bulletproof tea??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kata View Post
    Not necessarily. I'm very much a woman and I eat a helluva lot of fat, and I'm continuing to lose body fat. Granted, I'm also 6'0 so I guess I can get away with eating more than an average-sized woman. The perks of being a giant
    Obviously, if you're a larger woman or a very active one, you will be able to handle 700 calories in your morning coffee better than a small, sedentary woman. It doesn't change the fact that although 700 calories of fat won't knock you out of ketosis, it's still energy taken in and still counts toward your daily intake. If people account for it and choose to replace part or all of their morning meal with buttered coffee, well, then they seem to have positive experiences.

However, if you exceed your daily needs for an extended period of time, you can still gain weight, regardless of whether you're running on fat or carbs, and adding a lot of calories in the form of a bulletproof coffee still has an effect on that. Being a bigger, more active person simply means that the upper limit is probably higher for you.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
      The receipt is a stated in my posting; One cube of vegetable broth, 120 gram of organic butter from grass fed cows, and one teaspoon of oregano and some sea salt. Water. It's a fat-soup for people that want to stay in ketosis and lose weight, and since it is bulletproof you can't lose!!!

The only thing to remember is that you need to chop wood or pull a sledge for more than 12 hours per day, but if you remember to do that, you may lose 2 pound per day on this soup…
      Geesh, you use an ENTIRE one of those over-salted bullion cubes AND salt the broth? You may lose the weight, but I sure as hell foresee some terrible water bloating. That's gotta be over 2,000 mgs of sodium in addition to what you add to the other food you eat.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
        Geesh, you use an ENTIRE one of those over-salted bullion cubes AND salt the broth? You may lose the weight, but I sure as hell foresee some terrible water bloating. That's gotta be over 2,000 mgs of sodium in addition to what you add to the other food you eat.
        I am living in a hot place and I sweat a lot! But the butter is unsalted though...
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          Sigh.

Here are the links that explain how this is supposed to work.
          "supposed to work"? Hmm, do I sense that you are not completely convinced by the arguments from the Bulletproof™ executive yourself sbhikes?
          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I am not completely convinced, no. At least I'm not convinced that his coffee, special MCT oil and all the rest of his mysterious products are the answer to everything. A coffee with a moderate amount of butter and common household ingredients is a tasty beverage that I have been able to consume in the past without needing to eat until lunch or later. These days I just drink my coffee black, though.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

It helped me to learn to adjust to fasting & IFing. I have since cut it out, as most days I am trying to cut out the extra fats like that. However if I were doing a longer fast, not just IF type fast but like days at a time, I might use it again.
              65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I'm with sbhikes. I was a BP coffee fan and still have it occasionally but found out through experience that it is easier to just have quality coffee in the morning without added butter/coconut oil. With the fat I got really hungry by 11am, without I am finding it pretty easy to maintain my fast until noon. I seem to be losing fat quicker now, almost at target weight.
                I do believe BP coffee/tea is a useful tool to become a "fat burner", but once you have reached that state, those excess calories are only going to make it harder.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I am not completely convinced, no. At least I'm not convinced that his coffee, special MCT oil and all the rest of his mysterious products are the answer to everything. A coffee with a moderate amount of butter and common household ingredients is a tasty beverage that I have been able to consume in the past without needing to eat until lunch or later. These days I just drink my coffee black, though.
                  Sound wise! I have been doing intermittent fasting for a long time now and I follow Berkhams rule that you break the fast by ingesting more than 50 kcal, so that should be equivalent to a very small teaspoon of butter or oil. In the morning I usually drink black coffee, ice water or a mix of green and black tea. Later on I do some herbal tea with Splenda, and if feeling hungry I drink a large glass of very cold Coke Zero with a splash of lime juice. If feeling very hungry after noon I take a large tablespoon of codliver oil and technically that breaks my fast, but I get the essential fat acids (Omega 3) after all…

Originally posted by FlyingPig View Post
                  I do believe BP coffee/tea is a useful tool to become a "fat burner", but once you have reached that state, those excess calories are only going to make it harder.
                  Everybody burn fat daily, so you are already a fatburner...
                  Last edited by Gorbag; 12-11-2012, 09:05 AM.

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                    Everybody burn fat daily, so you are already a fatburner...
                    Since this is always contested as so (the fatburner thing), maybe we should all just recognize that in the context of being a "fat burner" it just mean using fat as fuel more efficiently and with less reliance on glucose. So if you get hypoglycemic attacks, headaches when you don't eat frequently, fatigue, and those other associated symptoms then your not a "good fat burner" yet. You likely also have some of the other symptoms of metabolic syndrome.
                    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-11-2012, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I have not been fasting. Maybe I should take it up again.

The thing that made me skeptical was his whole thing about the wet-processed coffee. I looked online and in local markets and nowhere could I find anyone who sold wet-processed coffee. Nobody ever specifies what kind of processing is used. I think I might have found an article about it or two on some health web sites, but not a single seller of coffee ever specified what processing was used. Apparently, no matter what processing is used, there's always some fungus and the USDA specifies how much is allowed and that's about as good as it gets for quality. My guess is that so long as it's some kind of single-origin coffee, you are doing the best you can. Since the bulletproof exec doesn't actually say where he gets his magic coffee beans from, I felt skeptical that his beans were as magic as he said they were.

As for the MCT oil, since I'm doing the paleo/primal thing, I'm a little skeptical that MORE processing of my food makes it better. So I stick to plain old coconut oil if I put any in my coffee. I did use Kerrygold for the butter.

I basically have never actually had real bulletproof executive bulletproof coffee. I never "did the program." My skepticism got the better of me, I suppose, but really at this point in my journey, nothing ever has the miracle effects anybody promises. Eating real food and weight lifting seems to do the best at making me feel awesome. Everything else doesn't do anything much.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        Since this is always contested as so (the fatburner thing), maybe we should all just recognize that in the context of being a "fat burner" it just mean using fat as fuel more efficiently and with less reliance on glucose. So if you get hypoglycemic attacks, headaches when you don't eat frequently, fatigue, and those other associated symptoms then your not a "good fat burner" yet. You likely also have some of the other symptoms of metabolic syndrome.
                        Yes, we can adapt to using fat or ketone bodies more efficient for fuel, but I am not sure that ingesting butter in tea/coffee will have any benefits for becoming a more efficient “fatburner” versus taking the coffee/tea without the butter. Au contraire, in the morning hours the body will rely mostly on fat for the more easy going activities and ingesting butter will not "teach" the body to be more efficient in doing what it is already doing pretty well. An important difference will be that the body will burn the butter from tea or coffee before burning stored bodyfat, and that’s what most people don’t want I guess…

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Actually Gorbag, I've read that making coconut oil your main fat during the switch to ketosis can lower the transition time. As I understand it, the MCTs in coconut oil more efficiently convert to ketones so as long as the MAJORITY of your fat comes from high MCT sources, you are theoretically able to produce more ketones quicker. It's not NECESSARY to do this when transitioning, but it can help.

But then again, simply fasting (without the added fat from your bulletproof beverages) should also keep the ketogenic state just fine after your "nightly fast" so if you really don't feel a need to eat anything on a particular morning there's no need to force the bulletproof beverage thing. I'd keep it to times where I want to maintain ketosis but need an influx of calories to keep me going.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I dunno that it will "teach" the body anything either. It will just control insulin and improve sensitivity as a part of the IF. Curbs hunger and particularly in the case of the coconut oil and such provide ketones for energy. That part may be important for those that arent acclimated and metabolically flexible yet. I see BP anything as more of a crutch for those transitioning into IF. Or as an adjunct for those already in and working into ketosis.

I personally use heavy cream....and probably only ingest about 100-200 calories of it for breakfast. I've been doing this for a longer time though (longer than I've been paleo or even heard of IF'ing in fact) and never have had a significant amount of insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome.

Comment

I used to have bulletproof coffee in the morning, with about half a stick of butter and some coconut oil. But eventually I found that to be such a hassle to mix every morning that I switched back to heavy cream or just black coffee. I did lose weight while doing it, but I was around 340 lbs at the time; I could lose two pounds a day just by thinking too hard in my first few months on PB/Paleo.

I still have bulletproof coffee now and then on weekends, when I generally sleep till noon and then goof the day away. It's just not a regular thing.

For me, the "magic" part of eating lots of fat isn't that it makes me lose weight; it's that eating lots of fat makes me want to eat less of everything. I don't have to worry about counting bulletproof coffee as a meal, or about being really conscious of what I eat through the rest of the day, because I just don't want as much. But given what I've read in these forums over the past year, I've come to the conclusion that fat triggers a stronger and longer-lasting sense of satiety in me than it does in a lot of people. I can easily and happily exist on about 1000 cal a day, if the first 500 come from fat. So my worry is usually "have I eaten enough?" rather than "did I eat too much?"

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                                I personally use heavy cream....and probably only ingest about 100-200 calories of it for breakfast. I've been doing this for a longer time though (longer than I've been paleo or even heard of IF'ing in fact) and never have had a significant amount of insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome.
                                You are far too modest Neckhammer, I have seen people suggest 120 gram of butter in the coffee on one of these threads! That's the same amount of calories as 14 whole eggs that would keep the ketosis present and also tastes pretty good along with black coffee...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                                X