Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Primal Blood Sugar Question

Hi All,
    So far this website has been awesome! I went Paleo 10 days ago before even finding this site. I am really having a hard time with feel like my blood sugar is low. I have checked it many times and anytime it is under 100 I have this fog and sort of dizzy feeling. Then when I am feeling good it is 100+ but less than 120. When I wake up in the morning it is 92-95. Has anyone experienced this? 80-99 should be the place I want to be at but it feels bad to me. Help as this is super frustrating!
    Thanks

I think your body is healing and adjusting to your new way of eating. Give it time and eventually your body will get used to it and things should go back to normal.

It's quite common for people to feel odd or out of place when starting a new way of eating that their body may not be used to.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I felt pretty nasty for 2 weeks when I started strict Paleo. I was already gluten free, too, for several years. People describe it in many ways: flu, fog, fatigue, etc. It wasn't unsettling; just annoying.

Low blood pressure? I went through a scary time, but further into Paleo. My fasting blood sugar was in the 80s, but turns out my blood pressure was 80/45. Ooops. Steady pulse in the 50s but that is my conditioned normal.

Added salt and caffeine to my diet and I feel better. I was also under the weather with some type of virus at the same time so maybe a double whammy.

My BP is naturally low: 90/50 my entire life with only occasional dizziness upon standing. I cannot tolerate much of a drop before I feel symptomatic.

It *is* super frustrating!
      Last edited by PHaselow; 12-11-2012, 06:39 PM.
      sigpic
      Age 48
      Start date: 7-5-12
      5'3"
      121lbs
      GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
      Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

I'm new too. 2 weeks. And for 1.5 weeks I was very dizzy and light-headed when I woke up in the morning and anytime I changed from 45 deg or less to 90 deg. Those effects have disappeared now. Also my energy lever is up a good bit.

I think these effect are caused by withdrawing from sugar and processed carbs.
        "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Gravity and insulin: the dynamic duo The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Really good article on how insulin works. Unless you have been diagnosed as diabetic--don't sweat your blood sugar, but eat to keep it as low as possible...this means cut waaaay back on sugar and don't snack a lot.

Comment

Are you sure your symptoms are from blood sugar? I'm prone to low BP---and that's how I feel in the morning if my BP is too low.

My sister is diabetic, and when her blood sugar is low, her symptoms are 'shakiness' and cold sweat.

If you're new to Primal eating, you may not be getting enough salt (processed foods contain tons of sodium, so eliminating processed foods often leaves folks initially low in salt) and that might lower BP.

Comment

Your body was used to a higher sugar, so a lower, normal sugar feels too low. Keep it steadily lower and it should pass within two weeks as your body decides this is the new normal.

Comment

Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
                Your body was used to a higher sugar, so a lower, normal sugar feels too low. Keep it steadily lower and it should pass within two weeks as your body decides this is the new normal.
                If not a BP issue I'd say you nailed it. This has been my experience.
                Last edited by Terry H; 12-12-2012, 11:34 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

update time. on day 12 i felt like something changed. day 13 i felt great. today is day 14 and i feel awesome. i have energy like i have not head for a long time, and i have been very strict on my carbs. i guess 32 year of bad food took 13 days to get my self to my new normal. i wanted to give up from day 8 on but i am so glad i stuck it out!

Comment

Originally posted by stone View Post
                    update time. on day 12 i felt like something changed. day 13 i felt great. today is day 14 and i feel awesome. i have energy like i have not head for a long time, and i have been very strict on my carbs. i guess 32 year of bad food took 13 days to get my self to my new normal. i wanted to give up from day 8 on but i am so glad i stuck it out!
                    Not sure what you mean by 'being strict on carbs', but if you want to be strict about something--stay away from sugar, veg oil, and flour. You may need 'carbs'. Get them in the form of starchy veg (potato, beets, carrots) and low sugar fruits like berries, bananas, etc... Others may have different advice, but the more you demonize and lump all carbs together, the less happy you will be in the long-run.

BUT, congratulations on choosing this path and regaining your health!

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                      Not sure what you mean by 'being strict on carbs', but if you want to be strict about something--stay away from sugar, veg oil, and flour. You may need 'carbs'. Get them in the form of starchy veg (potato, beets, carrots) and low sugar fruits like berries, bananas, etc... Others may have different advice, but the more you demonize and lump all carbs together, the less happy you will be in the long-run.

BUT, congratulations on choosing this path and regaining your health!
                      BUT if you are trying to lose weight, do go easy on the carbs. A few carbs can make a shocking difference in weight loss, at least for me! Keep them at least below 100. Once you have lost the fat you need to lose, you can eat a few more. The occasional potato, coconut water and a little fruit stopped my weight loss in its tracks for 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
                        BUT if you are trying to lose weight, do go easy on the carbs. A few carbs can make a shocking difference in weight loss, at least for me! Keep them at least below 100. Once you have lost the fat you need to lose, you can eat a few more. The occasional potato, coconut water and a little fruit stopped my weight loss in its tracks for 3 months.
                        I agree with 'below 100'. I just get concerned when people want to go zero-carb right off the bat and stay there. The OP may not have this problem, just wanted to point out that PB is not a strict low-carb diet.

Comment

I am getting back on path after being forced to because my insulin is all messed up.

Anyway, the doctor warned me that I would feel really bad the first 4-5 days while my insulin was still spiking & plummeting, and that it would take another 2-4 weeks for my body to really realize it wasn't going to be fed sugar/extra carbs & to stop trying to store fat, etc.

In your case, you might have been in early insulin resistance and your body is still adjusting. Your insulin could still be going too high & too low.

Whatever you do, keep it up! Give it 30 days. Try eating more often to stabilize it. I have had to do this for my particular case, and I'm finding that for ME (because we are all different!) this works SO much better than when I was trying to do Paleo with IF and infrequent eating. I'm not getting cranky or craving sugar. Basically, I plan the next small meal/snack and I eat before I get hungry - so before I can even think about having to use willpower, I'm already satisfied & not craving anything. No shaky feelings or nausea, etc. It seemed like I just couldn't adjust last time - and now after only 3 days I feel SO much better. Three hours between meals is my absolute max.

I can't say what will work for you, but don't assume you should be fasting just because it worked for someone else. We all have different health & body chemistry.

Comment

Working...
                          X