he looked. He's totally ripped, but his face is gaunt and no colour. I also don't think that Mark looks that healthy...!
      Im happy that someon else will admit this. I think Mark looks horrible, yeah he is ripped but who cares about totally ripped, it's superficial. My grandmother is 90 years old, and her face looks 10 times better than Mark's. Just experiment with this diet, DO NOT do it 100%. I don't diet but take bits and pieces off of everything

Comment

• Originally posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
        Im happy that someon else will admit this. I think Mark looks horrible, yeah he is ripped but who cares about totally ripped, it's superficial. My grandmother is 90 years old, and her face looks 10 times better than Mark's. Just experiment with this diet, DO NOT do it 100%. I don't diet but take bits and pieces off of everything
        What's with the hatin' on Mark guys? I think he looks gorgeous particularly for someone pushing 60, and, having played ultimate frisbee with him, I can tell you that he is very fit. He can run circles around guys half his age. He has a very blond/blue eyed nordic complexion which has spent decades in the southern California sunshine and a lot of that at or on the water. So sure, he has some sun damage, but still, I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers. (Not that that would be a problem around here. I guess we need a new expression. How about, "I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating kale chips?" )

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          What's with the hatin' on Mark guys? I think he looks gorgeous particularly for someone pushing 60, and, having played ultimate frisbee with him, I can tell you that he is very fit. He can run circles around guys half his age. He has a very blond/blue eyed nordic complexion which has spent decades in the southern California sunshine and a lot of that at or on the water. So sure, he has some sun damage, but still, I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers. (Not that that would be a problem around here. I guess we need a new expression. How about, "I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating kale chips?" )
          Yep, and not everyone can have EXACTLY the facial features that EVERYONE will agree is healthy and attractive. Looks and how we perceive them are often very subjective.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

+1 Paleobird! i think he looks very fit! i wish i had his energy for life pushing 60!
            "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Comment

Not to mention he didn't spend most of his life eating this way and did plenty of chronic cardio in his day.

Comment

I would be happy to take him home to meet my mother !!!!!!! oops thats right - I'm married LOL
                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

I think Mark seems like a lovely person, and I love his writing style. But the very first time I saw his picture I did not have the impression that he looked healthy. His skin looks like a smoker's. A while later I was telling my skinny brother (who wants to be buff) about Mark's exercise plan (which I think is great), but when he saw the pics of Mark he was put off by how drawn Mark's face looked..!

Now that I think of it I have met one female Paleo in reality, and she was the worst advertisement you could imagine. Her face was literally ravaged (though my other Paleo friend put this down to her being an endurance athlete).
                  "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                    I would be happy to take him home to meet my mother !!!!!!! oops thats right - I'm married LOL
                    So's he, dangit!

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                    I think Mark seems like a lovely person, and I love his writing style. But the very first time I saw his picture I did not have the impression that he looked healthy. His skin looks like a smoker's. A while later I was telling my skinny brother (who wants to be buff) about Mark's exercise plan (which I think is great), but when he saw the pics of Mark he was put off by how drawn Mark's face looked..!

Now that I think of it I have met one female Paleo in reality, and she was the worst advertisement you could imagine. Her face was literally ravaged (though my other Paleo friend put this down to her being an endurance athlete).

As AshleyL pointed out above, Mark spent most of his life as a pasta and gatorade pounding ultra-marathon runner. He talks about the physical damage that can do that is permanent. I think he is remarkably healthy given that he had all those years of abusing his body to undo.

I know that I look younger and better at 50 than I did at 40. I only wish I had know about Primal sooner.

Comment

• People have always pegged me as younger than my years (same with both my mom and dad, so it's partly genetic), but since giong primal, I seemed to have stopped aging. Two years, ago, people thought that I was 26/27. Today, people think that i'm 26/27. That's two years on primal.

The way that I see it is that I have the opportunity to stack this in my favor. And I'll be honest, when I look at mark and his wife, I see people who look *a lot healthier and younger* than their CW (or other) counterparts.

I wonder, had my parents done something like this when they were my age, would they look even younger? would they have looked younger longer?

Comment

• I am 31 and recently somebody knocked on my door asking "Is your mommy home?", trying to sign somebody up to a charity. When I said I am a tenant in this house he still seemed confused and said I had to be over 25 anyway to sign up (implying I looked younger).
                        The OP may have to look into what is causing his "ageing", and I guess shift work won't help indeed, as others have suggested, but for me personally living primally has made me look younger than I am (FWIW I only ate VLC for a month or so, I quite happily eat plenty of potatoes now). I still have some issues to sort out such as dark spots under my eyes after a bad night's sleep (I started moisturizing), but all in all this lifestyle has been a transformation for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingPig View Post
                          for me personally living primally has made me look younger than I am (FWIW I only ate VLC for a month or so, I quite happily eat plenty of potatoes now).
                          I don't think anyone is saying that Primal is aging, but I suspect low carb is. UNLESS low carb is specifically advantageous to you metabolically (due to issues like diabetes, epilepsy etc.)
                          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Low-carb dropped the body fat and feels great. My joints are totally normal now, etc. BUT I was living on grains before, and have not honestly given long-term moderate carb Primal a shot. I'm going to aim for 33/33/33 for awhile and see how it goes. As of today, I'm extremely bloated from the bananas. I look about 15 pounds heavier, all on my distended abdomen. I expect I'll always be bloated and uncomfortable eating more carbs, but I'll give it at least a few weeks to see if I can't adapt.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• I'm sure this has been brought up, but maybe you just don't digest fructose well. How about upping on the rice or sweet potatoes?

Comment

• A great short article with some tips and remedies on how to deal with dry, aging skin. Thanks to Glen Lalonde, of the Toronto Paleo Facebook group:

Home Remedies for Facial Wrinkles
                                ----------------------------------------
                                F, 48, 5'10"
                                Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                                Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Working...
                                X