Fermented Foods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermented Foods

What are your favorites, how much do you eat them and if anyone has got any recipe's lay em on down!

beer.. scot's whisky, wine/mead.... thems my favs..

Comment

Originally posted by jermicide View Post
      beer.. scot's whisky, wine/mead.... thems my favs..
      LOL, I love me some yogurt, and various wines.... haven't had experience with much else
      ~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

Comment

Kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchee, whiskey. Each about one or two servings per week.
        Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

I like all fermented foods practically. I only make kombucha and dandelion wine at the moment.

Comment

i love kombucha! ate allot of tempeh as a vegetarian but havent touched it since i started eating beef again. I bought a jar of spicy kimchee from whole foods, its really good on its own or mixed in with leftovers/salad
            sigpic

Comment

Ohmygod MEAD!! Had a minor phase when I found some in my old town, to the point of looking up how to brew it. I dread to think of the carb count though.

I'm assuming "fermented" does not include "pickled"?

Comment

I'm Korean so I get plenty of this in all forms of Kimchi!! Cucumber, cabbage, leaves, radish etc... my mother still makes it from scratch so I stop into her house 1x week and get my fill!
                http://danimalk.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yogurt, kefir, LF red cabbage and LF ginger carrots. THE BEST.

Sooze

Comment

This is how I make cultured/fermetned veggies: http://www.bodyecology.com/cveggies.php

My favorite blend is cabbage, carrots, onions (love to use chives here), garlic (scapes if they are available/in season--mmmm), radishes, and ginger. SOOOOO good!!! Ferment for about 5 days, or until desired tanginess (I ferment longer when it's cool out, shorter when it's hot...)

Yum yum yum yum yum...
                    My Before/After Pics
                    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                      This is how I make cultured/fermetned veggies: http://www.bodyecology.com/cveggies.php

My favorite blend is cabbage, carrots, onions (love to use chives here), garlic (scapes if they are available/in season--mmmm), radishes, and ginger. SOOOOO good!!! Ferment for about 5 days, or until desired tanginess (I ferment longer when it's cool out, shorter when it's hot...)

Yum yum yum yum yum...
                      Do you use the starter they talk about? Does it end up tasting similar to sauerkraut? Unfortunately, I'm the only person in my household who likes kraut. I recently bought some at the farmers market, and I'm the only one who is eating it. I added some to my tuna the other day in tuna salad, and it was really good. I might be able to get my family to eat it that way.

I make kefir milk every day and we use it to make ranch dressing and smoothies.

Comment

definately sauerkraut, but i make my own variations with cucumbers, carrots, leeks, onions, garlic etc etc
                        challenge yourself
                        i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ah! FairyRae, I like that combination. Do you know how it would work with whey instead of salt (lacto-fermentation)?

I make yogurt, kombucha, and kefir. Is kefir a ferment? I think so. I also lacto-ferment things every now and then from the whey I strain out of my (greek style) yogurt. I'm new at the lacto-fermenting, so I have a jar of pickled cucumbers and carrots that taste a little odd. Kimchee is a favorite of mine so I'll try that next..

My kitchen is a science experiment.
                          Little Saiyan

Comment

Originally posted by Minky View Post
                            Do you use the starter they talk about? Does it end up tasting similar to sauerkraut?
                            We have made the BED cultured veggies FairyRae mentioned, using the BED culture starter they refer to. We really liked it a lot (mine had a bit more kick to it; my wife like her's a little milder...), but it takes a bit of work so we haven't made any in a while. I'm not a huge sauerkraut fan, and I wouldn't say it tasted much like that, at least not the particular combo of veggies we used.

Comment

Ooo--I DON'T use the BED starter, just salt, and it works fine. I don't use whey (al la nourishing traditions, etc.) b/c ds is dairy intolerant. I use just a little bit of salt b/c I think it takes a lot longer w/ the salt.

Me and ds are the only ones who eat it here, (my husband makes a gag face whenever I bring them out) but they last for months and months in the fridge, so I always make a big batch in the summer to last--I'm still eating out of some of my summer packed jars from last year! I think they are yummy! I too like them pretty strong tasting.

Oh, and to respond to part of the original question, I eat maybe 1-2 TBS. at least 1x a day--more if I remember. I like to eat them w/ meals to aid digestion.

I've also made juice kefir in the past (just putting milk grains in juice), along w/ coconut milk kefir. We haven't done the juice in a while (watching carbs now) but it can make the most delicious sparkling grape juice! Also, check out this: http://www.wildfermentation.com/ Sandor Katz wrote *the* book on fermentation (http://www.wildfermentation.com/book...rmentation.php), and it's a great read, and the site has lots of goodies as well. I really want to try making some hard apple cider (from the recipe in his book) this fall--all you do is take a jug of apple cider, take off the lid and cover the top w/ cheesecloth and leave it for a few weeks. My cousin tried it and it came out awesome, and it also totally *worked* as a yummy alcoholic beverage.

Fermentation rocks!
                              My Before/After Pics
                              Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Working...
                              X