What veggies add little taste to soup/stew/chili

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nelle View Post
    I got some very wise advice from here a while back when I was complaining about not liking veggies. I took it to heart and started getting over my own veggie issues: "Suck it up. Not everything is supposed to be a party for your mouth."
    It's not a suck it up kinda thing. Most vegetables, within a couple of chews, violently trigger my gag reflex and/or cause super mucus production that leaves me completely congested. If I eat about 1/4 of an apple, I'm breathing out of my mouth for an hour.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

It's not a suck it up kinda thing. Most vegetables, within a couple of chews, violently trigger my gag reflex and/or cause super mucus production that leaves me completely congested. If I eat about 1/4 of an apple, I'm breathing out of my mouth for an hour.
      Hey, have you ever been tested for allergies? I have a coworker who has issues with a bunch of fruit because of an allergy to one of the compounds in them (apples, cherries, grapes, peaches....)

If it's not an allergy issue, I remember seeing a thread around here somewhere about a mom looking for different ways of cooking veggies for her daughter, who had a genuine disorder that made her unable to eat foods prepared certain ways - it has to do with textures and tastes. You don't "have" to put veggies in the stew - make it about the meat, and roast a veggie on the side? (the consensus for the mom was roasting tended to have the best results, with a bit of butter or something on top...)
      ____
      Here is the link to the other discussion - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64995.html
      Last edited by irishfoxy; 12-10-2012, 07:06 PM. Reason: add link
      28 years old, insurance broker
      starting weight 195 lbs (5'4")
      working on losing weight, getting active, and curing my GERD

Comment

Have you seen anyone about the gag reflex? Doctor, Occupational Therapist? Or some other therapist that works with these issues?

I do gag on cooked red and green peppers, so I do understand, but it is the texture mostly for me. Is it texture for you? The cooked factor? (My grandma cooked everything to mush - my mom had stuff slightly crunchy - much better.) Taste? If taste, sauces may help. If you can give us a better idea of what causes it, we may be able to help out a bit more.

I have known some kids who had gag issues with eating and it drove the parents nuts. You have my sympathy as it has to be worse when you are an adult.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfoxy View Post
          Hey, have you ever been tested for allergies? I have a coworker who has issues with a bunch of fruit because of an allergy to one of the compounds in them (apples, cherries, grapes, peaches....)

If it's not an allergy issue, I remember seeing a thread around here somewhere about a mom looking for different ways of cooking veggies for her daughter, who had a genuine disorder that made her unable to eat foods prepared certain ways - it has to do with textures and tastes. You don't "have" to put veggies in the stew - make it about the meat, and roast a veggie on the side? (the consensus for the mom was roasting tended to have the best results, with a bit of butter or something on top...)
          ____
          Here is the link to the other discussion - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64995.html
          I'll have to read that thread.

Originally posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
          Have you seen anyone about the gag reflex? Doctor, Occupational Therapist? Or some other therapist that works with these issues?

I do gag on cooked red and green peppers, so I do understand, but it is the texture mostly for me. Is it texture for you? The cooked factor? (My grandma cooked everything to mush - my mom had stuff slightly crunchy - much better.) Taste? If taste, sauces may help. If you can give us a better idea of what causes it, we may be able to help out a bit more.

I have known some kids who had gag issues with eating and it drove the parents nuts. You have my sympathy as it has to be worse when you are an adult.
          It's not really the taste, I don't think. It's mostly the texture. I can chew raw carrots all day long, when I go to swallow them I immediately start gagging. If they are in a stew or boiled I can swallow them all day long. Peppers I can eat raw or cooked. Potatoes I can eat raw or cooked (yeah I said raw heh). Tomatoes I can do raw but it's much easier if they have been softened up from cooking. Onions I can do until they get real limp from sauteing, even if I can't see them in something I know when that slug-like mass is in my mouth.
          -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Yeah you could have some kind of sensory disorder there, if the textures are bothering you.

Comment

Working...
            X