Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee before breakfast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coffee before breakfast

    So for the last few months at the weekends and days off from work, I have a black coffee upon rising, then do a workout, either aerobic run or bike up to an hour, sometimes weights, but predominately a bike or run.

    This feels good, workouts going strong. I tend to finish my workout, shower, then have a leisurely breakfast.

    So far so good, until I come across these:

    Coffee before breakfast cereal boosts blood sugar: study.

    The Breakfast Manifesto - The Coffee Junkie's Guide to Caffeine Addiction -- New York Magazine

    And there are lots more of these studies, some studies suggest a 250% rise in blood sugar compared to those who drank decaffeinated coffee an hour before eating cereal.

    Any opinions, research against this? I have read lots of pros and cons for coffee, and feel having 1 cup a day isn't doing any harm, but if these studies are right, then best skip it before breakfast!

    Thanks for any advice.

  • #2
    Mark has a blog post about coffee... I think the gist of it is that coffee releases fatty acids into the blood stream for use before working out, so it's good in that way.

    Bear in mind, people in those studies are eating CW for the most part. If your system is basically screwed up, you aren't going to get the normal effect of eating (or drinking) anything.

    I love coffee.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm a T1 D and haven't noticed this at all. You cd. put this to rest one way or the other by buying a cheap 19.95 BG monitoring kit that comes w/strips. I'd be interested to know what you found out w and w/o heavy creme. Good luck. You're skipping the cereal?

      Comment


      • #4
        Earlier research has shown that, ``whether you're a healthy individual, obese or a Type 2 diabetic, when you ingest caffeine and then follow that with some food that's carbohydrate-based, for a prolonged period of time - certainly six hours at least - your body becomes insulin resistant,'' says Terry Graham, professor of human health and nutritional sciences at the University of Guelph.
        But, if you don't eat "carbohydrate-based" food then....?

        What does that say about people who drink Coke or coffee all day, along with their breads and sugars???

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RaeVynn View Post
          Mark has a blog post about coffee... I think the gist of it is that coffee releases fatty acids into the blood stream for use before working out, so it's good in that way.

          Bear in mind, people in those studies are eating CW for the most part. If your system is basically screwed up, you aren't going to get the normal effect of eating (or drinking) anything.

          I love coffee.
          Hi, that's why I started the coffee before exercising in the mornings to help the fat burning, and so far the results have been good.
          Did look at Mark's posts, one pro coffee:

          Does Coffee Decrease Insulin Sensitivity? | Mark's Daily Apple

          and one maybe not so good:

          Caffeine Talk | Mark's Daily Apple

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Terry H View Post
            I'm a T1 D and haven't noticed this at all. You cd. put this to rest one way or the other by buying a cheap 19.95 BG monitoring kit that comes w/strips. I'd be interested to know what you found out w and w/o heavy creme. Good luck. You're skipping the cereal?
            Hi

            Yes skipping the cereal!

            Have thought of trying the BG monitor for a while now, may give it a go, I'm on holiday now to after christmas, so a good time to test.
            Cheers

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SarahW View Post
              But, if you don't eat "carbohydrate-based" food then....?

              What does that say about people who drink Coke or coffee all day, along with their breads and sugars???
              Hi

              Yes I was thinking that too! if the studies are right, then they will be really messsed up!

              Interesting, just looked at the links I posted, and both are quoting the same study, as do lots of links I've found!

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for those links, JohhnyH. It's tempting to sit and read after drinking the morning coffee, and the first link says get up and move, as you do. Signing off....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Interesting article here, long read, but some good stuff:

                  Coffee and Insulin - How Caffeine Affects Fat Burning and Weight Loss

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Jonny-
                    Here's why I don't believe those 'studies.' I love my morning coffee, and because of medical issues, I have fasting blood tests done every 4 months. I have to drive 30 min. to my doctor's office for these tests, and I hated doing it 'coffee-less.'

                    THEN I learned that black coffee was OK for a fasting blood test, so now I drink a pot of coffee (3 cups) before I leave.

                    So for perhaps 5 years, I was being tested while totally fasting, and for the past year, I've had my black coffee prior to the blood draw. There has been absolutely no increase in my fasting blood glucose number from drinking the coffee. In fact, if it made a difference, I doubt that black coffee would be allowed before the test.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by emmie View Post
                      Jonny-
                      Here's why I don't believe those 'studies.' I love my morning coffee, and because of medical issues, I have fasting blood tests done every 4 months. I have to drive 30 min. to my doctor's office for these tests, and I hated doing it 'coffee-less.'

                      THEN I learned that black coffee was OK for a fasting blood test, so now I drink a pot of coffee (3 cups) before I leave.

                      So for perhaps 5 years, I was being tested while totally fasting, and for the past year, I've had my black coffee prior to the blood draw. There has been absolutely no increase in my fasting blood glucose number from drinking the coffee. In fact, if it made a difference, I doubt that black coffee would be allowed before the test.
                      But according to that article, the rise in blood sugar only happens after eating carbohydrates. So it is, by definition, a non-fasting measurement.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My initial thoughts are that they studied coffee that contains sugar...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by emmie View Post
                          Jonny-
                          Here's why I don't believe those 'studies.' I love my morning coffee, and because of medical issues, I have fasting blood tests done every 4 months. I have to drive 30 min. to my doctor's office for these tests, and I hated doing it 'coffee-less.'

                          THEN I learned that black coffee was OK for a fasting blood test, so now I drink a pot of coffee (3 cups) before I leave.

                          So for perhaps 5 years, I was being tested while totally fasting, and for the past year, I've had my black coffee prior to the blood draw. There has been absolutely no increase in my fasting blood glucose number from drinking the coffee. In fact, if it made a difference, I doubt that black coffee would be allowed before the test.
                          Hi Emmie, thanks for reply. Interesting stuff, the more I look around the web, the more I think I'm worrying too much about this, I've only really found 1 study against coffee on empty, and lots pro the coffee fasted prior to exercise.
                          I'm sat here typing while waiting for my boiled eggs to do for my breakfast, having just done my morning 30min aerobic run, after my coffee of course, feel great!
                          Cheers

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X