X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    You, sir, (er, miss?), are awesome
    This gal thanks ye!

As you seem to have an entirely robust constitution, here is something to look up (but which I will NEVER try... found it a while back researching cheese varieties; I love cheese - the stronger and stinkier the better):

"casu marzu" on the Wikipedia

I do know my personal limits, though, and it has to do with eating bugs. Nuh uh, no way. I almost can't stomach watching the Klingons eat gagh/Ferengi eat tube grubs on TV, and that is just fiction. Which is why I say I have an iron stomach to a "decent" degree... there are some things I just won't do. I once watched Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs go to Minnesota and catch leeches from a lake up there with a couple of professional leech-gatherers - these crazy brothers then took some of the leeches and grilled them and one guess as to who had to sample... almost lost my lunch on that one.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
      In Germany they have a Master Butcher certifications and Apprenticeships. We have entirely lost all this knowledge, and now Germany is slowly loosing it also. I used to live in Germany and dream of having a Master Butchery in my town.
      Just to give you a little hope... I am seeing more and more US books out now about sausage-making and charcuterie, the old and slow way. But you are right - lots of Germans are now going veg to some degree and it seems nobody wants to do the butcher thing anymore. Of my German cousins, one is pesca-veg, one is ovo-lacto veg, and another is vegan. In the upscale grocery in Frankfurt I saw a lot of Italian fleshy stuff and not as much German as I had hoped.

Seriously - why don't you go and do the training yourself? I betcha you would make an absolute mint over here if you did that and opened up a shop stateside.
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

We don't use antibacterials in our house, and I'm pretty lax with most stuff. In fact, the milk in our fridge is a few days past expiration and we're still using it (it's from a local farm that does light pasteurization and doesn't homogenize), all the eggs are past expiry but I will use them until they start floating during the water test. Produce gets trimmed of mold/dark spots/etc. I take sell-by dates as a hint, not a rule. I wouldn't say we have iron stomachs, but we're certainly not germophobes.

That said, we bought a turducken roll (breast of turkey, duck, and chicken wrapped around cornbread stuffing) online last year for our Christmas dinner and we all got food poisoning from it. It came in a cooler with dry ice and was still frozen, so that wasn't the problem, I think it's just the thickness coupled with the stuffing made it easy to accidentally undercook it.

Comment

If I can get it past my tongue, I have an iron stomach for sure. One thing I have done often is eat food people have dropped on the trail. Like trail mix and m&ms. I found a candy bar on a bus once and ate it (it was still in the wrapper.) Street food in Mexico is better than restaurant food.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            Street food in Mexico is better than restaurant food.
            There was a time when I would have disagreed. But the more disappointed I get with local restaurant food, the more I would believe it.

Comment

Well, when I was younger I used to make a big pot of Chili on Sunday. I ate what I wanted then left it on the stove. Each night when I got home from work, I would turn on the stove to heat it up and take out a bowlfull. I usually had a big enough pot for this to last until the Saturday. Never went in the fridge - never got sick. Sometimes by the Saturday it had a bit of a greenish tinge. Greens are good - right?

Comment

Originally posted by twa2w View Post
                Well, when I was younger I used to make a big pot of Chili on Sunday. I ate what I wanted then left it on the stove. Each night when I got home from work, I would turn on the stove to heat it up and take out a bowlfull. I usually had a big enough pot for this to last until the Saturday. Never went in the fridge - never got sick. Sometimes by the Saturday it had a bit of a greenish tinge. Greens are good - right?
                My mom and brother do this with stew until it's absolutely rancid, then ask me to go dump it over the fence... as soon as I take that lid off it's a race to dump and run before I start spewing chunks from the terrible sour smell.
                -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Reading this thread makes me want to yak
                  "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Comment

Working...
                  X