Saving & reusing leftover bacon fat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katemary View Post
    antique grease can...what do they look like? I wonder if they are made anymore or whether antifat movement has made them extinct

I have dim memories of my dad keeping 'drippings' in a metal container in the fridge when I was growing up. Might see if I can google something

It's just a square can with lid, under the lid is the tray with a little handle on it. I got it from my wife's grandmother. It hadn't been used in years until I asked for it.

Comment

Leftover? never had any. Always pour it over my meal.

Comment

Yes, covered Pyrex bowl in the fridge at all times. Not strained (but if you let it sit in the pan for few minutes before pouring it off, the bits sink to the bottom and you can leave most of them behind.) I cook about 1lb of bacon a week, and it renders enough fat to always have enough on hand. I fry eggs or other meats in it, add it to extra-lean hamburger (venison is too lean without it), roast veggies in it, baste a roast with it before sprinkling the seasonings on it.
        Sandra
        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

I keep a canning jar next to the stove and pour the bacon grease in there. It's *never* full and we never have any to store in the fridge b/c I use it with everything!

Edit: And I don't strain it or anything.
          Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
          X