Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with an iron stomach?

Today for lunch at work, I had:

-Two containers of slightly moldy raspberries (I work in a natural foods store and anything they can't sell is offered to employees for free)
    -A tbsp. of straight coconut oil
    -2 raw eggs
    -and a clove of raw, mashed garlic

I think it's safe to say I have an iron stomach.
    Who's with me?
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

well damn, I got nothing on that, and I've eaten some fucked up shit!

Comment

I tend to have a stomach that can take things like that. I just love raw garlic for one.

But iron? If I'm not careful, more than a moderate amount of anything with a decent amount of gluten in it and I become a whimpering, bloated, and painful mess.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Another Iron stomach checking in.

spoiled, rotten, nasty, nothing bothers it. Never has.

Comment

What's with the raw garlic?

Comment

Wow. That sounds... adventurous.

The other day, I opened a new container of greek yogurt and was worried to see some little black spots in the inside wall of the plastic cup that smeared when I touched them. I assumed it was mold. Normally I would throw it away but somehow the spirit of my father welled up in me and I just wiped out the mold and ate the yogurt anyway. I lived to tell the tale. :P
            My Writing Blog
            My Twitter

Comment

The chicken I ate tonight was past its prime, but I figured if I cooked it well enough it'd be okay. And it was, except for a few bites that just tasted wrong. So I smothered it in Sriracha. Problem solved.

Comment

Kata, raw garlic is very good for you IMO. A tonic of sorts. Check it out on google

Comment

Oh, and another thing, those "best if used by dates" are merely suggestions in my kitchen (as long as the wife doesn't catch me).

Comment

I just did. Very interesting, I'd never heard of using raw garlic for medicinal purposes. It wards of vampires AND colds AND tastes awesome? What can't this stuff do???

Comment

Originally posted by Kata View Post
                      I just did. Very interesting, I'd never heard of using raw garlic for medicinal purposes. It wards of vampires AND colds AND tastes awesome? What can't this stuff do???
                      Raw garlic should be chopped up fine, allowed to sit for a few minutes, and then eaten.

This promotes the creation of a pungent antioxidant compound called "allicin" that thins the blood (for easier blood flow), reduces cholesterol, lowers tryglycerides, and reduces chronic inflammation markers.
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

The timing of this thread is impeccable. I just got a friendly reaming from more than one friend over a recent "meal gone bad."

A few weeks back I picked up my haul from the butcher. In my haste to get 200 lbs of meat into the house, a package of pork chops was lost into the recesses of my back seat. 5 days later, I noticed a very subtle odor in the car and it struck me that I may have forgotten something. Sure enough, there was a lone package of pork chops. I hastily rushed it into the freezer until I could figure out what to do with it.

5 days in a car, outside temperatures averaging 45-50 degrees, the pork had gone from frozen to thawed. When I decided to give it a go, I rinsed it under hot water and gave it a brief inspection. It was mostly pink still, with some discoloring around the edges, mostly along the bone. It smelled ok for the most part but there were a few spots that weren't favorable. Nothing that made me want to vomit, but I know most people would have tossed it out with the thought of "better safe than sorry." Not this scavenger!

I picked off a few spots I didn't care for and cooked it in the crock pot with loads of garlic.

I'm fine.

I've had several occasions over the years of eating food that was... less than fresh. An iron gut, I call it. I'm pretty sure I can digest damn near anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                          Raw garlic should be chopped up fine, allowed to sit for a few minutes, and then eaten.

This promotes the creation of a pungent antioxidant compound called "allicin" that thins the blood (for easier blood flow), reduces cholesterol, lowers tryglycerides, and reduces chronic inflammation markers.
                          Yes! that's exactly what I did/do. I've heard at least 10 mins, but not more than 30-45

Comment

Diana, so you were fine, but you said you were given a reaming by some friends. They found it unagreeable?

Comment

Originally posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
                              Diana, so you were fine, but you said you were given a reaming by some friends. They found it unagreeable?
                              Mostly they thought it was way too dangerous, and that I was being reckless and stupid for eating it. You know how people are- panicky. The slightest threat of a germ leaves them running for the Clorox.

Comment

Working...
                              X