food measurements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• food measurements

Can someone please give me an example of what 50g of veggies/fruit looks like? I am horrible with weighing out food as the concept is difficult for me to grasp. I never claimed to be a math major I simply learn better by visualizing things. I am at about 21% bf and would really love to get to 18%. Thanks for the help all.

Originally posted by schmotza View Post
    Can someone please give me an example of what 50g of veggies/fruit looks like? I am horrible with weighing out food as the concept is difficult for me to grasp. I never claimed to be a math major I simply learn better by visualizing things. I am at about 21% bf and would really love to get to 18%. Thanks for the help all.
    You can easily hold 50 grams in the palm of your hand.

Comment

Nutritiondata.com can be helpful if you don't have a scale.
      Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Apples, raw, with skin [Includes USDA commodity food A343]

For example, a 3-1/4" apple is about 223g. So 1/4 of that large apple would be about 50g by weight and contain about 8g of carbohydrate.

Comment

50 grams is under 2 ounces. You seriously need a scale. 50 grams would look very different depending on what you're eating and the density/water content of your food. It could range anywhere from a big chunk of apple to a huge bowl of spinach. You can't eyeball this exactly.
        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

You can pick up a cheap scale with on amazon for 20ish. I got mine on woot before amazon bought woot and turned it into a junk site.
          -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
            50 grams is under 2 ounces. You seriously need a scale. 50 grams would look very different depending on what you're eating and the density/water content of your food. It could range anywhere from a big chunk of apple to a huge bowl of spinach. You can't eyeball this exactly.
            I agree -- the only real way to learn it is to measure it out and get familiar with what it means for each food. I'm sure you can get a cheap scale for next to nothing at a thrift store or chain store. Just play around with the staples in your diet and get used to what 50g or 100g looks like. I do that with volume measurements, too...so when I grab a handful of mixed nuts or almonds, I know about how much a 1/4 cup is.

Comment

I resisted getting a food scale for a long time because I thought weighing and measuring was 'obsessive.' It's one of the best investments I've ever made! I discovered that I was good at eyeballing some things--but way off with others. It's nice to be sure.

Comment

so in order to become total fat burning you basically can't really eat any vegetables??? i try to include them every time I eat.

Comment

What? Who said that? Eat some vegetables. If you're eating more calorically dense foods like meat or cheese or nuts, weigh them out. Vegetables, I wouldn't bother. You're hardly going to overeat spinach.
                  F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I think you must buy a scale and design a plan for your daily diets that what and how much you eat daily.Because a proper diet plan will help you in getting better result and you also get your desire fitness. I have diet plan for each week that's why i have a grip on my weight.
                    Last edited by Andrewsmith; 01-13-2014, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmotza View Post
                      Do you mean 50g of vegetables or fruit, the amount of vegetables/fruit that would provide 50g of carbs?

If the latter, it's going to differ greatly depending on which vegetable or fruit you're talking about.
                      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

I always have/use: food scale, measuring spoons, measuring cups. Using the govt idea of a deck of cards, the palm of one's hand, etc., makes my head explode, and I hate wiping brains off the wall.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                        X