Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why am I still not getting used to this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am I still not getting used to this?

It's been about five months since I first went primal. I pretty much did it cold turkey -- dropped grains, sugar, and dairy all at once. It's been a long time, so why am I still so painfully uncomfortable and hungry all the time?

Here's what today (a typical day) looked like for me:
    Breakfast: 2 cage free eggs (fried in grass fed butter), 1/2 an avocado
    Lunch: other half of the avocado with a Trader Joe's chicken sausage (searched the case for the only flavor that didn't have added sugar -- only meat and spices)
    Snack around 3:00: 3 hard-boiled eggs
    Dinner: 6 oz grass fed ground beef with a handful of peppers/onions and a few artichokes

This feels like a lot of food... yet I still feel like I could die of hunger (or maybe it's not hunger... maybe it's something else).

Something strange I've noticed: if I'm at a restaurant with friends and end up having a little cheat, such as adding in an english muffin with my eggs, I feel worlds better... satisfied for hours. When that happens, part of me wants to say "screw it" and return to my calorie-counting days with grains added back in. But I know that would not be a good choice.

Any ideas? I really appreciate it.

sounds like you'd feel better with some carbs (and maybe more calories, too).

Comment

If that's all I ate in a day I'd feel hungry too. I'd add in way more vegetables and I'd also be eating more meat.

Comment

Originally posted by dgreenwood View Post
        If that's all I ate in a day I'd feel hungry too. I'd add in way more vegetables and I'd also be eating more meat.
        word...I don't know your particulars, but unless your a 95lb girl that don't look like much to me.

Comment

please. eat.

also: primal is not low carb
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalStudent View Post
            This feels like a lot of food... yet I still feel like I could die of hunger (or maybe it's not hunger... maybe it's something else).

Something strange I've noticed: if I'm at a restaurant with friends and end up having a little cheat, such as adding in an english muffin with my eggs, I feel worlds better... satisfied for hours. When that happens, part of me wants to say "screw it" and return to my calorie-counting days with grains added back in. But I know that would not be a good choice.

Any ideas? I really appreciate it.
            Hmm... it does seem like not enough food, depending on your age and size.

But, about feeling satisfied upon eating carbs - look up hyperinsulinemia and see if you have any of the other symptoms.

Comment

Yeah, you should be eating more food. Also as has been stated, you don't have to avoid all carbs. A potato is barely 25-30g carbs, if you're working out at ALL (which you should be) and are relatively healthy you shouldn't feel afraid to eat them, or any other starch. If you've eaten that way for 5 months, you must have sorted out all potential issues with metabolic derangement (insulin sensitivity, etc) and probably lost quite a bit of weight so definitely add some starches and re-asses. If you're worried about calories, slightly reduce added fat.

If I were you though, I'd start by just eating more food in general. I literally don't know how people can eat only 2 eggs and feel okay. This morning I had two hard boiled eggs with a can of sardines and a handful of almonds. I don't always eat breakfast, but when I do I like to beef it up.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

It doesn't look like a lot of food to me. I know I would feel starving on those portion sizes. Do you actually feel full after eating?
                High Weight: 225
                Weight at start of Primal: 189
                Current Weight: 174
                Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
                  It doesn't look like a lot of food to me. I know I would feel starving on those portion sizes. Do you actually feel full after eating?
                  No, I usually feel like I could eat much more -- and I think it's obvious from all these replies that I should be listening to my body, not trying to ignore it.

Thank you so much everyone

Comment

Eat some fruit.....
                    Have a banana with breakfast. Have an apple with your lunch. Eat two chicken sausages. Throw in some sweet potato with your beef.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                      sounds like you'd feel better with some carbs (and maybe more calories, too).
                      I agree with the more calorie recommendation first and foremost. Try that first. If you don't feel better on more fat (and some additional protein too), THEN experiment with adding back SMALL amounts of carbs back in (from primal-approved sources).

Your mialage with carbs may vary though. Some do well on high carbs, others do much better with low carbs. Play around with the levels (from a very low 20 grams or less all the way to a relatively high 150-200 grams) until you find the right level that allows you to maintain your weight AND feel good. One should not be the goal to the exclusion of the other, it's about finding that sweet spot.
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Your choices are pretty limited in variety, too. Processed meat (chicken sausage) and eggs mostly? A thick juicy steak, a pork roast or a trout now and then would spice things up a bit.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Eat carbs.

Comment

I agree with the other posters but wanted to add:

If you decide to add in more carbs, I personally feel completely different based on where they come from. Fruit makes me crave more food of almost any kind even junk food even though it is out of my system. Veggies of the low starch variety, are great, but can also leave me feeling really empty very soon afterwards. Starches feel awesome, very filling, satiating, easy to digest and easy to keep under control as long as I'm moderate with the salt and fat that I add to the starches. When I overdo those then the small satisfying portion of starch becomes something that sends me on a roller coaster of overeating starch. THIS IS HOW IT IS FOR ME. Everyone reacts differently. My main point is that experimenting is essential and don't think carbs don't work for you just because one type eaten in one type of way doesn't agree with you.
                            PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

To reiterate: constant hunger which is only satisfied by eating carbs is one of the main signs of hyperinsulinemia. Make sure you do not have that before you add carbs, or worse, fruit. That will only mess you up more.

We're on a bit of a carb kick around here, atm, it seems. The "carbohydrate hypothesis" has it's share of detractors, which is fine, but for those who actually have hyperinsulinema (however they got it) it is very true.

I think we could all give better advice if we had clear parameters - age/sex/height/weight and more info about diet. Have you run any FitDay calculations?

Comment

Working...
                              X