No announcement yet.

Help! Two weeks and no weight loss - newbie and need to lose 100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, drop the fruit and if you have a little cheat, NO wheat in it. More vegetables, salads, cooked veggies. I love fried eggplant (remember to cook in a good oil) mashed cauliflower and parsnips with butter, salt and pepper. I actually OD'd on the cauliflower last night. It was just too good. Go to the store and buy different kinds of non starchy veggies, spinach, lettuce, radishes, squash (one again, lovely fried), cauliflower, broccoli, avacados, tomatoes, peppers, greens to stir fry like turnip and kale. Even onions by themselves are nice fried up! I wouldn't go too wild with the cruciferous veggies though as they can inhibit the thyroid some, but they are fine in moderation or fermented (kimchee!).

Also, coming from a vegetarian (unless you were eating eggs) you probably don't have a lot of muscle and you are probably, as mentioned, putting on some muscle and bone density. I bet you've lost more than 1/2 lb of actual fat. So don't just go by the scale, start measuring your waist. Do the same way the same time of day (I both weigh and measure before I eat anything).

The vegetables mentioned above, especially raw ones, will help your liver, which, with your level of obesity is probably in poor shape and fatty. Your liver is very important for fat loss and taking some herbal supplements to help it work is a very good idea. Not only do you need your liver working well to help you lose fat, but even if it is working well, you are going to be putting a load on it all the time you are losing fat, both is the fat it has to process for energy, and in the toxins being released into your system from the fat you are burning.

Getting a glucose monitor is a good idea too. Seeing your readings improve is another motivation and lower blood glucose translates to lower body fat over time.

Also, I don't personally recommend pork. It's one of the most toxic meats. Beef, chicken, lamb, goat, turkey etc are all better meats.
    Last edited by AshleyL; 12-12-2012, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PghTrina View Post
      Thanks for all of the support! It being the holiday season, I felt pretty lucky only giving in to one small cookie this weekend. ;-) We don't keep that stuff in the house, but it's everywhere we go right now.

I'm also wondering about salt content. I'm a lot thirstier on this diet than I was before, and I wonder if that could somewhat account for losing 3 lbs one day, gaining 7 the next.
      Give it at least six more weeks. Ditch the scale for now and let your clothes be your measuring tool. It sounds like you're listening to your hunger cues which is great. Drink as much water as you need to quench your thirst. The amount will probably decrease after the initial release of water weight. Pay attention to how you feel in other ways besides weight. Feeling healthier and more energetic makes it easier to stay on track.

Limit fruit. Don't limit veggies. Don't fear the fat that occurs naturally or used for cooking but don't eat it by the spoonful either

And no snacking. If you're not hungry enough for a meal, you're not hungry. Practice experiencing true hunger (just have good primal foods planned and waiting)
      Sandra
      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Wow you've gotten a lot of good advice!

I have nothing to add except that cutting a pop habit and already experiencing "I'm not hungry" meal-skipping is HUGE for just 2 weeks! People here are really helpful but sometimes that can make you feel like you're doing something wrong. Doesn't really sound like you are doing much wrong here as you're already seeing health results. Just a few tweaks here and there.

Good work!

Comment

JMO, but get a food scale. I disagree that someone who needs to lose 100 pounds wouldn't see some loss if they are truly eating 1400-1500 calories per day. Maybe not as fast as men who eat that much, but there should be some loss even if all you ate was 1400 calories of bread and butter. If you are measuring your calories correctly, and you still haven't lost in a couple of weeks, I would go to a doctor and have a thyroid check.

The reason I'm saying this is that your description of what you're eating contains a lot of ambiguous portion sizes: a "serving," two "cups" (should be for liquid only as a measurement), a "small" cookie (I've seen a lot of small cookies with some bodacious calorie counts), etc.

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. Having been where you are, I'm just saying that you can't eyeball things or guesstimate, or use averages. Once you've eaten (for eg.) an eight ounce (weighed) portion of pork or beef or salmon a number of times, you might be able to relax a bit.

A quarter cup of nuts (on average) has about 160 calories. So, I agree with other posters here who mentioned getting rid of them for awhile.

Good luck!
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
          X