Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too many eggs

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-much-is-too-much/

This post got me thinking. I eat three eggs almost every morning along with bacon or ground beef and some veggies. They're delicious. But seeing as how Grok depended on stumbling across a nest to have access to eggs, I can't imagine that three jumbo-sized chicken eggs per day is exactly what my body is "designed" for.

Your thoughts?

If you are worried about this, try going without for a week or so and see if you notice any difference. If you do, then reduce your amount; if you don't, then go for that eggy goodness! (I also have a three-egg breakfast pretty much daily and they are absolutely delicious!)

Comment

Depends on your goals. If you're building muscle - eat as many as you want. If you're trying to lose fat, one whole egg and two yolks should do you fine.

Comment

suki - what's the rationale behind limiting eggs if one's trying to lose fat?

Comment

I have at least 6 eggs a day, often upwards of a dozen.
          “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Primal View Post
            suki - what's the rationale behind limiting eggs if one's trying to lose fat?
            yeah....?
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Not eggs, egg whites. Really, it's relative to the rest of the diet but there is such a thing as too much protein even while going VLC. If you're getting too much protein, you're just converting that extra protein into glycogen. Not unlike carbs.

The yolks are pure fat (good) and the whites are pure protein. There is an insulin response to dietary protein. There is no insulin response to dietary fat. Ultimately, you're storing fat because of insulin and if you find you're not losing fat while going VLC, I wouldn't be surprised if you need to tweak that protein / fat ratio a bit.

Comment

my world crumbles at the thought of not being able to eat at LEAST 20 eggs/week... maybe I don't need to be THAT lean...
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

suki - I get the gluconeogenesis thing. I was wondering more about your reference to "one" as opposed to the yolk/white distinction. Without knowing what other protein folks are eating, I just did a double take at the suggestion of "one." That's all. I understand where you're coming from re: gluconeogenesis. So, your clarification of "relative to the rest of the diet" makes perfect sense now...

Comment

i remember readin somewhere that if you dont eat the egg and yolk together, as one, then your body is unable to process the nutrition from the egg
                    Get on my Level
                    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

The yolks are pure fat (good) and the whites are pure protein.
                      I wasn't able to check fitday on this last night, but did this morning. Egg yolks have 2.7g of protein; egg whites have 3.6g.

Comment

Mark posted something about this today:

"Yesterday’s seasonality post discussed angles of “excess” and moderation. Yolks: we love you. Egg whites? They’re the rationale for taking a break once in a while. As I mentioned yesterday, Grok likely gorged when he got the chance, but it wasn’t an everyday opportunity. My suggested “ceiling” on eggs has less to do with amount and more to do with frequency. (Although I don’t think anyone should go so overboard that eggs becomes their sole protein source or edge out variety in their overall diet.) Since some folks develop sensitivities to eggs (again, the whites and their natural antimicrobial powers specifically) over time, I recommend taking regular breaks (and cutting back if sensitivities begin to appear). Skip certain days each week or take a longer “vacation” now and then – especially if you notice yourself not feeling quite the same after those crustless Primal quiches."

The frequency thing is really what I was getting at in my OP. I know you all love to eat eggs... But does that mean it's healthy to eat eggs daily, knowing Grok did not?

Comment

@ewrutledge: Do you really eat eggs every day? Whole month? Months? I should imagine everyone would get a bit bored with eggs and take a natural break! Or is it just me?

Anyway, I suggest that eating eggs frequently is not unhealthy, as long as you're not feeling any side-effects and you're ingesting protein from other sources too.

Comment

i dont thing PB is about paleo-reenacment - so it not really about weather or how frequently grok ate eggs... and if you really are worried or have sensitivity issues - just skip the whites and eat the yolks only (or minimize whites).
                            challenge yourself
                            i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by eva View Post
                              i dont thing PB is about paleo-reenacment - so it not really about weather or how frequently grok ate eggs... and if you really are worried or have sensitivity issues - just skip the whites and eat the yolks only (or minimize whites).
                              +1

Comment

Working...
                              X